• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what do you care when you choose your starter?

what do you care when you choose your starter?

• design

Votes: 85 73.9%
  • region

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • type (water, grass, fire)

Votes: 44 38.3%
  • first gym in the gameplay

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • other

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • I'd like other pokemon type (like electric or normal)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I choose an eevee

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
My starter choices are generally the ones which I like the most. In each generation so far, there are two starter evolutionary stages which appeal to me more than the others, such as Ivysaur and Charizard of the Kanto starters, Cyndaquil and Totodile of the Johto starters, and so on.

How much I like each member of an evolutionary line directly influences how likely I am to choose a starter. Swampert is one of my two favourite Hoenn starter stages, and I like all members of its line to different degrees, which means I'm most likely to choose Mudkip as my Hoenn starter. I like Treecko just as much as Swampert, and I don't mind Sceptile either (Mega Sceptile is awesome, by the way), but I'm not as much of a fan of Grovyle, so therefore Treecko would be my second choice.

In some cases, I may like two stages of one starter family and only one of another, but that single stage by itself is so fantastic that it trumps the other starter line entirely. For example, Chesnaught is one of my two favourite stages of the Kalos starters (the other one being Greninja), but I'm not too fond of either Chespin or Quilladin. I like both Fennekin and Braixen, but not Delphox. The fact that Chesnaught is a favourite of mine, however, means that I'm more likely to pick Chespin than Fennekin.

Last edited:
Design is a big one for me. My favorites are Charmander, Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Turtwig, Oshawott, and Chespin. Each of them appeals to me aesthetically.

However, I am getting pretty bored with water types. Not really sure why, but every time since Oshawott I've tried using a water starter I just give up on them. Even Totodile (close second to Cyndaquil).

I think part of it is the HM problem. I don't use HM slaves on my party so they get divided amongst the team. The water starters end up with the dull water HMs and I get tired of it.

I'm really looking forward to Coconut Owl and Bomb Cat in SuMo because their designs and lack of water typing really appeal to me.

Mainly for me it has to do with the 1st gym in the game or how the starter looks

Generally the type in the first two gyms. Though for Gen 5 and 6, it's more random.

It's a toss up between considering the first gym in the game and going by which design appeals to me most. If both are satisfactory, then I choose that pokemon no matter how many replays I'd do. For instance, I always chose Piplup for both design and its usefulness against the first gym. For Hoenn, I like Torchic's design best, but I chose Treecko for the first gym. In the case of Johto, I always go by Cyndaquil because of its design and advantage for the 2nd gym. (1st gym is Flying) Kalos, though, I chose Froakie despite the first gym being Bug (which Fennekin may have had an easier time winning)

Design for me. If it's visually appealing for me, that makes me want to choose it. Types are a minor factor in it all.

Though I wouldn't mind being able to choose a Pokemon that isn't of the Fire, Water, or Grass types as my starter too.

Only design, I never really check what's gonna be useful during the game or anything of the sorts. Like for in-game teams as long as I like the pokémon I wouldn't mind using even a monotype team.

For me....is it a Grass Starter? Does it look cool/cute/quirky? Okay. I choose it.

Design plays a part, and secondary typing upon evolution/potential movepools. I always try to build a balanced team though, so weakness to the first gym or some other obstacle isn't necessarily a dealbreaker.

I also go for the starter that is best suited to the game. Pokemon like Chikorita and Snivy are difficult to use which I tend to avoid.

I choose my starter based on design, but maybe there's a sliver that matters on the typing.

To give some perspective, my starters were Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko, Turtwig, Tepig and Chespin. I use some of the other starters in competitive, sure, but the partner I grow with is almost always grass and never water. Water is probably my least favorite type, so I have a feeling that would be why none of the water starters jump out at me.

Just as I had suspected, design and typing are the dominant responses. Both of which I voted for myself as well...but by now it's usually because of tradition. In my early years of the game, I'd usually find myself choosing the grass starter. Safe to say that's still my go-to option today.

Something I forgot to mention in my previous post is that my favourite starter evolutionary families seem to follow some sort of pattern.

In regional order, my favourite starter lines are Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Turtwig, Tepig, Froakie and (at this stage) Rowlet; similarly, my second favourite starter lines are Charmander, Totodile, Treecko, Chimchar, Oshawott, Chespin and (most likely) Litten.

Do you see the pattern? They all follow a strict Grass > Fire > Water cycle. If Litten's final evolution is anywhere near as awesome as I imagine it to be...

Usually I'll always go with Water type. If I really don't like the 3rd evolution of the Water type though, I'll pick something else (would probably be the Rowlett for Sun and Moon)

Being a collector, i choose all three. I choose to get both games in a pair, so i can trade between the two and confirm their legitimacy. Ill then play one version with all the starters and three others from the same gen. Then the second game, ill choose an entirely different team. Depending on how much i enjoy the game, i may Nuzlocke it.

Having said that, i tend to prefer the grass type, because its green.

Depends on the difficulty I want to play a game in. Each game has a starter that makes the game easier when you pick it and one that makes it harder.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom