• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: What Did You Write Today?

Finished and published CH3 of Battle With Me: Pokemon XD. And while I feel "over the hump" to some degree, I feel my motivation slipping. My writing for CH3 was rushed so I could make the weekly announcements; while I did manage to finally cite a credible academic paper, my sentence structure took a nosedive. It just didn't have the same level of editing my other chapters did, despite taking about a week longer to produce. It also was written during an unusually active time period in my "real life". I normally mitigate this by writing from my phone, but Battle With Me's nature requires long blocks of at-home free time.

To counter this, I've been editing an as-yet-unreleased fic to incorporate new lessons learned. I'm also considering formalizing a "reviewer's guide" for my fics, an idea I first encountered about a month ago.but was recently explicitly recommended in a comprehensive KAIJUMON review (thanks @unrepentantAuthor!). I've written some draft guides, but I think a total rewrite is in order. And my intro post for Battle With Me: XD explicitly said I won't rush, so perhaps this change of pace is needed. Still mulling things over; brain's a little fried after writing CH3, so I know my current writing process needs shaking up. Just not sure yet and/or rambling in the wrong thread. Thinking hard. Fin.

I just finished my review of XY's story after around three drafts and several weeks of writing it!
... It's not entirely finished, since it needs a final read-over and extra polishing, but the point is that this one is a coherent, planned set of paragraphs, and not semi-related snippets which I wrote separately and then tried to stick together.

You know that sleep thing people do? You know, where they lay in bed, fall unconscious, and mildly hallucinate for approximately 8-10 hours daily? I decided to write the first half of Battle With Me: Pokémon XD CH4 instead. Translated some negative energy I had into a expose on "pop" game academia's general dismissal/stereotyping of narrative as a potential reason people might enjoy games. I'm in a weird position where I can't verify any of the claims made by professionals due to poor experiment design or just a complete lack of experimentation. As in, some of the most popular papers I've come across are purely theoretical with little-to-no experimental verification. and/or are widely misunderstood in the first place! Like, my rinky-dink analysis of Pokémon: XD might qualify as "expert opinion" based on the quality of papers I've sifted through! It's encouraging and depressing at the same time! Encouressing!

Fixed major spelling mistakes in Battle With Me: Pokémon XD up to CH2, and got hit with a bolt of inspiration for CH5. I'm writing this chapter slow so I don't have to redo spelling again, which was a clear-as-day symptom of my first few chapters being rush jobs. But I'm finding it easier to write now that the groundwork's been laid, however shakey that rollout was.

Pro tip; if you accidentally hit "Post thread" instead of "Preview", immediately edit your post declaring a premature publish and DM a mod asking your thread to be deleted. It's inconvenient, but you'll save yourself some serious crunch time and public embarrassment at misspelling "create". Oh, and have a buffer prepped in case real life attacks. For instance, if your fic relies on screenshots, but your system needs to be hooked up in the attic in a heavily-insulated cubby with a skylight without a bug screen and no air conditioning, your fic might border on hiatus. I'm planning on spray-tinting the window black as a DIY-fix, partly so I can keep the fic alive and partly because I sleep in that cubby. I'm also looking into specialty skylight screens and possibly duck tape w/ black towels. Summer sucks.

Grammah cleanup of Battle With Me: XD continues with CH3. I spelled "win" as "when", "they" as "the", and used the phrase "poison from of Metagross", among other errors. I probably shouldn't be writing on top an ancient burial ground.

Finished correcting all the embarrassing grammah mistakes in Battle With Me: Pokémon XD. Had to write a chilling update explaining my writing situation and that future chapters will be coming slower, which I'm praying isn't the death knell of Battle With Me. The fic's not on hiatus, but it feels uncomfortable announcing a slowdown. But I'm going to finish this, I know I can complete a longfic, and I don't care how long it takes. I'm going to finish this, come hell or high water.

Doubled the size of my Battle With Me: Pokémon XD CH5 draft. Wrote a lot in the morning until I started noticed brain-overload spelling mistakes, and picking it up again now before I go to bed. It's mostly me complaining about elevators and doors. But it has a point and I'm expanding on it as the chapter continues. I'm just glad to be writing, though I'll be more glad when I'm publishing.

Got about halfway through a draft of Battle With Me: XD. It's shaping up to be a two-parter due to attachment limits, though I'll post both parts together so Part 1 has proper closure.

Also, I'm picking up on subtext kid me missed, and it's giving me feels. I wasn't expecting that. I've found something new to enjoy in a childhood game. It's hard to describe right before falling asleep, but it feels good. Happy. Reassuring. Like I don't need nostalgia to love this game. It makes me smile.

Welcome to the Snuggle Tier List update thread, where Snuggle Tier List posts what they wrote while other people occasionally post, too. Also, having this thread has been a surprisingly large motivator as I slog through CH6 of Battle With Me: XD. I've got a Part 1 rough draft ready minus a few to-be-framed images, but I think I'm going to need to rewrite some of it. Feels overly reliant on pictures and lacking in analysis. Then again, there's absolutely nothing important happening. There's good nuggets to Pokémon: XD's opening, but a lot of it is bland tofu. Tofu is bad. I don't like bad.

Three Snuggle Tier List updates in a row, huh?

I finished up the story section of my extended XY review, and it reads smoothly now while also getting across what I wanted to say. Extra thoughts in the spoiler.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to include metatextual (I think that's the word? I'm talking about why I think certain choices were made by the developers) analysis into the review without breaking the structure again.

Also wondering if devoting a paragraph to each feature I liked (Amie, PSS, Super Training) is a little much. The gameplay section, where I lambast discuss XY's difficulty, needs some reworking too; it needs to be linked better to the "features I liked" part so that I can effectively make the point that while XY's main gameplay isn't too great, the innovative new side features make up for it. Oh, and I also need to say why it's innovative for the series too. That probably goes in the metatextual part though.

And finally, it needs to be interesting to read. ^^; the hardest part of it all.

I also came up with a great idea on how to write about one of my characters; although I've never written an extended anti-joke before. So that needs to be thought carefully about, too. I might start by writing a one-shot to practice.

I gave you all two weeks, and only one update? Tsk, tsk.

Dusted off my CH7 draft of Battle With Me: XD, finished some editing of what I had written (past me left notes!), and added about a paragraph-and-a-half worth of text. Not major progress, but I got a rough chapter roadmap in my head and I'm planning this chapter to be shorter than usual. I noticed a trend where my chapter wordcounts were steadily increasing as I crammed every single detail into my analysis, and while I like the deeper dive, I think it's time I shortened my play sessions. The plot rails have gotten strong; no need to test literally everything anymore. It's nice to be back.

Did some effort in my current rewrite status: a activity I do not like and is bogged down by issues in my beta guys.

I finally had the amount time to dedicate and push forward with a scene that requires me to listen to about an hour's worth of songs (the protag is watching part of a concert with her mother) before listening to 「Weight of the World/壊レタ世界ノ歌」 (translation of the latter half of the song: "Song of the Broken World"/"Broken World's Song") from Nier:Automata. While I'm not entirely sure that I am entirely an empath, I do have many of the abilities, so I'm able to resonate with the emotions from songs - quite strongly with that song, and reading the translated lyrics solidifies it further - so I end up in tears every time I sing along (or even lip-sync). I ended up writing about 1000 words (pretty much what's being seen/heard from the hour-ish of video playback) from where I left off yesterday to the point where I can pick up tomorrow (I started a bit of the dialogue, but didn't have enough energy to continue it).

I really hope that's the last time I have to do that... It's my third time (the previous two times were in other stories)... >.>

It's after midnight, so I suppose I technically wrote it yesterday. Moreover, it was mostly small edits with only a short addition to a narrative primarily written the day before. But, whatever, let's roll with it.

I've been writing My Hero Academia fanfiction. An unremarkable, slice-of-life short story built on the hypothetical premise that Toshinori Yagi and Shōta Aizawa are married. It has very little purpose except to exist and no real basis by which to defend that existence -- it's just something I wanted to write.

It's odd, because I don't consider myself as particularly liking the series. Yet, my first even remotely substantial piece of writing in a long time is fanfiction for it. An obvious factor is that I find Toshi's tragic nature creatively attractive, but I don't know.

I wish inspiration would come to me in a form more longevous. MHA is something I'm watching on a friend's recommendation. I find it to be dreadfully average and only keep watching as it is something for my friend and I to bond over. It's very frustrating to think something I won't care about in six months can spur me to action in ways that projects I actually hold dear cannot seem to.

A 2000 word bit of the chapter after the current bogged down one.

Finally got to and past the aforementioned dialogue bit today (I had like no social energy left yesterday), and stopped partway while trudging through the current scene (the dialogue was fairly short) since it's about bedtime for me. About 300 words, and hopefully I can get to a point with the character's situation where I can get through the "uncharted area" to the next event/scene I have planned.

Also, having this thread has been a surprisingly large motivator as I slog through CH6 of Battle With Me: XD.
I totally felt this when I first read it. I'm gonna try to post in here since I used to do it every so often in the Discord channel, but then stopped for whatever reason (maybe just lack of response or something, really hard to say...).

Back
Top Bottom