• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you not like about your favourite generation?

hanecco

Hoppip Appreciator
Reaction score
My favourite is Gen V (BW1). I wasn't happy with how small the post game activities were, and how bad Musicals were compared to Contests. I'm also not a fan of berries being locked to the Dream World, which is now inaccessible.

My favorite generation is also Gen 5. Aesthetically, my major gripes with it would probably be the spriting (the pixelation of the Pokémon sprites looks bad, as do the blurry battle backgrounds; in the overworld, people look weirdly stretched out and the trees look very two-dimensional) and the low health music (although to be fair, that extends out of one of the generation's best ideas: dynamic music). The Starters of Unova are also probably my least-favorite set, though they do still have their charms.

I'm not sure if I have any major problems with the generation in terms of content or technical capabilities. At least, none that I can blame on it directly - I do dearly miss the Dream World and all of the Wi-Fi features, but it's not exactly a problem inherent to BW that they weren't developed for the 3DS, or that the server host company for the DS Wi-Fi folded. If anything, I appreciate their ambition in still trying to elevate what the DS games were capable of.

My favourite generations are Gen III (Emerald), Gen IV (HGSS), and Gen V (BW2).

Gen III: there is no physical/special move split.

Gen IV: the ability to customise your own room was removed.

Gen V: I don't like how the moving Pokémon sprites are too pixilated, and the dynamic camera kinda zoomed in on their butts.

Last edited:
Gen V was pretty much all-around my favorite and had very minor problems. BUT, if there is one thing I have to nitpick about that I didn't like, it would be the Musicals. I only tried them once, and I really didn't think highly of them. Granted, I rarely dabble in stuff like that (I only entered, like, 2 contests in Gen III, and I didn't bother with Sinnoh's contests, and I didn't like Pokethon, as it required a bit too much effort for not enough reward, at least to me), but Musicals were bit of a downer regardless. Too bad they weren't like how the Adventures manga portrayed them, as they looked/felt more fun (plus it had a rather nice origin in the manga). But, overall, outside of minor gripes, Gen V was pretty solid. Musicals were really the only really "bad" part to me.

Favorite Gen is Gen 5

The fact that the Original Dragon wasn't introduced when Kyurem became able to fuse in B2W2 was a huge missed opportunity.

Last edited:
Favorite is gen IV.

DP's got a really weird pokedex, with some super odd pokemon designs and bad type distributions. A large chunk of the gen IV mons are just evolutions of older ones, lots of which aren't available during the main game for whatever reason. It also had a lot of legendaries that were event exclusive too, so if you never got to go to one, you were basically screwed out of ever getting them. It's also suuuuuper slow.

HGSS has got that awful level curve and gym leaders with too few Johto mons. The Johto pokemon aren't my favorites either, to be honest.

Oh lmao.

My favorite generation was the first one, and there is a whole bucket list of issues with that. Mainly with the broken balancing where certain types were too OP (Psychic and Dragon), bugged type match-ups (Ghost being weak to Psychic as opposed to the other way around), buggy mechanics with moves that make some of them pointless, and just an overall buggy experience that is prone to easily breaking.

That and as much as I earnestly do love Kanto and its Pokemon and cast, I also have to agree that the Gen 1 prevalence has also gotten old now. Even I have grown a little tired of it after so many playthroughs. But I still like Gen 1 well enough for what it is and what it was. And in a way, the bugginess does form part of its charm. Gen 1 Kanto is a very eerie and disturbing place and I think the bugs (as stupid as they are) add to that feeling.

Generation IV.

• HM's are at their most egrigious here, out of any of the games. 6 HM's needed just to get through Mount Coronet.
  • Game speed in general, iss too slow, couldve been faster. Walking, running, surfing, battling, just about everything.
  • The game takes a while to get going. The game really opens up once you're at Hearthome, but anything prior feels like a slog sometimes.

Oh wait, I just remembered B2W2's difficulty settings. Absolute incompetence. But that feels like easy pickings because most people agree on that. Same for the weird time limit thing they put on Black City/White Forest.

This is for Generation II and also extends to HGSS:

1. Johto Pokemon aren't represented enough in their own region.
  2. Archer and Ariana should have been fleshed out. Giovanni should have scolded them and won his son's respect.
  3. Kanto should have had more story events. The legendary birds should have been tied to Lugia.
  4. The level curve, while not as bad as people make it out to be, should have followed the RGBY template and made Red more accessible.

Since Gen V has risen to be my favorite, time to bash it!

Dream World requiring internet access and no longer available once Gen VI began. Due to having shitty internet from 2011-2013, I basically missed out on the Dream World entirely. No other Pokemon game has an interactive peripheral that is hyped up in-game so it feels like a tremendous loss to have not been able to use it. Plus if kids today wanted to play the game for the first time it's something they're missing out on that they never even had the chance to experience.

Another thing I didn't like is less to do with the games themselves and more to do with the Pokemon introduced. They evolve at such late levels compared to Pokemon introduced in other games. Larvesta evolving to Volcarona at Lv59, Deino evolving into Zweilous at Lv50 and then evolving to Hydreigon at Lv64! It's crazy! I love both of these Pokemon yet I could never use them on an in-game team because I usually get to the Elite Four around Lv50-55. I remember the first time I played White I had to grind my team up to Lv55 just so I'd have a fully evolved Braviary going in.

Last gripe, I promise! Not being able to trade until you've beaten the first Gym. Something I've typically done since Gen I is start the game, trade a friend my starter, restart the game, trade a second starter, restart the game, choose the third starter, trade my first two back so I have all three. That didn't happen this time. By the time I beat Striation Gym and Aspertia Gym I was already too invested in the game.

Ok, I lied but only because someone else reminded me of it. B2W2 being the only Pokemon games ever to offer a difficulty feature but have it Version Exclusive, tied to the Key System, and only unlockable after beating the game. Since you can only have one file at a time on a Pokemon cartridge you have to restart your game to play on a different difficulty and only if it's the one tied to your game unless you got the other key from a friend.

Other than that, excellent games. It's got the best story of any Pokemon game far above all others... but why am I praising it here when I've already done so in the favorite generation topic. ;)

My favorite Gen was Gen 2, and I despise its anime adaptation. The Johto saga minus the pre-Goldenrod episodes was trash in my opinion. I can't even rewatch most of the episodes since I either fall asleep during the fillers or I end up getting angry at some of the bad writing in the two-parters and mini-arcs.

As far as game content goes though, Gen 2 had too much emphasis on Kanto since most of the Pokemon that were found in Johto were Kanto natives and so many rare Johto Pokemon had to be obtained via trading or during the post-game.

Well, I like both Generation III and IV equally, so:
Generation III - no physical/special split, lack of post-game areas in the Hoenn games, no day/night cycle, poorly developed rivals, lack of Ice-types in Hoenn Dex, lack of moves such as X-Scissor, Iron Head, Stone Edge, Close Combat and Brave Bird
Generation IV - awful regional Dex in Diamond/Pearl, atrocious level curve in HeartGold/SoulSilver, the location-based evolutions have to be traded from Sinnoh, Voltorb Flip is tedious, Johto Pokemon are once again poorly represented.

Generation V was, and still is, one of my all time favorites. There's little I don't like about it, actually. One thing I didn't like was how the 3D and the 2D graphics kind of clashed together at times. Whenever perspective stuff got done, it made the character sprite either look weirdly distant or squashed and low quality. It gives it a weird, unique flair though, so I wouldn't wish it away.

That's about it really.

Johto Pokemon aren't represented enough in their own region.
As far as game content goes though, Gen 2 had too much emphasis on Kanto since most of the Pokemon that were found in Johto were Kanto natives and so many rare Johto Pokemon had to be obtained via trading or during the post-game.
This was a point I actually wanted to bring up, since Gen 2 is another favorite of mine.

I really hate that, for as much as Steel and Dark types were a big deal back then, they were poorly distributed in those games. Umbreon and Magnemite were really only the viable Pokemon you could get early on (Skarmory too but that's still pretty late), while everything else was either delegated to the post-game Kanto or necessitated trading. At the very least, Houndour and Murkrow should have been native to Johto somewhere. And IIRC, they didn't even fix that with HGSS.

I remember playing as a kid and being bummed out and envious that Team Rocket used Houndours and Murkrows whereas I could never find them.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom