• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you think of Pokémon Black and White's plot? Was it good? Was it bad?

What do you think of Pokémon Black and White's plot?

• Total voters

John Understands

Somalian Anarchy Leader!
Reaction score
What did you think of the entirety of Pokémon Black and White Version's plot - from the start - Either you getting your Pokémon or Bianca going on a Pokémon journey but her father doesn't allow it - to the very end - either when N flies away - or when it's revealed that Ghetsis is on the run. What did you think of it? Was it good? Was it bad? Was it sad? Was it okay? Post what you think here.

Anyways, I think it is good because it had one of the darkest plots in the entirety of Pokémon's history - in front or behind of Pokémon Colosseum - it was amazing - TP, N, and Ghetsis's plot was good - yet Ghetsis is still a jerkass - and N's story is sad. That part when Bianca's father came to take her home was sad as well, too.

It's true that it's the most developed story in the series so far, but because this is a Nintendo game, story should not be its main focus (it's the core gameplay). Mario Party has nothing but excuse plots, but it's fun to play (and destroy friendships).

It's true that it's the most developed story in the series so far, but because this is a Nintendo game, story should not be its main focus (it's the core gameplay). Mario Party has nothing but excuse plots, but it's fun to play (and destroy friendships).
WHAT? You're saying that Nintendo games aren't allowed to have good story!? PLAY THE GAMECUBE CUSTOM ROBO NOW!

Story is important in gaming. As a story telling media games have a lot of potential. And besides money good story never gets in the way of gameplay. And since the main series pokemon games can't really change that much adding a good story is best way to show they really care and advance the series.

WHAT? You're saying that Nintendo games aren't allowed to have good story!? PLAY THE GAMECUBE CUSTOM ROBO NOW!

Story is important in gaming. As a story telling media games have a lot of potential. And besides money good story never gets in the way of gameplay. And since the main series pokemon games can't really change that much adding a good story is best way to show they really care and advance the series.

Story has never been the main focus in gaming, and popular let's player sssskiners also agrees. So you're telling me that the Mario games, even the best ones like Galaxy, are the worst because of their excuse plots?

Just because it's developed by a certain company doesn't mean it has to follow certain conventions.

Besides, Pokemon is a Game Freak game, not a Nintendo game.

As for BW, meh. The story could have been a lot better, and more developed. It was a big letdown, especially when all the enemies did were say BLAH BLAH POKEMON SHOULD NOT BE WITH HUMANS and that was it.

Story has never been the main focus in gaming, and popular let's player sssskiners also agrees. So you're telling me that the Mario games, even the best ones like Galaxy, are the worst because of their excuse plots?

It doesn't make them bad games but story in gaming isn't pointless. Their are slocky action and horror movie that don't care about story that doesn't make them bad movies but story is important to movies just like it is in games. Storytelling in gaming is unevolved but it has the potential to compel the audience a lot more than a movie because the player has an active role. To me a player mashing the a button through a scene of game is very callous.

OOOh I'm sorry some let's player I never heard of with a stupid screen name says story is unimportant well clearly that validates it.

You know who I have behind me. The extra credits guys who are basically video game philosophers believe this media has potential AND THEY WORK IN THE INDUSTRY.

Watch this: Penny Arcade - Extra Credits – “Art” Is Not the Opposite of “Fun”

And like I said before other than money story telling doesn't get in the way of good story telling. And they had very little they had to do to make black and white write code design pokemon make moves assign moves write maps design enemies. So it is perfectly logical to add story.

Also Mario isn't completely deviod of story if you take into account that a well crafted game can tell its story through its gameplay

[It doesn't make them bad games but story in gaming isn't pointless. Their are slocky action and horror movie that don't care about story that doesn't make them bad movies but story is important to movies just like it is in games. Storytelling in gaming is unevolved but it has the potential to compel the audience a lot more than a movie because the player has an active role. To me a player mashing the a button through a scene of game is very callous.

OOOh I'm sorry some let's player I never heard of with a stupid screen name says story is unimportant well clearly that validates it.

You know who I have behind me. The extra credits guys who are basically video game philosophers believe this media has potential AND THEY WORK IN THE INDUSTRY.

Watch this: Penny Arcade - Extra Credits – “Art” Is Not the Opposite of “Fun”

And like I said before other than money story telling doesn't get in the way of good story telling. And they had very little they had to do to make black and white write code design pokemon make moves assign moves write maps design enemies. So it is perfectly logical to add story.

Also Mario isn't completely deviod of story if you take into account that a well crafted game can tell its story through its gameplay

Those extra credit guys are the ones sssskiners disagrees on, and according to the Game Overthinker, companies develop the gameplay before the story, which shows that story telling in video games are never the main focus (they're only there to explain the gameplay mechanics). If they try to focus on the story first, then it's going to result in bad gameplay, just look at the Legend of Spyro games.

It was different then we are used to seeing in Pokemon, a more in depth plot. I enjoyed Team Plasma, N and Ghetsis's storyline better than any other, which make those games one of my favorites. N is a mysterious, complicated character who has a very interesting backstory( which we didnt see too much of in B/W), but it was very different and I think was good for these games. It gets boring having basically not storyline or plot and going through 8 gyms and the elite 4, a more in depth plot/story isnt a bad thing at all, and I hope they continue to make the main series games this way.

Those extra credit guys are the ones sssskiners disagrees on, and according to the Game Overthinker, companies develop the gameplay before the story, which shows that story telling in video games are never the main focus (they're only there to explain the gameplay mechanics).

What the case is not what we are arguing about! I'm saying that story is important and useful not that it is cared for which everyone knows it isn't. A story should be the main focus because the gameplay has already been figured out it's done all you can do with it is add minigames, moves, pokemon, peripherals and add new trainers. And good narrative never screwed over gameplay. Gen V gameplay wise is one of if not the best.

What the case is not what we are arguing about! I'm saying that story is important and useful not that it is cared for which everyone knows it isn't. A story should be the main focus because the gameplay has already been figured out it's done all you can do with it is add minigames, moves, pokemon, peripherals and add new trainers. And good narrative never screwed over gameplay. Gen V gameplay wise is one of if not the best.

But isn't "the main focus" the same thing as being more important than gameplay?

But isn't "the main focus" the same thing as being more important than gameplay?
Not really. I loved the plot I loved the gameplay it made the game art. It made the game better. I don't see what the problem is or what you trying to say.

I liked the plot. I think it would have been better if the main character talked... I get that wouldn't have made sense, since none of the other main characters talked, but still.

Loved the Team Plasma arc from the start. N was a very unique antagonist - Being the youngest boss up till now, and having a very reasonable ideal for his dream. Though, I feel that the story could've been handled better if it was targeted at teenagers or older audiences, not young children. We can imagine what sort of childhood N might've had, but something tells me that there's more to Ghetsis and N's backstory - and it's something that yound kiddies shouldn't really know?

I liked it. I still prefer the plots of the two Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games and, I guess, Colosseum, but I guess that's probably nostalgia more than anything else.
It was a bit darker than we usually see. Even if it was targeted at young children, it still carried off that little bit of darkness there. Not that it stopped me from enjoying the plots of Platinum and HeartGold though!
Although, no offense to any BW fangirls/fanboys here, but it does get a tiny bit overrated by some people some times. Just saying.
*holds flameshield just in case*

Last edited:
I think it's both awesome and sad because of the character N. I loved how it all leaded up to that moment and all the gym leaders coming to your rescue I think that was brilliant. The whole thing with Ghetsis and N made me cry a little because N really believed that he was helping Pokemon and to be so deceived, but at the same time flying off into the distance to find a new ideal/truth made it bitter sweet.

They really thought well with the plot in the latest edition to Pokemon and I would say that it is the most thought out plot out of all the games, as it's not as simple as beat the bad guys and become the Champion, but a whole new style with twists and turns. I really think it would make a good story for a book as well.

I liked it. I still prefer the plots of the two Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games and, I guess, Colosseum, but I guess that's probably nostalgia more than anything else.
It was a bit darker than we usually see. Even if it was targeted at young children, it still carried off that little bit of darkness there. Not that it stopped me from enjoying the plots of Platinum and HeartGold though!
Although, no offense to any BW fangirls/fanboys here, but it does get a tiny bit overrated by some people some times. Just saying.

I loved B/W plot. Well, I'm a rather old fan (I'm 25), so maybe that bit of darkness you mention, and another details like team Plasma depicted as a group of well-intentioned extremists with a certain ideology instead of a plain criminal gang, is what seduced me. Another thing I liked about BW, is the more-active role of Gym Leaders and the Champion into the plot, now being depicted as true protectors of their towns/cities (and all of them have real-life jobs too: Waiters, archaeologyst, artist, model, mine owner, pilot, retired actor, city major. I loved that!)

I guess GF has noticed that there's a non-small adult fanbase for Pokémon, composed mostly of early generations' gamers like me (the high sells of HG/SS were heavily influenced by nostalgic gamers of my age), who grew, entered to workplace and got the economic solvence to buy our own videoconsoles and games, so probably they started thinking of us too. (Nowadays videoconsoles are even included into wedding lists, and not exactly for future kids :lol: )

BTW, I loved Mystery Dungeon plots too.

Haha, I enjoy the plots of other games of Pokémon, too. It may be slightly overrated, but, hey, who cares! Pokémon is Pokémon - the game that's getting darker since Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire Versions!

It's not my favourite, but it was rather good for Pokemon standards. I found the main driving point of the plot ("is it morally justifiable to enslave fully sentient beings for our own needs?") to be EXTREMELY interesting, but the execution was pretty meh. Plasma grunts were complete drones in that regard, not much better than their previous gens counterparts, and I found N to be rather creepy and convoluted character (even moreso after reading the manga o_O). I put it just below DPPt plot, which is my top favourite.

Pokemon are our friends not tools. Ugh, haven't we heard that enough already?

N's main goal of becoming Champion so that people will listen to him is pretty stupid. If the Champion says 'Release all your Pokemon' would anyone really do that? I think not. Ok so N's been brain washed into thinking that people will listen to him by Ghetsis but the fact that Game Freak expects me to take it seriously is hilarious.

When Ghetsis is making his speeches, everyone takes him seriously but the moment he leaves, they go back to not giving a fuck. That pretty much sums up my reactions towards him. Everytime he appears, I'm like 'Oh right, you exist and I'm supposed to take you seriously' and then he leaves and i'm like 'Okay so where was I?'

When Ghetsis is making his speeches, everyone takes him seriously but the moment he leaves, they go back to not giving a fuck. That pretty much sums up my reactions towards him. Everytime he appears, I'm like 'Oh right, you exist and I'm supposed to take you seriously' and then he leaves and i'm like 'Okay so where was I?'

Weren't the people of Opelucid city all "omg, what will we do without pokemon" after Ghetsis speech, though? I think I recall something like this happening.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom