• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: What Did You Write Today?

36 words. Had stuff to mid-morning, which didn't take long, but ended up with distractions, lack of focus, and another migraine starting when I got home. Oh right, also had to fix a discontinuity problem because I couldn't find something when I was writing Tsuguo's dialogue, so I wrote whatever then, but I found it when going through Electrowood again for something else, so I made the tweaks in Electrowood because it was the path of least resistance.

Last edited:
Aaaaaand some more late-night/before bed inspiration regarding Nova that I had to get down before I forgot (I really hate it when this happens). I had been debating on Nova's design for a while now (mainly his eye and hair color, as his general body structure and face are "unremarkably average" at best) and I've finally gotten an interesting idea for him. I decided to give him green eyes and coral pink hair (the former inherited from his father and the latter inherited from his mother), thus giving him a variant of the Significant Green-Eyed Redhead (as pink is a shade of red and he's the main character), as well as being a male Rose-Haired Sweetie (because he's generally a pleasant, nice guy unless angered). However, at the same time, I made him not like his coral pink hair because he was ridiculed for it growing up and it was part of his grief when he was targeted by bullies.

Well, I wrote an intro for this fic which is more than most of the other fic ideas I've gotten in the past 6 months. I pushed myself to get right into the plot for this in hopes that it will help me keep up the energy to write it. I'm still not so sure about it, but I did write a good 1755 words, so I will take that. After not writing for nearly a month, that felt really good.

Thanks to some damn insomnia I decided to spend several hours making a monster list for my prototype idea. I came up with 151 different monsters (which, coincidentally, is the same as the Kanto Dex, though that was purely unintentional, as I though that 150 was a good, round number, though, obviously, I ended up with an extra by accident). The list is much, much simpler than the Chaos Rising monster lists because there are not drop items and such, thus it's much shorter (roughly 10 pages vs Chaos Rising's 42). The list has their names, types (ie: Slime, Beast, Machine, etc), power level (Low, Moderate, High, Very High), Element, Weakness, and what items/monster parts are valuable, since selling monster parts/weapons is a good way to make money on my prototype world. The only type of monster that doesn't have usable parts to sell are Undead due to containing cursed energies (undead are unnatural, after all). That's a good amount to work with, especially since I don't want to go overboard like I did in Chaos Rising.

508 words today, a slight tweak, and some in-story notes of a scene that will happen very soon. Haven't decided exactly what will happen, but I at least have a couple possibilities to work with. Was struggling to write a bit until one point where it wasn't too bad, but that didn't last as long as I hoped.

I managed to create a sub-document on the different types of familiars that I've come up with so far. It includes the name of the familiar, type (Beast, Avian, Dragon, etc), Element, Weakness, Strength Level (Low, Moderate, High, Very High), and any additional notes on it (ie: temperament, realm of origin, bonus effects, etc). Outside of the original four I made (Gorgon Viper, Stealth Falcon, Thunderclap Stallion, Skitter Mouse), I managed to create Storm Hawk (obvious reference is obvious), Quick Cobra, Tsunami Seahorse, Glimmer Papillion, Frostbite Fox, Mimic Monkey, Wise Tortoise, and Skeleton Crow. That should do for a start.

A few paragraphs of editing Stasis Prophecy chapter 5, and then not-in-the-shower shower thoughts struck yet again and then I wrote about four pages for an idea for the epilogue of live and let live. Feels good writing Alyssa’s perspective again.

Got a few more familiar ideas down on my Familiar List. Also added in two new categories to the chart: Size (XS, S, M, L, XL) and Level (1-7) to further identify each familiar's potential and abilities (and it helps with sorting the list). The new familiars I've added since last night are Fiend Eye, Moon Bat, Leaf Pixie, Lunar Owl, Tri-Horned Imp, Feathered Serpent, Sandstone Golem, and Zombie Drake. I also made the Gorgon Viper and Zombie Drake natural rivals/enemies, as both not only originate in the Netherworld, but it'll also set up a dynamic between Nova and the Undead King, who have the respective familiars.

Forgive the double post but I did some more work on both the Edyn Monster List and Familiar List.

On the Monster List I removed all Machine-type monsters because I felt they didn't fit in with the setting (there were so few anyway). I replaced them with more Reptile and Avian monsters, as they had so few members in their categories. Some examples include Fire Cobra, Blue Salamander, Saurus, Boss Crow, and Phoenix. I also reclassified certain monsters, specifically Harpy, Gust Harpy, Cure Harpy, Owl Harpy, Tin Hawk, Copper Hawk, Silver Hawk, Gold Hawk, Haunted Armor, and Mist Armor.

In terms of the Familiar List I added Devil Cat, Wood Dog, Bite Piranha, Blizzard Wolf, and Icefloe Sealion. I also reworked a few aspects of some of the familiars. One notable example is that the Skitter Mouse is the natural prey to several other familiars, as familiars are just more special animals (specifically: Devil Cat, Frostbite Fox, Lunar Owl, Quick Cobra, Stealth Falcon, and Storm Hawk, though Gorgon Vipers also express an interest in eating them). Other changes include making the Devil Cat the natural rival to the Wood Dog and vice-versa (cats and dogs, duh), with the same applying to the Mimic Monkey and Wood Dog (that old Japanese(?) reference that dogs and monkeys are rivals, if I'm remembering correctly), that Fiend Eye and Bite Piranha always form in groups (3 and 5, respectively), and that Feathered Serpents don't like winter.

Last edited:
Forgive the double post but I did some more work on both the Edyn Monster List and Familiar List.

On the Monster List I removed all Machine-type monsters because I felt they didn't fit in with the setting (there were so few anyway). I replaced them with more Reptile and Avian monsters, as they had so few members in their categories. Some examples include Fire Cobra, Blue Salamander, Saurus, Boss Crow, and Phoenix. I also reclassified certain monsters, specifically Harpy, Gust Harpy, Cure Harpy, Owl Harpy, Tin Hawk, Copper Hawk, Silver Hawk, Gold Hawk, Haunted Armor, and Mist Armor.

In terms of the Familiar List I added Devil Cat, Wood Dog, Bite Piranha, Blizzard Wolf, and Icefloe Sealion. I also reworked a few aspects of some of the familiars. One notable example is that the Skitter Mouse is the natural prey to several other familiars, as familiars are just more special animals (specifically: Devil Cat, Frostbite Fox, Lunar Owl, Quick Cobra, Stealth Falcon, and Storm Hawk, though Gorgon Vipers also express an interest in eating them). Other changes include making the Devil Cat the natural rival to the Wood Dog and vice-versa (cats and dogs, duh), with the same applying to the Mimic Monkey and Wood Dog (that old Japanese(?) reference that dogs and monkeys are rivals, if I'm remembering correctly), that Fiend Eye and Bite Piranha always form in groups (3 and 5, respectively), and that Feathered Serpents don't like winter.
How easy is it to come up with a list of monsters?

How easy is it to come up with a list of monsters?

Depends. Most of the monsters I made for said list are pretty straight-forward, such as Slimes (or called "Gummi" in this case), Beasts (such as rats, moles, porcupines, and chimeras), Undead (such as floating skulls and zombies), and Insects (hornets, cockroaches, moths, etc), to name a few. I sometimes use various RPGs to give me inspiration on certain types of monsters that I can mimic, like Breath of Fire and Golden Sun. Basically, when it comes to monsters, there's really no limit to what you want to make, since the classification of "monster" is a very broad umbrella term (Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon certainly prove that). That's why my Chaos Rising Monster List ended up so huge, as different ideas manifested into new monsters to the point I overdid it. Which is another reason why I kept this list much, much shorter and simpler. Sometimes it can be as easy as 1-2-3 and it'll just snowball from there while other times you could spend hours just trying to think of one breed. It really all depends. Having an (overly) active imagination can certainly make the process easier. It took me a single night to come up with this particular monster list, as the ideas just kept flowing (despite my fatigue from the insomnia), though, as my post stated, I've since modified it to better fit the concept and nature of the prototype idea. It really just boils down to what you think would make a good "monster", as they can be just simple animals to things like demons and dragons and everything in-between.

Depends. Most of the monsters I made for said list are pretty straight-forward, such as Slimes (or called "Gummi" in this case), Beasts (such as rats, moles, porcupines, and chimeras), Undead (such as floating skulls and zombies), and Insects (hornets, cockroaches, moths, etc), to name a few. I sometimes use various RPGs to give me inspiration on certain types of monsters that I can mimic, like Breath of Fire and Golden Sun. Basically, when it comes to monsters, there's really no limit to what you want to make, since the classification of "monster" is a very broad umbrella term (Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon certainly prove that). That's why my Chaos Rising Monster List ended up so huge, as different ideas manifested into new monsters to the point I overdid it. Which is another reason why I kept this list much, much shorter and simpler. Sometimes it can be as easy as 1-2-3 and it'll just snowball from there while other times you could spend hours just trying to think of one breed. It really all depends. Having an (overly) active imagination can certainly make the process easier. It took me a single night to come up with this particular monster list, as the ideas just kept flowing (despite my fatigue from the insomnia), though, as my post stated, I've since modified it to better fit the concept and nature of the prototype idea. It really just boils down to what you think would make a good "monster", as they can be just simple animals to things like demons and dragons and everything in-between.

Do some monster groups have more than others? Or do they have a similar number of monsters?

Do some monster groups have more than others? Or do they have a similar number of monsters?

Yes, some groups tend to have more monster than others. Here are the statistics from my monster list as an example:

Slime: 9
Beast: 29
Plant: 14
Avian: 11
Insect: 17
Reptile: 12
Spirit: 9
Undead: 15
Lesser Devil: 13
Aquatic: 15
Dragon: 7

As you can see, Dragon has the lowest total members while Beast has the most. So it's to-be-expected that some types of monsters might outnumber others, as not every category will get equal billing due to design limitations (slimes in most RPGs, for example, rarely deviate from the basic blob with eyes, colors notwithstanding, so you can't get too far on that alone, while beasts are often the most numerous due to how many species of animals there are in real life, thus grant a lot of design freedom). Look at Pokemon types, as not all types have equal numbers of members between them (for example, Water is the most numerous while Ice is the least). It's not easy giving all monster categories the same number of members, so it's best not to try and force yourself to even out all the categories out or you'll overload yourself. Again, that was one of my problems with the Chaos Rising Monster List, as I kept trying to find new ideas to fit certain categories that were underrepresented before eventually giving up and settling for what I had come up with. So, in short, if some monster types outnumber others, don't worry about it, as you'll work yourself into the ground if you try to give them all equal billing. Some types are just easier to make than others for various reasons.

Forgive the double post (again) but I got a few more familiars added to my Familiar List. They are Birch Shroom, Venus Flower, Sniper Spider, Soul Flick, and Siren Harpy, the former two being the first Plant-type familiars I've come up with. Also, they're all Level 2 familiars, except the Siren Harpy, which is a Level 4 (due to being a more benevolent version of the Harpy family of monsters, thus it's naturally stronger). That should do for now, as I have to get ready for my favorite tv show.

1735 words today. I think it was a little slow to get to the event, but it kinda took off from there (with a break or two in between, along with some light research). Gotta figure out how I want to do what's next, but I have a vague idea from a while ago.

Made a slight change to the Edyn Monster List. I took out two of monsters from the list (Night Crow and Boss Crow) and replaced them with Gargathox and Basilisk, which are a Dragon and Spirit-type monster, respectively (although the Basilisk does have some draconic features). The reason for this change is because they were actually in my earliest ideas for this series but I forgot about them due to other things. And since the Night Crow and Boss Crow monsters are pretty meh I decided to replace them for these earlier monster designs. I know I could've just tacked them on but I'm trying to keep the monster list at a certain length so I don't overdo it again like I did with the Chaos Rising Monster List. It'll be much easier on me when I actually start this series to keep things simple. After all, that's how my previous prototype idea died, so I learned from that mistake. Also made some slight tweaks to some other entries, mostly modifying certain valuable parts on a few other monster breeds.

728 words today. Had to get writing into the part a bit before I figured out how to do the thing, but it seems to be working reasonably well so far. It was yesterday I found out a fallacy in Uncoloured and left a comment so I would figure something out later, and the answer hit me on the way to work this morning, so I left a note for myself so that I could fix it when I got home. After I get this play/musical thing over with in Aerosteel, I might get through it in Uncoloured so I can be done watching it once and for all (I don't even know how many times I've watched it or parts of it at this point).

1519 words today. I wasn't planning on writing that much but I was having trouble with thinking of an ending of a scene and I realized if I didn't write one tonight I might never come back to this fic and and I think I'm starting to grow on the idea more. So I wrote and rewrote the ending, then went back to the original one because I liked it more, but I still had to make some adjustments to it. I'm still unsure about it and it could definitely cause some issues, but I'm hoping if I flesh it out more it will help.

Added several more familiars to the Familiar List. Thanks to suggestions from someone I know (and who gave me a few examples of different familiar powers) I managed to create several different familiars. They are: Edan Gecko, Gilbert Toad, Aldwyn Specter, Pakshara Starfish, Shady Jackal, Demi Phoenix, Lava Mermaid, Lothar Leopard, and Schuyler Condor, which are a Reptile, Aquatic, Undead, Aquatic, Beast, Avian, Spirit, Beast, and Avian familiars, respectively. All of them, with the exception of Lava Mermaid and Demi Phoenix, have their names based off of various familiars in mythology, albeit remade into different animals (ie: Edan is actually a tortoise that specializes in time magic to perfect alchemy), though the new familiars possess similar powers (using the same example, Edan Gecko increases the user's ability to craft potions and improves their alchemy proficiency). I admit I learned quite a bit about familiars from those suggestions. Anyway, I think this should do for now, as I've said before I want to keep things simple so I don't overdo it again. But we shall see.

Forgive the double post but I just (hopefully) finished the Spell List for my prototype series. Basically, it lists all the spells that are known on Edyn. They are categorized by Element, Level (1-5), and Strength (Low, Moderate, High, Very High). It includes all nine basic elements (Fire, Wind, Water, Earth, Lightning, Ice, Wood, Light, and Dark), along with Status (things like buffing and status ailments) and Healing being considered sub-categories. Like before I'm trying to keep it simple so I didn't make anything too elaborate or outlandish, especially since this world won't have RPG mechanics like Chaos Rising did (so things like buffing are more general purpose instead of actually boosting stats in-battle). That should do.

Back
Top Bottom