• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you do with your starter?

What do you do with your starter?

• Use it the whole game!

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • Use it until I find something else.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Box it forever as soon as possible.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Trade it to another game to get something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Keep it on my team because they usually end up being the strongest, and I use them a lot that they are sometimes overlevelled, even though I try to balance my team.

For the first playthrough, I keep it on my team. If it's a second play (or the third version/sequel), I'll usually box it and use something else. Bulbasaur is an exception; if he's on my team, he stays on my team.

I always keep my starter and use it throughout the whole game. I've only gotten rid of my starter once on a SS replay. Aside from one instance, my starter is always my team leader (not necessarily in the front, it's more emotionally).

I always keep my starter unless it's completely useless ( Serperior.....) and it's always 10 levels higher than my other Pokes.

It depends. If it proves useful to me, I leave it in the party. However, it goes to the box if the opposite applies

I, for one, ALWAYS keep my starters in my team, no matter how good or bad they are. I can't stand people who just ditch their starters.

IT'S YOUR FIRST POKEMON, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!

And I happen to LIKE my Serperior, for your information.

I usually overlevel it to the point that is about 5-10 levels higher than the rest of my team, thus causing a leveling feedback loop. Then in the postgame it becomes a HM-slave (if its a water type). Then after I realize Smogon says my starter is NU or RU, but since it was my first poke (in the game, that is) I usually never box it, (and because I it need it for surf, waterfall, and dive :/)

I, for one, ALWAYS keep my starters in my team, no matter how good or bad they are. I can't stand people who just ditch their starters.

Well, I used a Serperior in White and White2 but it SUCKS and it just NEVER pulled it off. I tried using it as a dual screener with light clay and I just set up one then die. Then I try an offensive set and STILL NEVER WORKS. In my opinion Serperior is worse than Meganium.

First Pokemon? For your information, what I call first Pokemon is your BEST Pokemon not your starter but other people it's different so they call their starters the first Pokemon. I usually mark my "first" Pokemon with the first symbol thing and that is my FIRST Pokemon. I had a Samurott then I got a Gastrodon that knows recover and I'm like screw it I'll just get Heracross back on the team to use Megahorn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always keep my starter on my team, no matter how poor their stats may be. I just work with them and give them movesets to work through their weak areas; in fact my Meganium and Serperior were almost never defeated. I strive to keep all of my Pokemon at the same level so my starter is never higher than any others. In fact, as my team grows, it tends be be used less and less often. Sometimes it ends up being at the lowest level at some points in the game, but it always works it's way up eventually.

Well, I used a Serperior in White and White2 but it SUCKS and it just NEVER pulled it off. I tried using it as a dual screener with light clay and I just set up one then die. Then I try an offensive set and STILL NEVER WORKS. In my opinion Serperior is worse than Meganium.
Serperior is a tricky one to get good mileage out of. High speed NOT matched by high attack power but instead high Defense. Protect + Leech Seed + Big Root + Giga Drain (add in a few Growths for good measure) ultimately got me some serious mileage.

Serperior is the more defensive starter in Gen V. You just need to know how to use it!

Mine knows: Coil, Leaf Blade, Leach Seed, Giga Drain.

It beat the crap out of all of Marshall's pokemon.

Serperior is the more defensive starter in Gen V. You just need to know how to use it!

Mine knows: Coil, Leaf Blade, Leach Seed, Giga Drain.

It beat the crap out of all of Marshall's pokemon.

Yeah I know it's defensive and I also beat the crap out of Marshall's Pokemon by setting up against troh. I'm just saying that Team Plasma has like all poison types so serperior can't do much.

Just about every villainous team has specialized in the Poison/Dark types. So yeah, pack in a few Kebia berries if you have them, then Leech Seed and swap out for a Poison killer.

I keep my starter in my main game. Post game, however, I sometimes train something else, though I sometimes have him/her in the team at times.

Actually traded away my starter in Black just so I can get a 'mon to help with my dex. T_T I hope my Samurott is doing well with his new trainer. With Black 2 getting more playtime than Black 1, I wonder if I should start anew there... Oh well. Still have my Serperior starter from Black 2, though. ;-)

I always use it because it's the one assured strong pokemon on your team. They're generally pretty balanced.

Just about every villainous team has specialized in the Poison/Dark types. So yeah, pack in a few Kebia berries if you have them, then Leech Seed and swap out for a Poison killer.

Yeah all of them besides Aqua/Magma...... I forgot about Team Rocket but in he anime they all use poison types besides James and his freaking Cacnea and Carnivine.....

Yeah all of them besides Aqua/Magma...
Nope, Aqua/Magma grunts both had spades of Zubats and Poochyena. The only exception I can think of is Cipher, because they generally preferred Shadow Pokemon instead.

Well they specialize in water/fire types so that's why I said that. Aqua uses Carvanha and Sharpedo and Magma uses Numel and Camerupt. And Cipher use shadow Pokemon yeah but sometimes the shadow Pokemon can be poison/dark but they do specialize in those shadow Pokemon that you can capture. I think this is going off topic because it's supposed to be about What do you do with your Starter, not Talk about Villainous Teams.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom