• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what do you care when you choose your starter?

what do you care when you choose your starter?

• design

Votes: 85 73.9%
  • region

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • type (water, grass, fire)

Votes: 44 38.3%
  • first gym in the gameplay

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • other

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • I'd like other pokemon type (like electric or normal)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I choose an eevee

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

Rika

average pokemon trainer
Reaction score
what make you choose your first pokemon/ starter in your pokemon games??
would you like to choose other pokemon type? like electric or normal (eevee)??

I usually go by type. Water has the less with two. Fire is alright. Sometimes I go with Grass if it peaks my interest.

I care about design, which didn't work out with X. I picked Fennekin cause it looked to me much better than the other two, but by the time it was fully evolved I found that Chesnaught appealed to me more than Delphox.

I just pick whichever one I feel like. Though I tend to choose fire for some reason. It doesn't really matter, I usually get the second version and replay the game several times on that I end up getting to use all the starters eventually. Less because I love the games that much and more because I have ADHD and go through save files like a Snorlax goes through a supermarket.

I normally use my Trainer ID to determine what starter I use. If it is 1-3, then I pick grass. If it is 4-6, then Fire and lastly 7-9 gets me Water. If it is a 0, then it's my choice and I chose based on move set or final form typing.

It's mainly based on the design of the first and final forms for me. As long as I like the way they look, I'll pick it. I'd hope to like the middle stage as well, but since it won't be stuck like that forever, I tend to let that go.

I purely pick a starter that has a strong final evolution, that way it can be fun to train as a fully evolved Pokemon.

I just pick whichever one I want, and it's lead to 3/6 Grass starters (Bulbasaur, Turtwig, Chespin).

Coincidentally, I used only Grass starters in Gen IV, only Fire in Gen V, and only Water in Gen VI. So I'm probably just gonna turn it into a pattern and pick the Grass starter for Gen VII no matter what.

I choose based solely on design (final evolution) and which I like the look of best. I don't really care about stats or whatever for in-game since you can make practically anything usable and it's not like starters are low in that department anyway. It generally ends up being Grass mostly with Water sometimes. Don't really go for Fire much these days.

Mostly design I think, maybe also a bit nostalgia. For example, when I was a kid and played Ruby I picked Mudkip and I really liked it and its evolutions back then, that's why I also picked Mudkip in OR

haha yeah I think I can say I choose because of the desing basically

I added a new option: choose an EEVEE!!!
would you choose it??

I go by design strictly. I like all three starting types, so that doesn't bother me. I also go by the final evolutionary form design, as that is the form I'll be using the longest, especially when you transfer the Pokemon forward to newer games.
In the past I'd also go by what type the first gym was, but since Gen III that hasn't been such a big issue.

I wouldn't choose Eevee as I already have all of its evolutions. And maybe it's just me, but I've really thought of Eevee as a starter Pokemon. You see it in fanfics a lot and it's a bit...eh.

It's always been design, with a tendency of the cutesy-looking mons (Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Torchic, Piplup, Oshawott, etc). But not Chespin-Quilladin, and Chesnaught slightly less, just looks too ugly.

Always design, especially now that we have improved 3D animated graphics. :)

Like others I tend to favor the design, at least when I play the game for the first time. I also take type into consideration, especially when doing another playthrough. Usefulness is generally what I find to be more appealing in the end, which is why I have a tendency of choosing certain starters over others in replays.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom