• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Dissapointed You Most In XY?

What Did You Hate Most?

• Total voters
Sky battles would have been cool to explore, especially when it seemed that Serena enjoyed them during that one episode and it would have expanded more on a rather weak game mechanics, but I can see why they didn't go that route. Serena would have needed to capture more Pokemon that could fly, which would kind of limit her options, and most importantly, they'd need to have a lot of areas where Sky battles were possible given that the trainer was up in the sky along with their Pokemon. Including various areas where that would be possible would be probably more difficult than more places for Pokemon Showcases.

The fact that X/Y didn't really have much of anything besides Gym battles was a huge problem for what the anime could do for Serena. I just hope Sun/Moon can have some other sidequest, be it either Contests or something brand new, for the female lead to do in order to potentially avoid the same problems that Serena's character and storyline had.

True, Pokemon are an issue. For one thing, Serena would have to get 50% of Ash's Kalos team. Talonflame, Noivern are probably the most notable Flying types in Generation 6. Hawlucha is a glider rather than a flier (much like Gliscor), so that's an uncertain, but Gliscor was trained in Aerial combat so Hawlucha could do it. There's Vivillon, too. There're Pokemon capable of floating- Inkay and Pumpkaboo (which were both caught by Team Rocket) and the Honedge line come to mind. Serena being a Sky battler would require everyone besides Clemont to have a different roster. And depending on how they would've made sky battles, she may not even need a full roster of 6.

As for locations, the anime hasn't been shy about anime-only locations to make the region feel more expansive and alive. They could have made Kalos be a treasure trove for sky battlers with locations facilitating this style, which could also serve to explain why Kalos is a popular place for this type of trainer. Could have natural locations, ones that were carved out by human hands, or completely artificial stages. If they wanted to go that route, it could've worked. Just needs to be developed.

But then again, this is all fanfiction and wishful thinking at this point. There's nothing we can do but wonder.

Last edited:
Have gotta go with the League here. Normally they are highly regarded minus 'Best Wishes' of course but this League was rushed as hell. The only two battles that really mattered were Ash vs Alan and Ash vs Sawyer. The other battles just didn't seem to matter all that much. I would have liked to seen a full battle between Ash vs Astrid.

The lack of continuity is one thing that disappointed me also. There were hardly any mentions of the past or anything. Oak and Ash's mom barely appeared, none of Ash's past Pokemon were referenced, none of his friends were mentioned, and Ash never recalled any memories. Best Wishes did have more continuity, as we got to see Dawn, we ran into Cynthia, and Ash recalled everything that happened between him and Charizard. It would have been nice if we did see more Oak, Ash's mom, and other cameos. It would have been nice even if Ash referenced his own Charizard when he first saw Alain's.

The only mention of past seasons that I actually caught was when the group went to the aquarium and saw a group/school/pack/whatever of Piplup. Ash mentioned that he and Pikachu know one very special Piplup. But that's about it.

It came as a shock to me that Ash never mentioned Infernape. Korrina and Lucario were going through so much trouble with Lucario's power getting the better of him, Ash could've shown that he's actually learned something from his adventures and helped them deal with this but nop

And to add to Lion-Cub, it would've been nice to mention his own Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander when he met up with Tierno, Trevor, and Shauna. I'm pretty sure he didn't even mention that they're Kanto starters but I may be wrong on this.

Bianca in bw is a female rival i guess?

She was technically a rival, but I'm not sure how much people would count anime Bianca. She was basically a more incompetent and more annoying female Barry. I think that she battled Ash only once and her being in the Unova League didn't really matter that much. Even after the initial reaction to her loss, Bianca was perfectly fine, acted like a tourist there just to support Ash, which made me wonder even more why they bothered to include her in the series in the first place. An actual good female rival for Ash would be nice to see in the future.

As for the issue of references to previous series, I can see why that would upset people and there were plenty of opportunities for them to do something about that, but I don't think that really bothered me too much. They could throw out some small references now and then. I don't think talking about Ash's Charizard would have been too confusing for kids, especially when BW dedicated a whole episode just to glorify Charizard only for it to do nothing, but it would be on the lower end of the totem pole for my problems with XY in the grand scheme of things.

Pathetically weak rivals, Serena not being assertive enough in going after Ash, showcases being watered-down contests, forgettable gym leaders and badge battles, the majority of fights having little actual strategy, and Team Rocket not being as funny anymore. Also, Clemont having no game and overreacting to Bonnie asking women to take care of him.

XY was definitely a step above BW but even on its best day it didn't come close to reaching the heights of AG or DP.

- wanted 3vs3 in 7 out of 8 gyms.(one was a good double battle)
- wanted more league battles (maybe one more oponent maybe from Alola with a team of 6 new pokemon)
- more 6vs 6 in league.
- did we get the bug move "Powder" , ice type move Freeze-Dry (only in movie), bug type move Infestation to see this gen in the gyms or League?
- use of difrent pokemon like Shedinja and others that were unused in important battles.
- there should be a higher amount of moves and abilities to see.
-more battle themed episodes (Gym+League)
-wanted to see more Chesnaught and Delphox used in battles, maybe on oponents side(not necessary under Ash ownership) in the league.

- battle strategies and ways that regular pokemon could win with megas too(abilities+moves).

Sawyer(more then 15 pokemon battles against Ash if I count right???) and Alan(6+2+1=9) were good rivals but why did they wasted those other two with Blastoise(could have also had a mega) and Mega Charizard Y?
they could also have battled Ash in a secondary round or something? or made survival rounds that they could somehow battle Ash.

- make Dragontail in the anime work like in the games, we all need more switching.

Last edited:
Them flushing Serena's unique and interesting shipping plot down the toilet in favor of a half assed contest ripoff.

I'm not really sure how interesting Serena's crush on Ash was, but even before Showcases were a thing, calling it a plot is giving it way too much credit. This is still Pokemon and romance isn't really a central focus. It's why it's been mainly used for comedy relief bits like with Brock and Bonnie, even though I still hate Bonnie's gag with a firey passion. Even Serena's crush has been mainly used for comedy relief bits like with Miette teasing her about it or being disappointed that she couldn't get to dance with Ash. Anyone who seriously thought that Serena's main focus in XY would be about Ash instead of Pokemon must have been watching a different show or something.

As I said before, romance and Pokemon do not mix in well together. It's not going to be used as anything more than a gimmick or a running gag simply because we are following a group of ten year old children. Bonnie is obviously younger than that and I still get the impression that Clemont is twelve for some reason, but the point is that they aren't going to be focused on romance. That isn't the point of the show. It's about promoting the newest games and merchandise by watching a group of kids have adventures with their Pokemon. Romance does not and quite frankly should not enter the equation to the point of being something that they focus on as something serious. It would be kind of jarring and unfitting for the purpose of the show and its general tone. It would be like going into a romance movie and expecting a huge amount of action in it. There are some romance movies with action, but the point is that it's not really the norm for the genre or what the main purpose behind a romance movie is.

If you really want to see actual serious legit romantic development in the Pokemon anime series, you're climbing up the wrong tree. There are plenty of other romance series. You don't need to force it into a series that wouldn't really benefit from it considering that the main casts are all never aging children. At least having romance in something like Pokemon Adventures works more because the characters there are older and they do actually age. I think Adventures Red is supposed to be twenty at this point in the story, so something like that does make the idea of romance work a bit better than the anime, or at least make it less jarring than wanting to see a couple of ten year old children get into a relationship.

This does remind me of how much I hated Bonnie's gag. I actually liked it at first when she only did the bit after learning something about a female character, like seeing how much Viola loved to take pictures of Pokemon, so it was like a slightly less shallow version of Brock's gag. I could be okay with that at first, but then she started to just ask any random woman to marry Clemont, even without knowing their names or seeing their faces. Plus, I always hated that we were expected to laugh at Clemont during the bit. He was clearly upset over the whole thing and Bonnie wouldn't listen to him, but everyone just brushed it off with a laugh. They did the same thing with that Smoochum getting so excited to see Pancham. It's as if the show has no idea that the concept of personal space exists or that no means no.

To be fair, part of this is at least me thinking way too much about the gag, probably more than the writers did, but it does bother me so much. Brock doesn't get a free pass either since his gag could get pretty creepy too. Rewatching some of the older episodes makes me wonder why my skin wasn't crawling when I first watched some of the scenes where he hits on random women, but at least it was funny at times, especially in DP. Bonnie's gag is just plain bad and unfunny to me. Bonnie is fine when they focus on her love for Pokemon since that comes off as genuinely sweet, but when they focused on her running gag, then we get really bad moments and episodes. It might not be one of the biggest problems with XY as a whole, but it is a huge frustrating point for me that really does bring Bonnie's character and overall appeal for me.

I'm not really sure how interesting Serena's crush on Ash was, but even before Showcases were a thing, calling it a plot is giving it way too much credit. This is still Pokemon and romance isn't really a central focus. It's why it's been mainly used for comedy relief bits like with Brock and Bonnie, even though I still hate Bonnie's gag with a firey passion. Even Serena's crush has been mainly used for comedy relief bits like with Miette teasing her about it or being disappointed that she couldn't get to dance with Ash. Anyone who seriously thought that Serena's main focus in XY would be about Ash instead of Pokemon must have been watching a different show or something.
Her crush was a hell of a lot more interesting than everything else about her.

In fact i would say that Rhyhorn racing would have been a better goal than showcases ever was.

Last edited:
Her crush was a hell of a lot more interesting than everything else about her.

In fact i would say that Rhyhorn racing would have been a better goal than showcases ever was.
Serena should've captured a Rhyhorn. I personally would've liked it if she evolved it all the way to Rhyperior

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom