• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What do you like about LGPE?

Honestly, one thing I adore about these games is just how much personality each Pokemon has.

I honestly think that, in recent years, Pokemon have had a surplus of charm but a deficit of personality. I remember back in the day when Venusaur's eyes would get bloodshot when it would take a hit, or Electrode's would bulge out when it fainted, or Blastoise would wipe lint off its shoulders, or Togepi would run back to its trainer when it fainted. All of that, I feel, has been lacking since ~Pokemon Colosseum era. It's nice to see that kind of thing come back in some way. I love the way that LGPE's Magnemite model has it come out glaring at the opponent or how Kadabra is floating about in the overworld. To say nothing of Partner Pikachu/Eevee who just vomit personality. I want to see more of that for all the recent Pokemon.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how much in these games is really good. There's a lot of risk taking and innovation they've baked in there which is super fun. Among the things I hope are kept and carried forward to every future game:
  • Pokemon in the overworld. This makes everything about traversing the game SO much less tedious! Especially in caves. Plus, it makes shiny hunting way more fun. I had the best experience yesterday chasing down a random shiny Pidgey which appeared in Viridian Forest, dodging past other Pokemon on the way.
  • The new catching mechanics. This is a controversial one, but I was really surprised about just how much I love chucking Pokeballs at the screen. Especially with that Pokeball controller! (I got it in a bundle with my Switch console, don't judge me.)
  • The buckets of personality all the Pokemon in these games seem to have! It's not just the starters either; the Pokemon which follow you are also heaps of fun to interact with. It makes your team feel so real and alive.
  • Pokemon following the trainer! If this doesn't return in every future Pokemon game ever, I will cry bitter, salty tears.
  • Chaining for high IV Pokemon and the judge feature to check which Pokemon have 31IV stats at a glance.
  • EV's built up through a means other than battling. It means the Pokemon you use to play through the main game are not a write-off competitively and can be properly trained right from the beginning of the game.
Obviously, I'd like many of the core Pokemon elements bought back. It was very disappointing that breeding was omitted; breeding, combined with chaining for high IV's, it'll make building a competitive team way less tedious. (Personally, I don't buy into the reaction many 'serious' games have regarding that. A reduction of tedium does not equal casualisation. A reduction of tedium indicates good game design and certainly doesn't need to go hand in hand with a low difficulty level.) I also don't appreciate the hand-holding aspects of the game and would like a more difficult core experience which genuinely challenges me as a player.

For the record, I am not what would be considered a 'casual' - I really got into the competitive and collectors scene back in Gen IV and would like to again - but I certainly appreciate fun, well designed innovations when they spring up. Let's Go has those in spades.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how much in these games is really good. There's a lot of risk taking and innovation they've baked in there which is super fun. Among the things I hope are kept and carried forward to every future game:
  • Pokemon in the overworld. This makes everything about traversing the game SO much less tedious! Especially in caves. Plus, it makes shiny hunting way more fun. I had the best experience yesterday chasing down a random shiny Pidgey which appeared in Viridian Forest, dodging past other Pokemon on the way.
  • The new catching mechanics. This is a controversial one, but I was really surprised about just how much I love chucking Pokeballs at the screen. Especially with that Pokeball controller! (I got it in a bundle with my Switch console, don't judge me.)
  • The buckets of personality all the Pokemon in these games seem to have! It's not just the starters either; the Pokemon which follow you are also heaps of fun to interact with. It makes your team feel so real and alive.
  • Pokemon following the trainer! If this doesn't return in every future Pokemon game ever, I will cry bitter, salty tears.
  • Chaining for high IV Pokemon and the judge feature to check which Pokemon have 31IV stats at a glance.
  • EV's built up through a means other than battling. It means the Pokemon you use to play through the main game are not a write-off competitively and can be properly trained right from the beginning of the game.
Obviously, I'd like many of the core Pokemon elements bought back. It was very disappointing that breeding was omitted; breeding, combined with chaining for high IV's, it'll make building a competitive team way less tedious. (Personally, I don't buy into the reaction many 'serious' games have regarding that. A reduction of tedium does not equal casualisation. A reduction of tedium indicates good game design and certainly doesn't need to go hand in hand with a low difficulty level.) I also don't appreciate the hand-holding aspects of the game and would like a more difficult core experience which genuinely challenges me as a player.

For the record, I am not what would be considered a 'casual' - I really got into the competitive and collectors scene back in Gen IV and would like to again - but I certainly appreciate fun, well designed innovations when they spring up. Let's Go has those in spades.
Honestly, a lot could be done to help create a competitive team with the features introduced in this game alone. They just need some minor tweaking.

