• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you think of Pokémon Black and White's plot? Was it good? Was it bad?

What do you think of Pokémon Black and White's plot?

• Total voters
I'm split whether the plot turned the right direction or not, the line in N's first dialogue; "The Pokédex, eh? So... You're going to confine many, many Pokémon in Poké Balls for that, then. I'm a Trainer, too, but I can't help wondering... Are Pokémon really happy that way?" caught me good, but the plasma story ran out in yet another evil plan of world domination or whatever. It's apparent that pokémon are happy critters that eat berries and have fun when fighting, but it lack depth, that was barely touched upon by a confused and manipulated boy.

Good plot. Terrible execution.

Decent for a Pokémon game, I suppose, but if regarded on its own, the story really falls flat. I can enjoy a Pokémon game with a weak plot, but mainly because the plot wasn't usually this intrusive. Meanwhile, BW brought the plot to the forefront, as though it was telling the player to care about it, and failed the make the story worth caring about.

It would have been properly dark with better execution, because by necessity better execution would require some actual complexity - one of the major areas where BW failed to deliver. For one thing, not all major non-TP characters should so easily reject that separating pokémon and trainers is the right thing to do, at least not entirely. Even though they'd probably still think Team Plasma's solution is too extreme, showing them at least considering N's points would go a long way toward making it seam like Team Plasma's goal is achievable. Weaving in the myths of the legendary dragons would be important, too, if the importance of N catching Reshiram or Zekrom is supposed to be believed. N mentions catching the legendary dragon as early as the second gym, so there's no point being coy about it. Rather than the myth being obscure and known mainly by the dragon masters, it's everywhere, though most of it is found outside of cutscenes.

Team Plasma should've shown more sincerity, especially when you're first being introduced to them - none of this acknowledging Ghetsis is tricking people with speeches business like in the Dreamyard. Maybe hints of it toward the end, but not at the beginning like that. I actually would have found it more interesting if Ghetsis fully believed in separating humans and pokémon, but was more fanatical about it than N (who'd present reasonable arguments), since it seems like it'd be a lot less convoluted, but barring that, it'd be nice to have some hints of how Ghetsis thought he was going to maintain power after casting off the ideals he himself preached, and presumably destroying the hero that proves said ideals right.

Better integration of the Legendary Musketeers would also help, since it seemed like they were being set up for it, but I'd be fine if they were part of the postgame instead. The postgame could've had a lot of potential if they made you work for the sages (including six boss battles - they were ready to jump you in the castle, so they must have pokémon), and/or actually did something with Genesect (an attempted comeback?), or more things with the Legendary Musketeers where you show them that not all humans are bad, or whatever.

The linear layout of Unova's gym circuit could imply some interesting differences between Unova and Poképan, but I'd rather that wasn't the case. The game could have had Team Plasma's ideals spreading as you continue through your journey, causing people's dialogue to change throughout Unova, and if you had to go back and forth to revisit towns, you'd have a chance to see it.

I absolutely LOVED the plot of Black and White!!! It was so AWESOME!! I mean, to me, this is the best Pokemon game EVER! I used to not be interested in Pokemon, until I saw N and later decided to get Black version. I loved N's plan, his personality, the way he looks, his innocence and love for his friends... I love everything about him, really. I also LOVED the whole plot thing with Ghetsis. It was so interesting. But then I also felt really bad for my darling N, since he was believing in Ghetsis to help Pokemon. I also adore N's room and his "themes". Best songs in Pokemon, if you ask me. N's room was also really thought out well. Basically, generation 5 will always remain the best to me because of N. Yup, that's the power of N.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom