• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you do for a living?

Dorothy

My love is stronger than my fear of death
Reaction score
Alternatively: What's your job? I'm a paralegal in the legal department of a security company.

I was unfortunately laid off from my job back in April 2020 due to the pandemic, but until then I was an administrative assistant in the school of social work at a local university for four years. I honestly really liked that job, so I've been looking for a similar position elsewhere ever since things started opening up again, although sadly I haven't been successful. Makes me think I should just give up and start looking into different jobs entirely.

I was unfortunately laid off from my job back in April 2020 due to the pandemic, but until then I was an administrative assistant in the school of social work at a local university for four years. I honestly really liked that job, so I've been looking for a similar position elsewhere ever since things started opening up again, although sadly I haven't been successful. Makes me think I should just give up and start looking into different jobs entirely.
That blows :/ I quit my job back in June 2020 because at the time I worked as a teacher's assistant and didn't trust schools reopening during the pandemic. I ended up living in a camper for six months while I studied to get my paralegal certification and get a job in law, and I only ended up breaking into the field because I got a job for a while with an old professor from college.

I work in an office doing data entry. I was originally going for receptionist, but I'll take this. I'll take this a hundred times because I don't do much interaction with people and get to listen to my music a lot. lol

Overall, I'm just so happy to have finally gotten such a job. I needed a desk job because of my chronic pain. Trust me, I couldn't be any happier to be making money without hurting. I associated working with unbearable pain for so long I forgot I could make money without it.

I'm currently employed as a mailman, sort of as an inbetween job while I'm looking for a job that connects to the field that I graduated in. It's not ideal since it doesn't pay very well, it can be quite stressful at times (especially the busier days; and I don't think I'll ever get used to working under time pressure) and I am wholly dependant on the weather and my phone and bike (which I both need for this job) being in a good state.

But on the flipside it allows me to be outside a lot and I get a lot of excercise. Plus I only do it 3 days a week, so that's not too bad.

Currently a full time student. The plan is to stay to get financial aid as long as possible by getting multiple degrees - and when that dries up then going ahead and getting a job and hope that the job scene is no longer as bad as it is now in three years.

In short and very broad terms, a lobbyist for a financial services firm - but I don't actually deal that much with politicians these days. I monitor politics and the media, help formulate our own policy positions, and carry out reputational risk assessment to make sure we don't put our foot in it (in UK terms, that's trying not to do 'a P&O').

Also currently a full-time student, for about another month or so when I finish my final year. I have a part-time job lined up starting in the early summer working as front of house staff for my cousin's newly opened restaurant, and I plan to begin volunteering in SEN schools and for various related charities to gain some experience before I start pursuing my career proper; I'd like to become a teacher in a Special Educational Needs school, or a a speech and language therapist if that somehow doesn't work out.

Currently working primarily as a consultant/contractor in the online marketing and community management space.
I was previously working as a marketing academic, however the higher education sector here in Australia was hit pretty hard by COVID and, like many early career researchers, I didn't keep my lecturing position. I still keep my toe in the door with a little online teaching (well, "a little" compared to what I used to do anyway, it's still roughly 15 hours of work a week), and trying to get the research from my PhD published, but I'm no longer actively pursuing an academic career.

I work retail, namely Costco. I'm usually Member Service, which is by the entrance and exit doors, either checking receipts or counting the number of members who are coming in every half hour or I'm on the Front End as a Cashier Assistant, loading and unloading the carts for purchases. It's not glamorous, but I make a decent amount of money, so I can't complain.

I am a part-time work-from-home proofreader and translator (Greek to English) for a firm that helps Greek self-help authors self-publish their books. All the work is on deadline, so the hours are super flexible.

I work in a hearing-aid industry, and I take care of the packaging we receive, I do the picking for the items, and due to some vacations and sick leaves, I'm mostly at the packaging part of the process, which is the last step. I'm good at pointing out potential mistakes or a problem with the order itself, so they love having me there. Main downside is having to stay upright for a long period of time, but at least it keeps me in shape.

Please note: The thread is from 6 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom