• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: What Did You Write Today?

Wrote the next chapter of Dawn of Courage today ("Trials and Tribulations"). A bit stop-and-go, as my motivation was low, but I got it done.

Anyway, the party has just finished errands and are about to head for the inn when an old man tells them about a relic made by the Goddess that they can use against Muu. While somewhat suspicious the party decides to check it out in case it ends up being true. They arrive at the cavern dedicated to the Goddess and meet one of her demigod spirit subjects. He allows Nova to take the Soul Key so it can be used as a weapon against Muu. However, Dominic and Eoleo appear, both having learned about the wish-granting item, and in resulting struggle Dominic, Eoleo, and Nova break the Soul Key. They are forced to take three trials each in order to see if they should be punished or not, and they can't avoid it otherwise their lives will be forfeit. Dominic and Eoleo are forced into agreeing to it while Nova just grins and bears it. But they cannot bring any weapons, offensive magical accessories, or anything related to familiars and magical beasts with them, though the Demon King Ring is considered the exception due to its unique nature (and the fact it's basically welded to Nova's finger, preventing it from ever being removed anyway).

The first trial is facing one's greatest fear. Nova realizes the undead are illusions and when asked by another spirit if he was afraid of the illusions he replies yes. The second trial is one's desires and what one is will to do to get them. Nova's desire is rather pure: ensuring that Nina has a good life even if he has to work hard to grant it. When given the option to grant both of them an easy life without any responsibility Nova turns it down, knowing that working for what he has makes everything more valuable. The third trial is one's deepest wish. Nova's wish is to be accepted by his family but when given an easy solution to it he turns it down, knowing that he cannot cheat his way into his family's good books, he has to find another way to earn it. The three males meet up in what looks like a courthouse where the three spirits that gave them the trials gathered. Dominic and Eoleo failed miserably, as their pride, greed, and egos were on full display, while Nova passed, as his honesty and good core nature was clearly shown. As such Nova is allowed to leave safely while Dominic and Eoleo remain to face punishment. Nova talks to the first spirit, correctly deducing that the Soul Key is fake so to test the worthiness of those who seek it out. The spirit confirms this and says the Soul Key, while it does exist, can't grant what it claims it can, which is also to show that there are no shortcuts in the war with Muu. The party leaves empty-handed. That night Nova and Nina share a tender moment, where Nina expresses her relief at Nova's safety. The next chapter, "Saving Fairy Forest", features the party dealing with Muu's latest plot.

Wrote the next chapter of Dawn of Courage today ("Saving Fairy Forest"). It's not very long but it's still important in the long-run.

Anyway, the party are continuing their journey. They, however, encounter the fairies from a while back, who desperately need their help. Fairy Forest is under attack by Muu's forces. They're after the mana aquifer that exists there, as it's not only connected to several others, but the various mana aquifers help keep the planet alive. Muu's forces plan to contaminate it so it'll slowly kill the planet until only Undead can live on Edyn. The fairies take the party to Fairy Forest, which is in the process of getting burned down. The party encounters General Scorpidon, a skeleton scorpion, much to Nina's discomfort, and his Undead Army platoon. The Undead Soldiers keep the party distracted while Scorpidon heads to where the mana aquifer is so he can contaminate it. The party succeeds in destroying the Undead Soldiers but during that time Scorpidon succeeded in contaminating the mana aquifer. After a battle that he loses Scorpidon attempts to take the party down with him with Kamikaze but Sir Reginald's barrier protects the party. After Angelo puts out the fires with his Tsunami Knight Shaman form Nina dons her Nymph Wing form and uses it to tap into the mana aquifer in hopes of purifying it, using herself as a filter. It's a risky move that could potentially kill her but she goes through with it in order to save Edyn. After a while she is successful, having purified the mana aquifer at the cost of making her very ill and weak. She also restored Fairy Forest in the process. She is given a Dream Lily to help cleanse her body of the negative energies, though she needs lots of rest and will be out of commission for at least a few days until her body detoxifies itself. The next chapter, "The Goddess' Gift", features the aftermath of Nina's actions, and the reward she gains for performing such a selfless act.

Forgive the double post but I managed to write the next chapter of Dawn of Courage despites having a migraine ("The Goddess' Gift").

The party is still in Fairy Forest. Nina is still in the process of recovering from her heroic act, with Nova by her side. Van checks on her and gives he medicine, saying she'll make a full recovery, but it will take time. He also mentions that Nina's act saved Edyn in more than one sense, as the Goddess herself would've had to intervene to prevent the contamination of the mana aquifer, which is what Muu would've wanted so he could swoop in and steal her powers while she was weakened. Just then Belzebuth contacts the party via the Demon King Ring, saying that the Goddess is extremely grateful for Nina's sacrifice so she has a gift planned for her, but she needs to wait until Nina has recovered to a certain degree, especially since they need access to a Goddess Statue like those found at magical campsites. The next day the party is preparing to leave. The fairies show Nina their thank you gift: a monument of her, citing her as the savior of Fairy Forest, which Nina humbly thanks them for. They return to where they were before traveling to Fairy Forest and search for the nearest magical campsite. The following day Nina is up again and experiences her autumn molting, which, in turn, not only burned off all her old, contaminated feathers, but the new, fresh Magic Fire Feathers activated and healed her substantially, though not enough to return to battle just yet. The Goddess contacts them from the Goddess Statue and gives Nina various magical gifts that will protect her and keep her safe from harm, be it regular enemies or Muu's forces, along with various immunities. Nina, who is feeling quite perky now, has a menu request for breakfast, which Nova happily complies. The next chapter, "Building Grassroots", features the "official" debut of the Grassroot Clan (one member briefly showed up in an earlier chapter but only as a character-of-the-day, so not much came about it).

I really need to start reading through dawn of courage because I enjoy reading these plot summaries.

On that note, I held my nose and wrote a very rough draft of about 500 to 1000 words on samsung note on my tablet today (I couldn't use the desktop with cat sleeping in chair). I'm hoping to have a coherent first chapter before Scarlet hits on the 18th.

I really need to start reading through dawn of courage because I enjoy reading these plot summaries.

On that note, I held my nose and wrote a very rough draft of about 500 to 1000 words on samsung note on my tablet today (I couldn't use the desktop with cat sleeping in chair). I'm hoping to have a coherent first chapter before Scarlet hits on the 18th.
Why didn't you move the cat?

Haha the cat is spoiled like that. To stay on topic, I settled on doing a short term fic for a change to avoid writing myself into another hole. I have the tendency in the past to write a long term story and never finish it.

Wrote the next chapter of Dawn of Courage today ("Building Grassroots"). This may be the last chapter I write for a while as my left hand is starting to hurt and I want to get it checked out.

Anyway, the party are heading to Rosewood Village, home of the Grassroot Clan, or plantmen. Nova is briefed on some of the Grassroot Clan's nature, such as their quest for knowledge, long lifespans, and the fact they don't get along with the Buzzwing Clan due to being like water and oil with them. When they get to the village they noticed that the clan members are tense, but when asked about it they are rebuffed. Fortunately, a mushroom nymph named Rosa tells them the situation: they're being threatened by an Undead Captain named Ghostfire and his platoon of Burning Knight Undead Soldiers. They either give Ghostfire their clan's treasure or get burned to ash, as the Grassroot Clan has a strong weakness to fire. The reason why none of the other Grassroot members wanted to talk about it is because they didn't want to drag anyone else into the mix. The party volunteers to deal with Ghostfire, as it is their job to fight Muu, which causes the Grassroot Clan members to change their tune and give the party any information they need. The party, sans Nina, who is still recovering from earlier events, challenge Ghostfire and his Undead Army platoon. The party is victorious and the trapped soul within Ghostfire is freed. The Grassroot Clan welcomes the party much more warmly now that Ghostfire is gone and are willing to offer their services to the party. The next chapter, "Savana Scourge", features the titular Shaman form in action.

I wrote another thousand words. I haven't decided how long I want to make the first chapter yet and I'm not sure if I like the direction I'm taking the story in. It's different from the last three pokemon fics I wrote so I like that much so far.

Because I now have carpal tunnel (confirmed this morning, though I caught it early so it's not a serious case), thus I have to wear a brace for a while, I can't write too much within a certain period of time. That said, I can do short bursts without much issue. So I made a few updates to the Food-Producing Monster List for Dawn of Courage. New additions include: "Blacktail Crayfish", "Spark Squid", "Cruelcumber", "Onion Ringneck", "Rudeabaga", and "Savage Cabbage" (some of these sound like something out of the Chowder cartoon or Konosuba, doesn't it?). I also included their elements, weaknesses, edible parts, and effects of edible parts. That should do for now.

Wrote about 100 words yesterday before hitting a wall. I seem to have some good ideas but they seem executed at the wrong times. I'm going to be spending today making my first limbo folder for this story and shifting through what I want to happen in the first chapter and will happen later on.

Added two more monsters into the Food-Producing Monster List for Dawn of Courage. They are: "Zugenie" and "Rockolli" (credit for the latter goes to @Steel_Justice for suggesting the idea). Both are of the Plant classification. Listed their elements, weaknesses, edible parts, and effects of edible parts. Also got the last four chapters back from my proofreader so I edited them, now ready to post.

Back
Top Bottom