• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: What Did You Write Today?

Trying to get back into the swing of regular writing now that I'm feeling better after finishing up isolation. Not a lot today, only 159 words. Still some progress made though, and that's what's important.

ORAS fic will be next after a couple of chapters of Artisitc Vision. I had this idea for Mauville City inside my head for quite a while.
Mauville City will have four way intersecting open-air cities nearing routes. They're usually small to medium sized. Schools, offices, banks, residental homes, parks, and hospitals will always be placed outside. Indoor mixed-use shopping mall will be placed in the middle.
Mauville Mountain (Located near Route 111): A modern mountain-like city that has a underground train station (maybe a car tunnel?)
Mauville Island (Route 110): A bicycle captial (similar to Eterna and Cyllage) built on a man-made island.
Mauville Inlet: (Route 118): An beachfront and oceanfront theme that are seperated into two sections similar to Route 118.
Old Mauville (Route 117): The past verison Mauville from original Ruby and Saphhire with new modern commerical structures.

Did some outlining for a multichapter fic idea that’s existed for a while, and settled on the title better tomorrow. Still not entirely certain about the chapter splits, and I might just combine the first and second chapters to cut this to 6 chapters, though at least I have a rough idea of what’s gonna happen, and that this might be too long to be a oneshot.

Does anyone have any tips on writing a Pokemon story where the main character only uses a single type?
I do know that Gyms with types strong against the chosen type will be an issue, while those Gyms the type is strong against will be a push over.

Honestly I would say if you can, try to play the game the main character would be in with the proposed team. Essentially doing a monotype run.

I've done that for both my Kalos OC (water type) and currently my Galarian OC (poison type). The reason why I encourage doing a playthrough as the character is that you can find that what you expect to happen may not always be the case. For example my water type Kalos OC, you'd expect that he would struggle against Ramos and Clemont because of them specializing in a type that is super effective against water...but on my playthrough my OC's team clobbered both of them. In fact his team only really struggled against the Elite 4, Diantha and surprisingly Tierno (in that one gauntlet where you battle Tierno, Trevor, and Shauna in the late game)

On the flipside my Poison type OC actually struggled hard against Milo despite having the advantage and so far (out of the three gym battles I've done) only did well against Nessa. She actually straight up lost to Kabu and just barely won the rematch.

By playing the game as the OC and taking notes (even if they are just regular trainers and not specifically protagonist) you can end up creating a more interesting story than just relying on stats and type matchups to dictate how the story will go. It can also allow you to figure out how these trainers would think and strategize.

Honestly I would say if you can, try to play the game the main character would be in with the proposed team. Essentially doing a monotype run.

I've done that for both my Kalos OC (water type) and currently my Galarian OC (poison type). The reason why I encourage doing a playthrough as the character is that you can find that what you expect to happen may not always be the case. For example my water type Kalos OC, you'd expect that he would struggle against Ramos and Clemont because of them specializing in a type that is super effective against water...but on my playthrough my OC's team clobbered both of them. In fact his team only really struggled against the Elite 4, Diantha and surprisingly Tierno (in that one gauntlet where you battle Tierno, Trevor, and Shauna in the late game)

On the flipside my Poison type OC actually struggled hard against Milo despite having the advantage and so far (out of the three gym battles I've done) only did well against Nessa. She actually straight up lost to Kabu and just barely won the rematch.

By playing the game as the OC and taking notes (even if they are just regular trainers and not specifically protagonist) you can end up creating a more interesting story than just relying on stats and type matchups to dictate how the story will go. It can also allow you to figure out how these trainers would think and strategize.
Never thought about it that way...
Thanks for the tips!

I kept having to go back and rewrite because I kept getting stuck in my fic, so I wrote a lot more than the 977 words I typed out this evening after writing them on a notepad today at work. I should be over this slow part now and will be able to finish off the rest of this second chapter tomorrow (unless work is really busy, not expecting it to be though). Beyond this chapter I have no ideas though, and honestly, I'm not all too happy with this fic right now. I've come up with a lot of one-shot ideas for it that are cool, but I'm just not happy with the direction the main fic is going in. Specifically with the main character. So, I might just do some of those one-shots after this and see where that takes me.

Last edited:
54 words today before reading CCS: Clear Card volume 11 and taking notes of my thoughts while reading it... And then couldn't write after that... #shook Kinda have some stuff to take care of tomorrow, but shouldn't take long, I think. Oh right, also thought of a couple of later things for Uncoloured and a later thing for Electrowood this morning that I put into my notes.

Back
Top Bottom