1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do to make friends?

Discussion in 'Outside the Box' started by CherubCookie, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack I will burn my dread!

Blog Posts:
    I don't act on any desire to get to know people, since I'm convinced that I'm stupid and bla bla bla. Not a good habit to get into, or maybe it is for someone whose low self-esteem becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. All of my friendships come from people initiating interactions with me.

2. Harryghost

Harryghost The guide to the other world

Blog Posts:
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't know. I just talk to people if I think they can be genuine friends of mine. Though, I usually take my time before I approach new people for friendship and try and learn some more about their nature, before their names are eventually imprinted onto my list of friends.

3. Lone_Garurumon

Lone_Garurumon The Alluring, Soulful Dancer

Blog Posts:
    In real life, I tend to somehow make some kind of connection with one particular person (I often have no idea how it happens), and kinda just insert myself into their circle of friends, since, if I connect with one of them, odds are I'll be able to connect with the others to some degree.
    People who know me well irl are even kinda surprised when I'm around new people. Since I'm super loud and talkative with people I'm comfortable with, but I tend to get super closed up and actually kinda shy around new people.

In online settings like this it's super different and easier though. Since with real people, you often just kinda bump into them and have no idea where to even start talking to them, but in places like this, we're all here because of one common trait about us, we all love Pokemon. That makes a nice starting point for any kind of conversation, and it helps cut out the whole awkward "I know literally nothing about this person" phase. Plus, on a forum setting like this, it rarely feels like you're just talking to one person, so that takes a lot of the pressure off. You're able to scope out individuals, and just chat with them about Pokemon, maybe veering into other subjects and learn that you're actually pretty similar to this person. And this clearly works, since there's several people I met here who I'd be happy to call friends.

4. Clip Clop

Clip Clop Elite Trainer

Blog Posts:
    Ha, friends. I can't think of any. I'm really bad at voluntary interactions with strangers. Once, I was in school. Forestry 101. The professor gave the dreaded call, "break up into groups," god damn. So I sort of looked intensely around the room at people. Some of them I liked the appearance of, some intimidated me, and I looked around my seat as people broke into their peers' groups.

Then there was just me. And the one other girl in the room who did what I did. She sort of refused all eye contact, didn't speak unless spoken to, and was a huge, awkward drag. So she became my partner. I realized I was the male version of her, which horrified me. I felt like a defective monster, frowning at those around me. See, the professor said "get into groups," but what everyone heard was "find some friends." It's inappropriate to find friends you find attractive...

5. ashcat

ashcat the ash-coloured cat

Blog Posts:
    i dont have any friends, normal people look down on people like me

once a lone wolf, always a lone wolf

6. Lupus Dei

Lupus Dei Virizion McVirizionface

Blog Posts:
    I don't really go looking for new friends, it just sorta happens on its own. I've never been the type of person to go and talk to new people. I prefer for them to come and talk to me first. Feel less awkward to me that way.
    I'm the same both offline and online.

7. Inlé

Inlé Devourer of Falsehoods

Blog Posts:
    I wait for people to talk to me, unless circumstances compel me to initiate conversation which is rare because even around friends I don't talk much. First impressions are important, but for some reason I can't keep a neutral expression or smile and end up scowling or probably making weird faces when I'm in public. And both online and offline I'm terrified of criticism, so that's probably why I don't say much. My best friend is like the complete opposite of me as far as talking goes, though he says he'd rather not have a lot of friends which kind of confounds me. I'd like to say if I could speak without reacting to criticism like I do I'd be talking to everyone I wanted to and I'd be a much more well-rounded individual.