• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: What Did You Read Today?

Electronic Intelligence, by Prioris

Really good metroid fic. Some of the best FF I've ever read. I read it ages ago and the author had since taken their stuff down, but there's a massive archive of most everything ever posted to ff.net on the internet. Took me forever to look through.

Ended up dropping Homestuck because I wasn't terribly interested in it.

I did finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows though, and I've been reading Flawless by Sara Shepard. I'm nearly done with it since it's not too difficult to read, but overall an interesting read regardless. One day, I'll pick up the other books in the Pretty Little Liars series and read those too, after I somehow get through all the other books I have to read, haha.

Just finished this crummy kids novel called The Cat Ate my Gymsuit by Paula Danzinger. It's...not great. Gonna read some manga I bought on Kindle once I get paid this Friday. Already started on Kaze Hikaru, a long running manga that I've seen pop up every now and again.

Woah, I just discovered this thread! I'm going to have to keep my eye on this one, seeing as I'm a bookseller.

Hmm... I've mostly been reading loads of fanfiction recently. I have plans to go back to Chronicles of Lord Oda Nobunaga by Ohta Gyuichi, my favorite primary-source work/historical account. Maybe I ought to snag a spare copy of James Joyce's Dubliners while I'm at it. I never finished it but Joyce's writing is breathtaking. (That's the funny thing about bookselling: it doesn't necessarily afford one much time to read.)

Took a little break from reading at the end of the year after I hit my goal of reading 5 books by the end of the year, but now that it's a new year and I have a new goal of reading 10 books by the end of it, I've picked up another book! Currently reading Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer. I read it once before years ago and liked it, and so far, I've been enjoying rereading it.

Finished Crusaders: An Epic History of the Wars for the Holy Lands, Dan Jones (Like it, keeping it, will probably re-read it), still reading The Last Continent, Terry Pratchett, and a little of National Geographic History November/December

To widen the kinds of things I read, I picked up The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. I was lost somewhere inside Chapter 1 when I had to put it down.

So far, the book is about an old man rambling about his life as he travels around the English countryside. The narrator's tendency to go on tangents down memory lane are a double-edged sword; sometimes it introduces intriguing snippets of backstory, and other times it's boring as hell and I wish he'd get to the point.

I'm now halfway through The Remains of the Day and the plot has thickened considerably. I put the book down to allow what I just read to sink in, and I'm warming up to the way the book is written as well. The sections of the book dealing with Stevens's memories are still much more interesting than his travels in the present day, but it's clear that his past will soon catch up with him. What happens then...?

We recently finished Good Omens, which is an old favourite of mine and many people may enjoy, and I recently finished Blue Mars, the conclusion to a trilogy I've loved for a while but has incredibly niche appeal and is practically appealling to me, directly.

Finished The Remains of the Day. The ending was nowhere near as dramatic as the events which led up to it, which disappointed me a little, but the low-key approach suits the book's introspective tone.

Hey y'all! :) Just getting into this part of the forums and discovered this thread. Since I'm studying to be an English teacher, I figured it would be helpful for me to refocus while still retaining the Pokemon context I enjoy so much.

I've been slowly working through This Victorian Life by Sarah Chrisman. She and her husband Gabriel had a brief moment of "virality" a few years ago as the Victorian couple, dressing in the style of the late 19th century and incorporating as much of that technology in their lives as possible. Sarah also writes historical fiction from the time period as well. In the autobiography I am reading, I am really enjoying the moments where she focuses on the narrative. Her descriptions are very immersive in that regard and you can tell she is passionate about her craft. Where I'm struggling some are the descriptions where she breaks down the historical context, though they are probably more necessary than I realize. I just have a hard time keeping focused during these portions.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom