• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Dissapointed You Most In XY?

What Did You Hate Most?

• Total voters
Her crush was a hell of a lot more interesting than everything else about her.

In fact i would say that Rhyhorn racing would have been a better goal than showcases ever was.

I disagree that Serena's crush is more interesting than everything else about her. I feel like people are focused way too much on that gimmick and not really focused on what her journey is really about. It wasn't to go find Ash. It was because she didn't want to be a Rhyhorn Racer like her mother was forcing onto her. She found something that she was actually passionate about, became a more confident and determined person and grew to really love and care for her Pokemon. That's much better than if she was spending so much screentime trying to figure out how to confess to Ash or something like that.

Rhyhorn Racing would have been a more interesting goal than Showcases were, but considering that I think Showcases are as bland and boring as dirt, that doesn't really say much. It would have been more exciting to watch at least, but again, I think that's missing the point of Serena's journey. Granted, it wasn't handled nearly as well as it could be, which is why I'd consider Serena's journey one of the biggest problems I have with XY in spite of liking her character and her overall development, but I think just making her a Rhyhorn Racer wouldn't have worked out that much better than Showcases.

I found the showcases boring and the crush had ruined the character for me. Serena was the least likable person in the group for me. Better than Iris but not as good as Clemont for me.

I disagree that Serena's crush is more interesting than everything else about her. I feel like people are focused way too much on that gimmick and not really focused on what her journey is really about. It wasn't to go find Ash. It was because she didn't want to be a Rhyhorn Racer like her mother was forcing onto her. She found something that she was actually passionate about, became a more confident and determined person and grew to really love and care for her Pokemon. That's much better than if she was spending so much screentime trying to figure out how to confess to Ash or something like that.

Rhyhorn Racing would have been a more interesting goal than Showcases were, but considering that I think Showcases are as bland and boring as dirt, that doesn't really say much. It would have been more exciting to watch at least, but again, I think that's missing the point of Serena's journey. Granted, it wasn't handled nearly as well as it could be, which is why I'd consider Serena's journey one of the biggest problems I have with XY in spite of liking her character and her overall development, but I think just making her a Rhyhorn Racer wouldn't have worked out that much better than Showcases.
Serena would've looked awesome with a Rhyhorn. Could imagine the attacks it would have. Still peeved that she was wasted the first 50 episodes

I found the showcases boring and the crush had ruined the character for me. Serena was the least likable person in the group for me. Better than Iris but not as good as Clemont for me.
Yeah and the fans didn't make it any better. Showcases were great visually, but they should've just brought Contests back. I was rewatching some old contest episodes and those were better compared to showcases. Can you imagine the visual aspects of showcases (the performance/appeals round) applied to contests and then the battle part?

Yeah and the fans didn't make it any better. Showcases were great visually, but they should've just brought Contests back. I was rewatching some old contest episodes and those were better compared to showcases. Can you imagine the visual aspects of showcases (the performance/appeals round) applied to contests and then the battle part?

Maybe. I think it could have been beneficial if they did a fusion of Showcases and Contests, in order to make the competitions more complex and make the Keys harder to get. Basically, it could have been split in this way:

• Themed Round - Tests the knowledge of the Trainer, regarding things like grooming and training;
• Appeal Round - Tests the coordination of Trainer and Pokémon, by making both of them star under the spotlight;
• Challenge Round - Tests the skills of the Pokémon in some kind of competition with rules, like a battle or something sport-related.

I may have loved Performances, unlike most people, but I admit that I'm quite disappointed by the fact that they didn't develop them to their fullest, making them a mere afterthought.

Last edited:
Maybe. I think it could have been beneficial if they did a fusion of Showcases and Contests, in order to make the competitions more complex and make the Keys harder to get. Basically, it could have been split in this way:

• Themed Round - Tests the knowledge of the Trainer, regarding things like grooming and training;
• Appeal Round - Tests the coordination of Trainer and Pokémon, by making both of them star under the spotlight;
• Challenge Round - Tests the skills of the Pokémon in some kind of competition with rules, like a battle or something sport-related.

I may have loved Performances, unlike most people, but I admit that I'm quite disappointed by the fact that they didn't develop them to their fullest, making them a mere afterthought.
They totally need to hire you. I'm not kidding, this is what I'd have loved to see.

I voted for lack of Pokemon caught and other.

I'm still pretty annoyed that, once again, the traveling companions both had very small teams. I think Serena's Showcases definitely would have benefited from a larger variety of Pokemon. All of her Free Performances before the Master Class were pretty similar. And I think Clemont could have caught at least one more Pokemon since Dedenne was with Bonnie for most of the time. Also, more screen time and focus episodes on the companion's Pokemon would have been great.

I'm also really disappointed with how Ash's dragons ended up. Goodra's story was rushed way more than it should have been and I honestly don't think he ever should have been left at the swamp. Noibat being obtained as a baby made his development extremely slow and he wasn't able to participate in any major battles until his evolution, which imo was also rather rushed. I think both of these Pokemon being captured earlier would have been much better and allowed for a more spread out development period.

I think that Serena and Clemont having smaller teams worked. Given their roles, I think getting much more would have risked Pokemon fading into the background. It happened even with Clemont's Luxray since it really didn't get much of a chance to shine after the Gym battle against Ash. I wouldn't even really consider Dedenne Clemont's Pokemon given that Bonnie is the one who is raising it and Clemont has done nothing other than capture it and gave it a command once. While more Pokemon could have helped with Serena's performances, I think that it would have been even more likely for them to fade in the background given how Showcases work. Maybe getting a fourth Pokemon for each of them, or at least Serena, could have worked, but nothing more than that. Plus, I think that they could have made the smaller team for Showcases work more by simply giving her Pokemon new moves. Having new moves to create new combinations for their performances would have been a good way to compromise with the fewer Pokemon Serena was catching.

I agree about Ash's Dragons though. I am still annoyed with how rushed they made Goodra's story. I would have loved to see Ash train Goomy some more and have it win a few battles before it evolved. Showing that even what the Pokedex labeled as the weakest of Dragon Pokemon can be strong and win after training it would fit Ash and his beliefs on Pokemon perfectly. It is utterly disappointing that they chose to rush through Goomy's evolutions just so that Ash could get a Goodra in time for his Gym battle with Clemont. And then they had to leave it at the wetlands so Ash could have a free slot for no good reason. I still don't like that Goodra came back because that does make me seriously question why they left it and why they gave Ash a Noibat.

Noibat is another huge frustrating disappointment. I remember when I was hoping it would be handled better than Goodra was. At this point, Noivern might actually be handled even worse than Goodra. At least Goodra helped Ash get a badge. Noivern really doesn't have anything like that under its belt. It was also a really terrible idea to give Ash a baby Pokemon if they weren't going to do much with it, especially when that does make Noibat's evolution very sudden and forced. They were trying to create another cool evolution episode like with Talonflame's, but Talonflame actually had experience to justify why it would evolve during that moment, along with wanting to protect Ash and the others from Moltres' attack. If they wanted to give Ash another Pokemon so it could get to its evolved form quickly, they could have easily just given him a Pokemon that evolves through trading and found a way for Ash to get it to evolve instead. Goodra and Noibat are two of the biggest reasons why I find Ash's XY team a complete mess. It's still far from the worst team he's ever gotten, but I do think it's quite possible the most frustrating/disappointing team he's had in quite awhile.

I'll third the disappointment about Goodra and Noivern. Along with what Hidden Mew said, another thing that bothered me about their development was that usually Dragon Pokémon are portrayed as the ones that are hard to trait and take a lot of effort to become strong. It's a trait that's overall pretty apparent in the franchise at large, and the anime itself has highlighted it to at least some extent. Both of Ash's XY dragons however threw that out of the window as they evolve with very little development, even in comparison to other Pokemon. Goodra jumped from a Goomy to its final form in a pretty short amount of time, and while it got attention during said time, it still was rather rushed in how it was done as it didn't participate in too many battles and the like, which made it feel pretty forced. Noivern was worse since he only had three episodes of development including his birth, and yet he still evolved in a quick amount of time. It especially goes double for him since he was a baby, and the anime usually makes it harder for baby Pokémon to get out of their rut and get stronger since they are young Pokémon meant to grow from their humble beginnings. Ash's Donphan is an example of that as it didn't evolve until the Battle Frontier, long after its initial debut. So the fact that Noivern sped through his development in comparison to it and other baby Pokemon just highlights how thrown in and rushed it was, which is sad to say since it had a lot of potential going into the team.

At this point, I'd honestly consider both Goodra and Noivern to be among Ash's most mishandled Pokémon. Both rushed too much in their development for what were pretty middling results, and they should've been present on the team more often then they were. They're both one of XY's greatest faults in terms of its writing, and I hope that the next region, whatever they have planned for it, will better balance the Pokémon team to avoid this issue repeat.

The fact that Bonnie is interacting with Zygarde Core is really disappointing. She is not even old enough to have a pokemon of her own. It made more sense for Ash to bond with it as he is the main character of the show.

The fact that Bonnie is interacting with Zygarde Core is really disappointing. She is not even old enough to have a pokemon of her own. It made more sense for Ash to bond with it as he is the main character of the show.

She's already bonded with various other Pokemon, like the Flabebe and especially the Tyrunt, and she is practically Dedenne's trainer given how more involved she's been with raising it than Clemont has. It makes sense that she'd bond with the Zygarde Core. She was the one who found it and a seemingly undiscovered cute Pokemon would appeal to her. It also gives Bonnie something to do for the last chuck of the series, as well as the Team Flare arc in general.

Besides all that, I think Ash bonding with it would have been a bit much. He already has two Dragon Pokemon on his team and a special power in the form of Ash-Greninja. I think making Ash bond with Squishy on top of all of that would have gone too far. Not to mention more people would probably complain about Ash forming a bond with another Legendary Pokemon given that he does that for a good chuck of the movies. It would have been more predictable and less interesting than if Bonnie was the one taking care of it. If they focused on Ash's connection to Greninja and Squishy, his other team members would have had an even harder time getting attention, Bonnie would have something less to do and that probably would have been tricky to focus on during the Team Flare arc too.

Last edited:
That we didnt get more battles of this pokemon in the league:

Shedinja,
Delphox ,
Chesnaught,
Tyrantrum,
mega Charizard Y (would be cool to see a 3vs3 or full battle of Ash and Trevor),
mega Blastoise(if rebattled Ash),
mega Venusaur
Vivillon

They could have made more 3vs3 or 6vs6 battles and use more pokemon.

She's already boned with various other Pokemon
A spelling mistake that is hilarious as it is horrifying.

But yeah, I agree that she and Squishy are perfect together; Bonnie has a big heart and is a nurturer. It makes total sense for them to bond, especially with all the time they've spent together. Plus she had very little presence a lot of the time (what with not having a goal or inventions to work on), so this was a great way to give her some limelight.

A spelling mistake that is hilarious as it is horrifying.

But yeah, I agree that she and Squishy are perfect together; Bonnie has a big heart and is a nurturer. It makes total sense for them to bond, especially with all the time they've spent together.

Yeah, that was a big mistake on my part with the spelling mistake, but I fixed it now.

I think that Ash bonding with Squishy would have been giving him too much to do during this arc anyway. He's the main character and all that, but that doesn't mean he has to do all of the important stuff. I imagine one of the main draws for the Team Flare arc is that we get to see everyone in the group doing something. It isn't just Ash and his Pokemon saving the day like in most of the movies. It's a group effort, which wouldn't have worked if Squishy was bonded with Ash instead of Bonnie.

Totes agreed. And frankly, Ash has already had tons and tons of screentime and focus. In a show that puts so much emphasis on friendship, bonds, and that any person or Pokemon (big or small) can do something great, it wouldn't be satisfying if Bonnie was left out.

While the Bonnie-Squishy bond was sometimes very "in your face" is definetely in the Not bad list of XY. That doesn't mean Squishy's development was good, I waited a whole year for a "The group meets Zygarde 10% oficially" and it never happened.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom