• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters! Click here to check out the event and sign up!

What do you do with your starter?

What do you do with your starter?

• Use it the whole game!

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • Use it until I find something else.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Box it forever as soon as possible.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Trade it to another game to get something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
Usually, I keep it on my team all throughout. There's a few occassions where I will actually ditch my starter, but it's rare.

The funny thing is, I never realised how weird that is for me, since I don't like reusing Pokemon all that much, yet I'm willing to reuse a starter over and over again. It's probably because starters are pretty unique and special, and also tend to be really good team members, never noticed it before though.

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I always have my starter in my team until I have beaten league. After that, it depends. In pearl, my starter hardly reached level 40 while in heartgold I got him up to the high 80's. I did find that Unova starters fairly boring and replace-easy though.

Reaction score
Re: What do you do wih your starter?

I always keep my starters through the whole game. I become to attached to them by the time I can get another pokemon, and just end up using it through the elite 4.

Reaction score
I level it up like crazy and then beat the whole elite 4 + champion with only one pokemon. I probably should try to use other pokes aswell, but I really don't feel like spending my time on grinding other ones.

eva

Reaction score
Made them into HM slave.
Samurott with cut, strength, waterfall and surf/dive on white2. Yum.

Serperior with Flash, Strength, Cut on white

Stoopendous
Reaction score
How could you be so cruel to your starter? You disgust me, I'm leaving! Samurott, cut that tree down, push that boulder out of the way, and Surf me out of here!

A Broken Pokeball
Reaction score
I usually box it away and use its nature and IVs later for breeding if they're good. I use the games' main stories to level up and train competitive teams, so I always trade over six prepared eggs and hatch them and then EV train them.
I don't actually use the starter Pokemon I receive, but I do use its DNA and its children.

七パーセント
Reaction score
Re: What do you do wih your starter?

There have been some gems like Blaziken, Swampert, Empoleon etc., that I have found extremely useful. If they are going to work for me in competitive play later on, then I will use them all the way in my teams. If I know they are not going to be useful later on (like the Unova starters) I will replace them with an alternative.

Take a Bite.
Reaction score
ALWAYS keep my starter but once Torchic was annoying me in Emerald so I tried to release it, It wouldn't go though and made me feel bad ;_;​

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
I'll train them to level 100 and then keep them at the front of my party.

Of course, I train my whole team to level 100, so jury's out on whether that's significant or not.

However, I will ALWAYS use my Starter on my team.

Formerly known as Tsu
Reaction score
I always keep my starters, I can't just box them. My very first Pokémon always sticks with me. ^^

An Enemy Stand User(?)
Reaction score
I always keep them, I never let them get stronger than the rest of the team nowadays though. I try to keep that stuff balanced. If I box them, it's never for long. attachment, lol.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I always keep my starters, though I occasionally box them so I can train my other ones. It doesn't stay there for a long time of course. There's always going to be something special about the first one for me.

dunno y u gotta pain 2nyt
Reaction score
I always keep my starter. I don't feel right if I box him/her.

Reaction score
I raise the starter and another Pokémon to level 100 at the same time.

Reaction score
I used to use my starter as my main, but in the most recent games I use another pokemon. For example, I used the event Jirachi with Draco Meteor in SS instead of my starter. Same with Black, but I trained a Lillipup instead and counted it as my starter. I've already decided that in X I'm taking Cleffa as a starter if I can transfer from B2 before becoming champion.

Back From The Grave
Reaction score
I always use my starter and I make sure that it's the strongest member on my team. Sometimes I experiment with starters that I wouldn't normally pick to see how they do in battle since I tend to go for the water starter most of the time. Usually if I get the third version of the same I'll pick the fire starter but I've experimented with Snivy in Gen 5 and I love Serperior.

Reaction score
I generally replace my starter with another Pokémon. For example, I replaced my Swampert with Milotic because Milotic was a lot more useful in Battle Frontier. It was somewhat a waste of experience until Route 119, though.

I gotta focus. I'm shifting into pokemon mode.
Reaction score
I keep them on as a permanent member of my team. I usually over level them by five levels and use them as backup in a pinch.

I was one of those kids that thought you couldn't box your starter, so I just kept using it and five other pokemon no matter what. It just sort of stuck even after I found out you could box them.