• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: What Did You Read Today?

I transfer all fanficton I read to Kindle format because it's a lot less distracting and eye-straining compared to reading on a full computer screen. I can also bring my Kindle wherever I go and read during downtime, which helps me to read more fics in general.

Anyway, I've added Hexbreaker by Jordan L. Hawk to my current reading list. A gay paranormal romance isn't something I'd normally read - or romance in general, more accurately - but it's for a book club, so. Not sure what to think of it yet.

I transfer all fanficton I read to Kindle format because it's a lot less distracting and eye-straining compared to reading on a full computer screen. I can also bring my Kindle wherever I go and read during downtime, which helps me to read more fics in general.
What do you do with stuff that's only posted here? Do you copy each chapter individually to a doc and transform it to mobi or something? Or is all that's posted here on FF too?

We've started The Secret Garden, a childhood favourite of Partner's. It's cute so far. A bit of its time.

Oh wow! Seriously?! I think that's the first time anyone has ever mentioned wanting to read my work on a Kindle format! I'm so happy! However you choose to read it, feel free to do so on your own time! I'm always looking for new readers and feedback, so when you get around to it, I'd love to hear what you think! But be warned, the very early chapters were written in 2015, and they're...admittedly rather rough.
Today I read about two chapters. So far, so good! <3. I'm on chapter 2 right now. Chapter are pretty long, which is pretty cool. Got around 1500 pages left according to Kindle, up for a ride XD. I'm loving how you describe Julia's interactions and her peculiarities and mannerisms, and she's so cute <3. She radiates optimism, I love that!

Today I read about two chapters. So far, so good! <3. I'm on chapter 2 right now. Chapter are pretty long, which is pretty cool. Got around 1500 pages left according to Kindle, up for a ride XD. I'm loving how you describe Julia's interactions and her peculiarities and mannerisms, and she's so cute <3. She radiates optimism, I love that!

Awesome! Feel free to post your thoughts on it on the story thread if you want.

Anyway, I've been reading Up a Road Slowly by Irene Hunt. Ehhh...not one of the better 19th/20th century based "orphaned girl gets adopted by relative or new person" stories out there. The writing is extremely telly and choppy, the characters are bland and uninteresting, the story moves at a snail's pace, and it makes no attempt to try and stand out in any way. After this, I'm gonna reread Because of Winn-Dixie and FINALLY get around to reviewing it.

Been rereading...well, everything. Actually, just re-consuming any media I believe may have had an influence on my writing style. First up, and arguably the best book on my shelf of only four books: Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar...: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein.

The existentialists' emphasis on facing the anxiety of death has given life to a new mini-industry, the hospice movement, founded on Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross's twentieth-century bioethical philosophy that encourages the honest acceptance of death.

Customer in a restaurant: How do you prepare your chickens?
Cook: Oh, nothing special, really. We just tell them they're gonna die.​

Just finished In The Company of Crazies by Nora Raleigh Baskin. I liked it, but some elements were unnecessary. Seriously, this is the second book by her that throws around the F word that rhymes with maggot for absolutely no reason. It's only used twice, sure, but its very presence is so jarring that it really took me out of the book. The characters aren't even on the LGBT spectrum, and one character uses it as a random insult. It doesn't add anything to the story and using a less offensive insult instead of a casual slur would have been a better alternative. Eh, it was okay. I still think Anything But Typical and Ruby on the Outside are better.

The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien - I'm finding myself dropping all my other reading to focus on this alone
Wrong LotR :V

I guess my reading for today isn't strictly traditional, but a friend sent me some notes and an outline for a story they'd like to write. It's their first major creative writing project so quite a bit of work lies ahead, but their ideas are pretty interesting. They already seem to have the idea of avoiding the pitfalls of too many predictable cliches for their genre down, which is a good sign.

I just realized I take ~1 hour each day to read the news.

I mean, I knew I was doing it. But I never considered it a form of reading. But I get the vast majority of my news in text, which means it's by definition reading. Which means the news might be influencing my tastes in reading. And not in the political sense; in the technical sense.

I think I might be applying writing standards to fiction that were designed for the newsroom. Though I'm not sure that's necessary bad? I can think of several examples where creative writing and journalism blur. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is the textbook example, but my personal reference banks point to The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. For it's a book that dedicates itself to its characters...

"The Things They Carried" said:
This book is lovingly dedicated to the men of Alpha Company, and in particular to Jimmy Cross, Norman Bowker, Mitchell Sanders, Henry Dobbins, and Kiowa.

...and also denies those characters exist.

This is a work of fiction.
Except for a few details regarding the author's own life, all the incidents, names, and characters are imaginary.

And then there's this sentence, on page 62:

In war you lose your sense of the definite, hence your sense of truth itself, and therefore it's safe to say that in a true war story nothing is ever absolutely true.

So I couldn't help but wonder if Tim O'Brien, real life Vietnam vet, was mixing fiction and reality for the sake of truth, if that makes any sense. It seems to be the author's line of reasoning, at least. But if fiction is untrue by definition, then perhaps it can at least feel true. As in, perhaps fiction can't be literally true, but maybe it can be applicable to reality. And looking back through my old fic reviews, I found the fics most applicable to "the real world" to be the most compelling. Even if they were sometimes blatant fantasy.

Just some reading-related thoughts that've popped into my mind. I'm starting to recognize I "post deep", or go farther into subjects than other fora posters. Kinda like how the news "post deep". The style has plenty of pros (news organizations wouldn't use it otherwise), but there's also cons; more time investment required of the reader and writer, a blunter tone that's skeptical of itself and others, the ever-present hyperlinks linking to endless context. I'm left wondering how I can keep this writing style's pros while minimizing the cons, if I can at all.

Oh, and I'm still reading Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar. The book feels shorter than it is; it divides chapters into concise "subchapters", like how a Wikipedia article divides itself into sections and subsections. The subchapters tend to be very concise and focused, rarely going on for more than a few pages. But the subchapters add up to a full chapter exploring a wider topic. You can actually pick this book up.and start reading random subchapters out of order, yet still get something of value. Which I have, to avoid the time-consuming boring parts. But I like being able to do this, a lot. In fact, it's getting hard to go back to sequential reading.

Read some more of Juliko's 'A Marvelous Journey', and left a review btw!

Tried to start 'The Lord of the Flies' yet again, since I've got to read it for college. No luck for now, I find the start pretty boring and can't go on for some reason.

I also caught up with 'Act-Age', it's a manga [x], so I don't know if it counts, but it's very fun and unique in dealing with the acting world, and conveying characters' emotions.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom