• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do we know about the doujinshi "incident"?

Blackjack Gabbiani

Back due to popular demand!
Reaction score
You know, the artist who was hauled to prison or something for doing a Pokémon dj. What happened with that? Why her and no one else? What was so different about her work? What *was* her work?

Most of the things I find are like "it's because it was yaoi" but one of the writers of the show (Masakazu Yonemura, when he was at Sakura Con 2002) told me that he didn't care about such things (I asked him about fanworks in general, and he specifically mentioned "you can write Satoshi/Takeshi for all I care" or words to that general effect). And besides there's tons of Pokémon yaoi doujinshi, and other varieties of explicit works, out there and I don't see any of their artists being taken away.

So what exactly happened with that one? Why did it never happen again? Why did it happen at all?

Yeah, that one. Why her, why "copyright infringement" when they don't have an issue with anyone ELSE doing it, why anything? It all seems so very very strange. If it was such an issue, why single out one person and never touch anyone else? Why no public statements?

Yonemura Masakazu? But the Yonemura who writes for Pokemon is named Yonemura Shoji. I knew there was something fishy about this.

Last edited:
That's who he's listed as on the web sites. I had to look his name up because I can't find the program book from that con and their site doesn't have credits back that far, but I invite you to do the same. I looked up "Sakura Con 2002 guests" and then when I found his name I looked that up and found several sites crediting him as working on Pokémon.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying sounds "fishy". I also don't think he writes for the show any more--this *was* six years ago, and you're using the present tense.

I can try to verify with the con people if you like, but I had a falling out with them that I'd really rather not get into.

Episodes written by Shoji Yonemura

This is the only Yonemura listed on Bulbapedia and the latest episode he wrote was DP95. And when I google "Masakazu Yonemura", the only websites I find connect him to Sakura Con.

Dude, I don't even know anymore. If I had the kanji for his name I could at least compare or something, but as it stands, all I smell is rotten fish.

That's very bizarre because I spoke with him for some time. They made the mistake of putting his autograph panel with the guy who did the character designs or something for Utena so no one was going to this guy which is how I got to talk to him for so long.

I can ask them, honestly, if you really want me to. Because I can't remember his name myself. I think he also worked on Berserk.

....but Shoji Yonemura worked on Berserk.

*throws hands in the air* I DON'T KNOW. Please ask them, what the hell.

I asked on their LJ comm because I don't remember my password for their message board.

This is a niggling detail anyway since the main focus is about the arrested doujinshi artist, and whoever the writer was wouldn't have arrested her. But I'll tell you when I get a reply.

Maybe I can help solve this argument. I used a kanji converter to try and figure it out.

One of the two Kanji for the name Masakazu has the same first kanji as the name Shoji. However, the second kanji for Masakazu is 一, not 二

(I wish I could explain it better, but the forum software tends to screw kanji up a bit. It does for me anyway...)

So, what it really looks like is a mistake in kanji reading.

I'm guessing he wasn't too bothered by the wrong name...

And speaking of the doujinshi artist, there isn't a lot about her on Google. Maybe it was only big news in Japan for obvious reasons. Strange that they would only arrest one person out of so many...

What's strange about this incident is that the woman who was arrested was not a big time "wall-space" artist or anything.
She was just a regular person who occasionally released books.

The question, "why her?"

And plus, the arrest seems to have had some impact in the short term, but seeing how I got a few Pokemon doujins this summer at Comike, I highly doubt it was important on a huge scale.

Oh, and this website may interest you, though it's in Japanese.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but I've never heard of "the doujinshi incident". By what I've read here, it seems that someone wrote and published a Pokémon manga without official permission from the Pokémon company. Am I correct?

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but I've never heard of "the doujinshi incident". By what I've read here, it seems that someone wrote and published a Pokémon manga without official permission from the Pokémon company. Am I correct?

You are correct sir!
However, in japan doujinshi( fan -manga) are fairly common. In fact there's a few big cons for it, but the official authors and creators ignore it in general, because they understand that it helps their industry.

You are correct sir!
However, in japan doujinshi( fan -manga) are fairly common. In fact there's a few big cons for it, but the official authors and creators ignore it in general, because they understand that it helps their industry.
Thanks for explaining.

P.S. I'm not sir, I'm a girl... XD

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom