• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you not like about your favourite generation?

Gen 3 gave us the ultra cool double battles, but very few opportunities to try it out in the main game. And one of those opportunities is the joke gym leaders that are Tate and Liza. No 7th gym leader should be that easy, particularly considering that my strategy was exactly the same as gym leader #1.

Another thing about Gen 5, both the Forces of Nature and the Swords of Justice felt very detached from the region, each only having just a few explanations on how they are related to Unova. Just a few tidbits on lore aren't enough to make them worth my time catching them. With Alola, at least the Tapus had a big deal as minor legendaries in Alola.

both the Forces of Nature and the Swords of Justice felt very detached from the region, each only having just a few explanations on how they are related to Unova

They also don’t seem to fit Unova’s New York theme very well. Honestly in my opinion I feel that Unova has fewer Pokémon that connect to its real-life counterpart than Kalos and Alola.

Last edited:
They also don’t seem to fit Unova’s New York theme very well. Honestly in my opinion I feel that Unova has fewer Pokémon that connect to its real-life counterpart than Kalos and Alola.

I mean, Unova has 156 Pokémon. It kinda stands to reason that they wouldn't be able to contrive a thematic New Yorkian link to as many as they could Parisian/Hawaiian links in Kalos and Alola, which both had far smaller rosters of new Pokémon. For Unova, they had to design an entire region's worth of new Pokémon, and that's a lot of different types and environments to account for, even if the region is based on New York.

That said, I don't think the Legendaries are trying to fit a New York theme so much as they are trying to fit in with the philosophical themes of Gen 5. The Tao trio embody it very clearly, but both the Musketeers and the Kami communicate something about the overlapping spheres of humanity and Pokémon as well. The Musketeers saved Pokémon from a forest fire that was caused by a human war, and have come to shun humanity for that sin. Meanwhile, the Kami are Pokémon that wreak havoc on humanity's peaceful existence, by whipping up storms that can tarnish the land that humans use for agriculture. If the Tao trio signify the point at which human and Pokémon interests intersect, then the other two trios represent a pair of extremes at which those interests become a detriment to the opposite side.

Last edited:
Gen 4. The Game is as slow as a Bullet through molasses. And it also had it's fair share of (In My opinion) pretty lackluster legendaries. Regigigas would be a great legendary only if Slow start was buffed, and Phione shouldn't even exist. I mean, we already have Manaphy, a great Water type Mythical, there's no reason to give it a horrible clone.

My favourite is Gen V and I must say my only real problem with them is that some Pokemon evolve late.

Yes, pseudos tend to evolve late, but Hydreigon took it to a new level. Then there is also Volcarona, while Bisharp, Braviary and Mandibuzz have no reason to evolve as late as they do.

My favorite games are HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2, and White 2.
  • For the Johto remakes, basically the only bad thing I can say for them is the fact that TMs only work once.
  • For Black and White, the level jump during the post-game is absurdingly high.
  • For Black 2 and White 2, I think they missed a huge opportunity by scrapping the plan of bringing the Black and White protagonist back. We could've basically had another Red right there, but for some reason, they didn't go with it.

Last edited:
My favorite games ate HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2, and White 2.
  • For the Johto remakes, basically the only bad thing I can say for them is the fact that TMs only work once.
  • For Black and White, the level jump during the post-game is absurdingly high.
  • For Black 2 and White 2, I think they missed a huge opportunity by scrapping the plan of bringing the Black and White protagonist back. We could've basically had another Red right there, but for some reason, they didn't go with it.
Yeah, I would've loved if the protagonist of the previous game would come back, and the linking games feature already took care of what team they would have. Plus, I would've liked if they also encountered N and allowed you to catch their dragon if you won a tough battle against them after much convincing that the Tao Dragons belong together

Gen 4 had too many mythical and legendary pokemon. Granted some of the Mythicals and Legendaries are cool..

Well, there's also the part where Gen 4 ended. I could have lived with that generation for a lifetime.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom