• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what do you care when you choose your starter?

what do you care when you choose your starter?

• design

Votes: 85 73.9%
  • region

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • type (water, grass, fire)

Votes: 44 38.3%
  • first gym in the gameplay

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • other

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • I'd like other pokemon type (like electric or normal)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I choose an eevee

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
My starter choice depends on how i want the other member of the team be. Like in HG/SS, if i decided to take in Arcanine as my main team i wouldn't pick Cyndaquil because i don't necessary need two Fire type in my team. And yes, i make my team first before playing the games. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I like the design and also the typing (if it shares a type with another Pokemon I want on my team I probably won't use it)

I go with the most gyms that they have a type advantage on early on. That is why I choose Bulbasaur because its Grass typing gives it an advantage over the first 3 gyms and the Poison typing gives it an advantage in Erika's gym.

Design.

I don't care about anything else.

Even if there's a typing conflict in my team. Although that's only happened once before in Pokemon X when I wanted to use both Delphox and Malamar. (and I did because Malamar was my favourite Kalos Pokemon)

and even if I had decided to go with my second starter pick instead (Greninja) it would have still conflicted with Malamar anyway.

do you follow any personal or competitive rule to choose your pokemon starter??
choose the options that you think about when you start your game play and pick your first pokemon!

I go with design first, if I had never played that region before. (Case with Fennekin, Snivy, Piplup, and Popplio)

If I have, i'll go with my 2nd choice for a starter. (Case with Tepig, Oshawott [died early in a nuzlocke, so i never really used it], Chespin [same as Oshawott] and Chimchar)

In rare cases I've used it before when i just trying out pokemon and wanted to actually use it in a game (Case with Cyndaquil, Mudkip, and Charmander)

Last edited:
My choice mostly depends on design, and I always try for it to be a fire type, and I aboid water types. I mostly see the final evo because it's the one I have to use the most. (Sometimes I may everstone it if none other of them are too good...
My favourable starters per generation:
1st Gen: Charizard
2nd Gen: Typhlosion
3rd Gen: Sceptile
4th Gen: Infernape
5th Gen: Serperior
6th Gen: Greninja
7th Gen (Unclear, I'm waiting for Final Evo. For the exact result): Litten, Popplio

I used to choose based on type (Grass), but then Braixen came out in Generation VI and I threw that all out the window when it became my favorite Pokemon of all time. Similarly, the upcoming Gen VII has me leaning towards Popplio because of its rumored final evolution that I've absolutely fallen in love with. (Which I'm about 95% sure is real) So now, it's based on design like most people.

Type =D and final stats.
Design matters a little bit

Last edited:
-secondary type(at start or in evolution),
-movesets (for strategies)
-secondary and third ability
- megaevolutions(especially if they get all two in future like Charizard did)

Usually, it's because of design (I mean, by the end of the game it'll be top evolved and high level, so it has to have a tie breaker), though I noticed I tend to pick more fire types than any other

Starting from Gen V, I've only cared about the last stage's design (and final typing). But before that, I based my choice on how unpopular the starter is among my group of friends.

As many of you, I care mainly in design, specially the design of the final form. In Red/Blue I went to Charmader because I liked Fire and liked the species, but in later games I can choose any type. However, I see that most of the times, the Fire Pokémon ends up being the one with the best design.

I use most of the starters of the games besides Chikorita line and Snivy line. Those two are no good to use in the story.

Mostly I pick the one who has the coolest looking final form. If that information is unavailable to me (this happened for Y), I just pick one and pray. Luckily in Y I lucked out and ended up with the epicness that is Chesnaught. This philosophy has me terrified for SM since those rumoured final evos all look awful to me. The only one I can remotely stand is Rowlet's. Even then I'm not confident I'll be able to put up with it for half a game.

Very rarely though, if something has come up that has utterly personally intertwined my fate with that of a specific starter Pokemon (To this day that has happened ONCE), I will choose them disregarding all other possible factors.

This philosophy has me terrified for SM since those rumoured final evos all look awful to me. The only one I can remotely stand is Rowlet's. Even then I'm not confident I'll be able to put up with it for half a game.
These are EXACTLY my thoughts. I really, really hope those aren't their final evos, but it's more likely than not.

strategy, moves, types, dual typing , all, I like most of past generation starters.

I'm mostly partial to fire starters, but sometimes they don't appeal me, so I go for some other type. For example, for the last two generations, I chose Snivy, and Froakie, since Inlikes their final evos more than Emboar and Delphox. I also like Sceptile over Blaziness.
I don't care for strategies, but I do have a soft spot for glass cannons. Since none of the trio of Gen VII was the glass cannon, I made a compromise with the Tanky Incineroar. I've grown to using tanky Pokemon now and then becuase of Incineroar. Thanks Kitty!

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom