• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you do with your starter?

What do you do with your starter?

• Use it the whole game!

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • Use it until I find something else.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Box it forever as soon as possible.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Trade it to another game to get something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

L.L.

Lord of the Whales
Reaction score
We all start our adventure picking one of three types: grass, water, or fire. We pick one, and stick with it until we get more. But what then? Do you keep it on your team? Do you box it away forever? Do you raise it to rediculous levels as your sole team member?

I for one, always use my starter, despite how bad they may be (I'm looking at you serperior.) I put it on a team with 3-5 others of various types, which all eventually get migrated to another generation. If they're good enough, I'll use them in online battles.

Re: What do you do wih your starter?

Typically, I'd keep my starter Pokemon for my team if their typing is useful (so, usually, I don't use the pure type starters), and/or if I haven't used them on a team before.
I've used all the starters before, so nowadays I'm boxing most of them. I like to have 12 of the 17 types on my team, so a lot of the starters are useless to me, and I replace with better Fire/Water/Grass dual-types.

I keep it on my team and try to ensure it's always the highest-levelled member. I know this does occasionally put you at a disadvantage, but it's the same as NPC's: This is the mainstay of your party, the creature you are most known for, your strongest weapon in Pokemon battles.

And yes, having Snivy as my starter in BW1 was definitely a challenge in spots. I'll never forget taking out Clay's Excadrill (or Skyla's Swanna) with Servine, or how long Serperior was able to stall Ghetsis's Hydreigon (Protect+Leech Seed, I love you) and soften him up for Mienfoo to take out.

I keep it on my team. As a kid, I would only level up the starter, but now I know better and don't do that cause it's gives an unfair disadvantage and makes the game way too easy. I still keep it in my team nowadays and for some reason I like having it as the highest level Pokemon on my team, but it's never more than 2 levels higher than the other Pokemon. But I basically train it at the same pace as my other Pokemon. I like having the starter on my team. It's the first Pokemon you receive in the game and I feel I must keep in on my team and plus I get too attached to it too want to leave it in a box forever.

I always use my starter. I never over-level it dramatically. In fact, sometimes it falls behind the others. But I wouldn't box it. It's a party member just like the others.

I usually keep it on my team until after I complete the main story (at least). In White I boxed my Serpeior soon after she evolved from a servine. I forgot who I replaced her with.

I keep him. It'll always be 3 levels above the rest of the team. That's if the starter isn't Chikorita or Tepig, who I dislike.

I have used my starter in every game but in my first Black 1 playthrough my samurott was very underleveled compared to my other pokemon. Which is weird for me because usually my starters are either the same level or higher than my other pokemon in my party.

Use it forevermore no matter what. Usually keep them at a slightly higher level than the others, too, to reflect that I got them first.

I always use my starter, in any of the games. It wouldn't feel right if I didn't. It' been there from the beginning, and I can't imagine doing that, because even though they are just pixels and code, it wouldn't feel right if they weren't with me on the main adventure.

I do admit that I considered dropping my starter in Black 2, but I decided not to for the reasons above. My starter is usually my highest leveled pokemon, but also in Black 2, Excadrill was my highest leveled by far, which represented me not wanting to use my starter very much, or at least that's what I think.

I always keep my starter in my party, unless I need to put together a team for a gym. I try to keep it as the top-leveled or close to there.

I used to always use my starter until Gen V. I boxed Tepig in favor of Growlithe because i didn't like Emboar's defensive stats and I got tired of using Fire/Fighting starters. (I did use Snivy on my first playthrough though)

I never box it unless I need to withraw a HM-slave and have a full party. And even then I tend to temporalily box some of the others instead.

I always keep my starters throughout the whole journey. A lot of times, I name them after another character (I named my Snivy "Excalibur" after the character in Soul Eater. And in Pokemon X I'm planning to name my Fennekin "Booker" because I'll be naming my character "Elizabeth").

I always keep my starter on my team. I just never liked the idea of not using my starter Pokemon. It's the Pokemon that begins the journey with me and that makes it special to me. There are times where it's rather difficult to use it because of how it is in battle, like with Serperior in White, but I wouldn't box it because of cases like that. I'd just try to work with it the best that I can and have other members of my team to help cover its weaknesses as well.

Well, if I like the starter, I certainly keep the Pokémon in my team for the whole game (but not necessarily as the main member of the team), if I don't, I drop it on the box and never look at the thing again. I am sorry, but I don't see any logic in using a Pokémon I don't like just because it was the first Pokémon I got in the game. They aren't special or better than regular Pokémon in any way, actually quite a few times they are worse than other Pokémon you find in the wild relatively early in the games.

In Generation V games I always used regular Pokémon as "starters" because the starter trio wasn't really good for my tastes. In Generation II, I used Typhlosion, it isn't that bad, but it was mostly because there aren't many good Pokémon in Johto to use as a substitute... In HGSS I asked for a person to trade a Larvitar so I could use it as the starter, lol. So, the starters I have kept in my team and absolutely loved using them were Venusaur, Sceptile, Blaziken, Infernape, Empoleon and Torterra. I really love them. Hopefully Chespin and Froakie are gonna have awesome evolutions because I really want one or both of them in my team.

Usually, I choose it, nickname it, train it and coddle it and I grow so attached I never want it off my team. Though for solo runs I quickly box it without nicknaming so I can focus on my other Pokémon.

I always keep him with me throughout the entire game. ALWAYS! Not once have I abandoned my starter. It just wouldn't feel right if I didn't start and finish the game with my starter. However, when I complete the game I often start using other Pokemon.

I always use my starter, in any of the games. It wouldn't feel right if I didn't. It' been there from the beginning, and I can't imagine doing that, because even though they are just pixels and code, it wouldn't feel right if they weren't with me on the main adventure.

I don't like to box ANY of the Pokemon in my team, let alone my starter even though, as you said, they are just bits of code.

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom