• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: What Did You Write Today?

Work was extra slow today so I had more time I needed to fill up with writing in order to keep myself awake. I wrote 2814 words today, most of them being for a couple of Pokemon Legends Arceus-themed drabbles that were sitting in my brain today. Once I got those out I worked on my fic, rewriting the part I had done last week.

I keep going back and forth with what I want to do for my next story. There is the part of me that keeps telling me to to a remix/reimagining of my previous story (Link and the Fate of the Deku Tree). Like, I would work on something else, but then I go back to this. I have decided to do this because I have some ideas on how to make it work.

Managed to write the next chapter of Dawn of Courage today ("On the Straight and Arrow"). This one took a couple of attempts but in the end I got it done.

Anyway, the party are making their way to Emerald Coast Kingdom. Nova's hand has since recovered and is back to full form, though he now has a new scar where it was cut off, much to his annoyance. They get to the checkpoint and pick up the information that Queen Maria collected for them before crossing into Emerald Coast Kingdom. They soon reach the city where Aerrow lives, eventually finding his mansion. They are greeted by his human wife, Jessica, and his two half human/Phoenix teenage daughters, Jade and Amber. Aerrow is out getting an order which will be used for Nova's training. The party ends up doing a bit of show-and-tell with their familiars, as Jade and Amber have never seen any other familiars outside of Aerrow's Demi Phoenix, which is something they've been wanting for some time. Aerrow returns and reveals he picked up special custom order arrows for Nova's training and is setting aside a week for a crash course training regime, depending how quickly Nova completes his lessons, as he knows that Nova has to deal with Muu's forces if/when they crop up. They are given rooms to stay at the mansion until Nova's training is complete and will start in the morning. The following morning after breakfast Aerrow takes Nova to one of his toughest training grounds: the Island of Giant Monsters, leaving the rest of the party behind as he doesn't want distractions or outside help. Nova is not looking forward to facing giant monsters but complies with his trademark line. The next chapter, "Aiming for the Top", features the next phase in Nova's training.

- Blade of the Blackout Killer: A little bit of C7. Mostly this day was about sorting out the scattered stuff across my tablet, after I went to write a scene before stopping, sanity checking, and saw it was already written. Actually partially happened with Nori speaking with his mom in C2, but I just consolidated the two since they were wholly compatible, just removing most of a paragraph introducing something already introduced.

- Memory of a Ghoul: Same applied here. Got some of C6 done as well. Made a to-do list to go along with both.

Things were a bit busier at work today, plus I found several interesting articles I wanted to read, so I wrote 1160 words today. But, I did end up finishing the first part of this fic, so as long as I can get the ideas flowing I can start to get into the meat of this fic. I really like the cast of characters I've made for it so I'm looking forward to writing them.

Given up on writing. My prologue was terrible. Wondering why I thought writing was a good hobby.
Like I said, we all make big mistakes for our first works!! Working through them is tough especially when it's something you worked hard on, but, if you keep on going for it you'll be happier in the end I think.

Does anyone have any tips on writing a Pokemon story where the main character only uses a single type?
I do know that Gyms with types strong against the chosen type will be an issue, while those Gyms the type is strong against will be a push over.

Does anyone have any tips on writing a Pokemon story where the main character only uses a single type?
I do know that Gyms with types strong against the chosen type will be an issue, while those Gyms the type is strong against will be a push over.
Varying the moves used by the Pokémon (of one type) should add some variety, I think? Adding some interesting things happening, like, unorthodox ways in which moves are used will subvert expectations of the character doing well, or not doing well in Gym battles~

Varying the moves used by the Pokémon (of one type) should add some variety, I think? Adding some interesting things happening, like, unorthodox ways in which moves are used will subvert expectations of the character doing well, or not doing well in Gym battles~
Another thing I could do is this: give the person a Pokémon that has a type that would help.
Take Roark for example: If I were to do water types, I could give him a Shellos, which is not weak to water type moves, thus giving my character more of a challenge than it would otherwise be.

Worked a bit more on Nova's bio late today because I had a migraine for most of the day. Mostly incorporating some facts about his family and his relationship with them (see: strained). This is because, despite the family's motto (which ends up being somewhat hypocritical), Nova's something of an underachiever in a family of overachievers, and struggled where the rest of his family excelled, thus became something of a black sheep because the family has unintentionally high standards due to generations of highly successful family members. Nova fails to reach these standards, which puts him at odds with his family, and although they still do love him their disappointment in his lack of successes drives a wedge between them, which explains his desires to be special, useful, and seeks approval as his past failures weigh him down (and the family have a bad habit of unintentionally reminding him of said failures when compared to their successes, only further hurting him and driving him away). It also explains why he takes what pride he can in fields his family lacks, such as baking, practicality, and cunning, though it's still not enough to earn approval. Thus it shows that his tendency to put himself down and sees himself as worthless ultimately stems from his lack of success in the eyes of his overachieving family.

Back
Top Bottom