-Madam Celadon allows you to catch Pokemon in the wild with the appropriate Natures.

-The bottlecaps make a comeback from USUM, so you don't even need to chain for high IV Pokemon.They should remove the level 100 requirement tho. And they should not make it a pseudo buff, but a real one. I'm still unsure if bottlecap boosts are going to be transferable to Gen VIII, but I hope they are. If they do this, IV's are gonna be hella easy to max out, which is great.

-The new EV system not being dependent on battling is A+++ but I do wish they could come up with a less tedious way to obtain candy.

-Who needs breeding when you can get Egg Moves from the Move Relearner? Along with the aforementioned quality of life features, breeding has effectively become obsolete. Though they should still keep it for the sake of flavor.

-Starters having perfect IV's in every stat and gift/legendary Pokemon having a minimum of two max IV's means that they, too, are easy to farm for good, competitive Pokes. Honestly, they should give all Starters perfect IV's moving forward (and fuck it, retroactively as well.)

With all these options in place, getting a competitive team ready to go is just a walk in the park.

The only hiccup with the IV system moving forward would be Hidden Power, but honestly, they shouldn't keep that as IV dependent. If it were up to me, all Pokemon would start with Hidden Power Dark and then, by talking to the person who gives you the TM, you should be allowed to switch the HP type at will.

The partner Pokemon as a character is super cute. I love how they will have their moments where they react to things in the environments or events that just occurred. And I love being able to customize them.
Riding Pokemon that are large enough is great.
I liked that Blue was a major part of the story.
Being able to catch Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charmader in addition to getting them as gifts is really nice.
Minor thing but I like how the Pikachu/Eevee that shows up on the title screen is your Pikachu/Eevee with the customizations and all.

-There was much more that I liked than disliked~ I enjoyed Pokemon following animations being unique (Sandslash rolling in a ball, riding some Pokemon, Caterpie being slow as sht, etc.) They just in general have a lot of personality, which is great~

-I really liked a lot of the cutscenes. The characters are much more expressive than USUM which is nice to see. Rival especially is a cutie and Blue's signature pose was highly enjoyable~

-The game was actually a lot harder than expected (IF you don't grind). I thought as a whole that it would be a rather easy playthrough, but unless you're overleved, the game offers a decent challenge~ It was nice to see they retained some of Gen I's unavoidable difficulty like characters not really telling you where to go all the time, the abomination that is Silph Co., etc.

-I liked also that the game also retains the ability to fight most of the middle Gym Leaders in a non-specific order. You can completely skip Erika and beat both Sabrina and Koga without fighting her (I would imagine Blaine as well since you get Surf from Fuchsia). The thing that I don't like regarding that however is some missing consistency with Jessie and James as they can be talking about helping taking over Silph Co. after you clear the Hideout, yet you can skip that and go directly to Fuchsia and they'll still be on the outskirts to give you the Golden Teeth, wherein you can then go back to Saffron and they'll still be outside Silph Co. HQ trying to be apart of the takeover as if they're coming straight from the Game Corner and didn't just take a massive detour to Fuchsia. I wish there would have been a little more consistency with them considering how out of order you can go but that's fairly minor as I imagine most people just go in order at least up until Erika.

-To piggyback off of the last point, I did like that Mr. Fuji will show up to give you the tips on how to catch Snorlax regardless of which you choose to wake up first. I was actually impressed they did have that in mind when making that little cutscene

-Pikachu and Eevee as HM Slaves without needing a moveslot for it was nice and preferable to the system in USUM (IMO). I like that it's my partner Pokemon and not some random Tauros, Stoutland, or Charizard that I have to call. I'm someone who has never been all that bothered by HMs but if they allow it to be the Starter that functions as handling overworld obstacles, then I think that's pretty nice.

There's probably more things that I'll think of as I'm going through LGP (I already beat LGE up to the League, not done any post-game yet)~

1. Following Pokémon. Hopefully this is a permanent feature going into gen 8 since Gamefreak made animations for every Pokémon up until this point.
2. Seeing Pokémon in the overworld. It really makes the world seem more alive this way.
3. The music.
4. Being able to transfer your Pokémon from go. Really clever of them to turn the safari zone into a go park. I really won’t be surprised if the pal park gets turned into a go park if we get Sinnoh remakes.
5. The secret techniques, it all but confirms that HM’s are gone for good and I couldn’t be happier.

The music. Like oh my gosh the music. I will say it over and over, but it is absolutely amazing

The little things they added into the story. Like, I never played the original Kanto games to the fullest, but I'm pretty sure that Cubone did not get that much depth in the original games or the remakes. it was so sweet, and it made me cry.

The little details in the game. Like how even when booting up the game, the Pikachu/Eevee that greets you is yours. Like when I saw the opening scene with how you could see whether your partner was a boy or girl, I thought that was as far as it would go. But when I changed my hairstyle on my Pikachu and booted up the game the next day, I was so surprised to see the hair I set on her, in the main screen.

Pokemon following and riding. It is just so cute. I love running around on my Arcanine especially.

Pokemon in the overworld/no random encounters. It makes the game feel so much more engaging and real having the Pokemon in the overworld instead of just being jumped by a random one.

-The way the world looks and feels, with the Pokemon walking around in the fields (and even moving beyond the boundaries of the tall grass!) and the orchestral music.
-The hilariously terrible names of the special moves that Pikachu and Eevee can learn, especially "Baddy Bad."
-Jessie and James actually having distinctive names and personalities, instead of just being "Rocket," and having no indication of who's saying what.
-Archer actually looking menacing, and not like some contemplative sad sack like he was in HGSS.
-The scene with Marowak's ghost in Pokemon Tower.
-Green. Did the writers read Super Effective, perhaps?
-The Elite Four! Agatha's cool new stick! Lance's self-deprecating clapping when he loses! The Dragonite's doofy smile!
-Giovanni's "pad" at the Viridian City Gym.
-"Magical." That was the word I used when describing the game to friends and family. It's like I'm 13 again.

Now that I've gone and made my first post here in over 6 months on the dislike thread, I figured I should at least go and balance things out over here.

I was not initially sold on the the Let's Go games, but multiple live streams and being able to see the game played firsthand by one of my friends was enough to change my mind. Needless to say, after so many test drives, I certainly liked what I saw enough to get my own copy of Let's Go Eevee.

I absolutely love the overworld graphics, and I am very hopeful that the next Gen VIII game continues in this style. Seeing all of the Pokemon walking around and even next to the NPC trainers with much more expression than before is a huge plus.

Speaking of Pokemon wandering around: I know that this was mostly to mimic the Pokemon GO encounter system, but I really, really, want this wild Pokemon encounter method to stay. Being able to wander around and physically look for the Pokemon I wanted is infinitely preferable to having to actually enter every encounter and then wait to see if I found that stinkin' Pinsir. It also makes chaining together combos much easier. Speaking of which...

Catch combos improved upon everything I liked about SOS battles in Sun/Moon while managing to make the RNG aspect less annoying. Sure, I still had to actually look for the Pinsir, and I admittedly got mildly annoyed when more Chansey were appearing than Pinsir, but I still found it preferable to actually battling 30 Pokemon in a row while making sure to always keep one alive until a good IV/good nature/shiny/rare Pokemon appeared. Unlike SOS battles, which end as soon as both wild Pokemon are defeated, catch combos persist until you either catch a different species or any wild Pokemon runs from you (running from it doesn't break the combo), which allows for intermissions of trainer battles, going to the Pokemart to restock, or even flying to a different area altogether. Also another neat feature that I discovered: You can carry an active catch combo with you to any other area to boost the rare spawn of that area. For instance, I could combo Pidgey on route 1 and then fly over to the Rock Tunnel, where I'd see Charmander running around as if I had been chaining a combo on Geodude there. Very handy for making those rares appear.

On another note related to catch combos: The PC box as an inventory item came very much in handy for being able to check the IVs and nature of each Pokemon right after I caught it, instead of having to break the chain or use some roundabout method just to hope that I got what I wanted. Also, Madame Celadon in the Celadon City Pokecenter is a very welcome addition in a game without breeding. Also fun fact: You can pay her multiple times per day (since it resets at midnight, system time) to, for instance, get a bold Slowpoke and then a jolly Aerodactyl. Oh yeah, and did I mention that you can get the IV checker after just your 3rd badge? I could plan my story team and my competitive team at the same time, which is a huge plus from me.

Something interesting that I want to try out is that it seems like, due largely to the absence of HMs and their gym badge requirement, it may be possible to do most of the gyms out-of-order, even potentially skipping gyms entirely. Obviously you have to fight the gym leaders at some point if you actually want to become Champion, but I did manage to do a large part of the mid-game out-of-order: after defeating Team Rocket at Silph Co., I skipped on down to Fuchsia City, got Sea Skim, went through the Seafoam Islands to Cinnabar Island, flew to Saffron City, fought Sabrina for badge #6, then flew back to Fuchsia City and defeated Koga for badge #5. This made me wonder how far I could actually progress without getting any badges. If I ever do get Let's Go Pikachu, I will be very tempted to try this out.

Oh, and since I mentioned Sea Skim: It looks like HMs are gone for good, and I couldn't be happier. Secret techniques that only your Partner Pokemon can learn is also a nice touch, and adds a little personality to the functional-but-boring ride Pokemon from Sun/Moon.

I don't have a good segue to transition to this one, but follower Pokemon: They finally return, and they do not disappoint in the slightest. They did such a good job giving all sorts of little bits of flair and personality to the followers, and I really hope this is here to stay. Even better is that when certain Pokemon follow you, you actually ride on them, which is just excellent. Aside from the obvious ones like Lapras for surfing or Arcanine for riding, there are some rather hilarious ones: If you have a Snorlax out, you just cling to its belly as it waddles around the world. Also give Onix a try. Seeing the world from atop a 30' rock snake is certainly something. (I do wish there were more surfing/flying mounts, though, but I won't complain too much about that)

Moving right along to other details that I picked up on:
I liked the increased appearances of Jessie and James, along with their gratuitous use of "twerp" as an insult.
The ghosts in the Pokemon tower were very well done, IMO. (except that one of the "ghosts" turned into a Zubat when I used the Silph scope...)
Coach trainers are a nice way to challenge yourself and get rewarded (either with boosting candy or TMs), and even see the TM in action before you earn it.
The new gym designs were neat. I do like the crowds watching from the stands, but I also can't help but wonder what they do for the rest of the time when the only 2 challengers of the Pokemon League are literally anywhere else...

Okay, after being part of the initially skeptical crowd, I eventually decided to tell my grandmother that I wanted Let’s Go Eevee for Christmas, since I was getting bored and had nothing to lose. I beat Green about a week ago, so...here are some thoughts on the positive side:

1. I actually kind of liked the capture mechanics, and feel that throwing your Poke ball just right adds a fun little twist to catching wild Pokémon. With the way catching Pokémon works in the main series games, I wouldn’t be surprised if N heard some things in PokeSpeak that served to further confirm his beliefs that catching and training Pokémon is bad...

Wild Lillipup: Why the heck are you attacking me?! What did I ever do to you?!

Tepig: Sorry, but my trainer Hilda really wants to catch you!

2. Likewise, I think I prefer the roaming Pokemon in the over world which you can engage if you want to. Though I think I would’ve liked it better if various species had different behaviors, such as actively rushing up to you or running away.

3. I know a lot of people disagree, but I didn’t mind the rival Trace being a nice guy. He had quite a few surprising moments in the story, like catching the Cubone that TR stole and raising it.

4. Walking with your Pokémon out makes a welcome return too, and I liked that it raises Affection as an added bonus.

5. Madame Celadon - nuff said.

If I think of any more things I’ll edit this post.

Last edited:
I vastly prefer the new dynamic of having wild Pokémon walk around in the overworld, and of catching them without having to battle them. It's going to hurt to go back to the old way if this doesn't carry over the Gen 8. This setup, with wild Pokémon being things to catch and Trainer Pokémon being things to battle (with Legendaries (and Snorlax) as an in-between to make them feel more distinguished and challenging) just feels so much more correct in my head.

I'm quite happy that they retained the idea of Route Bosses/Coach Trainers from SM/USUM. Being able to trade for Alolan Form Pokémon is also very welcome indeed; I am delighted to have Alolan Sandslash and Muk as options.

I'm enjoying Blue's role in the story. It's kinda neat to see him do more stuff independently of Red. Also, for as minor as her role in the game is, I love Green. (Note to Game Freak: see how much more fun you can make the protagonists-as-characters when you give them even just a hint of personality?) In general, I think all of the references and continuity nods have been nice - be it Mina (although Lillie would have made more sense), Archer and the other forward-looking Johto references (actually makes me kind of excited for a Let's Go Johto game), Mega Evolution, and Lorelei helping out against Team Rocket like she did at the Sevii Islands. While I wasn't ever really put off by this game's Kanto-heavy focus, I think these kind of moments lend the game a humorous tone that ensures that it's all in good fun; the emphasis on Kanto isn't meant as any kind of ashamed or mean-spirited exclusionism.

Bluetwo getting to adopt the orphan Cubone onto his team is an A+ story revision and makes me ridicule him just a little bit less.

Giovanni is still so damn cool, and his Gym's interior design is (y)(y)(y). Speaking of Gyms, I too appreciate that they kept the general freedom of choosing what sequence to challenge them in.

Lance finally got himself a Seadra, as he frankly always should have had. I mean, it's classified as the Dragon Pokémon, dude. You don't need two Dragonair and Seadra's fucking cool.

The music has grown on me, albeit slowly. It's still a little too saccharine in some places, but the Trainer battle theme is brilliant, although I do wish that Team Rocket and Giovanni had gotten their own battle themes.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom