• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: What Did You Read Today?

I am finally getting around to reading Pride and Prejudice after being assigned it in 9th grade and not touching it at all. Won’t say how many years ago that was.

I’m pleasantly surprised how similar my writing is to Jane Austen’s - just the right amount of sarcasm to not be unnecessarily cruel but still make a point. It’s been a fun read so far.

Finally getting around to reading Kafka’s Metamorphosis. An idea for a Pokémon fanfiction that’s been floating around in my head for a while now involves a virus that turns people into Pokémon, so there’s an obvious parallel but I knew very little about the story going in.

Wow, what a heavy read. Without going into a lot of detail, a significant portion of the story is spent on the main character’s family and the responsibility to have to care for their newly transformed son/brother. My mom and I were in a similar situation a few years ago taking care of my grandmother who had dementia and it can take a mental and emotional toll for sure. By the grace of God we did a better job than Gregor’s family, but there were a lot of real emotions from those days that bubbled up to the surface while reading.

So it's been a hot minute since this thread has been updated (almost one year to the day lol) but I do think it's worth updating. It may be too common at this point, but that doesn't make it any less true: "Good writers read".

As for me and my house? After seeing a lot of the kids I substitute teach for reading Fahrenheit 451 I thought it would be beneficial to tackle it with them, and overall I'm glad I did. The dialogue and descriptions in particular were piercing, but I also have to say that Mildred Montag may be the single most infuriating character in all of fiction for me at this point. Maybe on a reread I can be more sympathetic, but yeesh....

Edit: removed a book, it itself is not inappropriate but it does have more mature themes.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom