• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you like about Sun and Moon Anime so far?

Unbeatable HoennMon

Smarter than Smarties and Tougher than Toughies
Reaction score
For me:
1. This series is much more funny than BW and XY.
2. Ash finally reminds that one from OS (I mean personality).
3. Characters- I'm really glad Ash have 5 companions- it makes show more interesting, they're good written too, I hope their personalities will be developed.
4. TRio- It's really good thing they finally do what they should- try to capture pikachu. I'm glad to see them finally as comedy characters.
5. The most important thing- easter eggs- Mr Mime, tauros, TRio's lures , May's and Brock's wigs...I really appreciate it.
6. This series finally shows trainers' casual life- not only journeys or battles.
7. Alolan pokemon- I think they're really interesting- especially Lycanrock.
To sum up, I find this series nice so far- I hope it'll develop that way.

Last edited:
* TRio of course.

* Mimikyu is the main reason I wanted to watch this series in the first place

* Guzma.

* Acerola.

• The humor. A majority of the SM episodes have made me genuinely laugh out loud. I really like the fact that the comedy is a mix of physical and through dialogue.
  • The classmates and Professor Kukui. I really love the dynamic between these guys and Ash. It's different than the usual traveling group dynamic, which was starting to feel really stale to me. The classmates feel fresh and it's nice that they have goals and dreams outside of training Pokemon. I also think it's really cool that Ash now has a father figure in the form of Kukui.
  • The focus on regional culture. I think Alola is one of the most interesting regions to date, if not the most, and I love that the anime has put focus on Alola's culture and what sets it apart. One of my favorite examples of this is the importance of family. I love that every one of the classmates has some sort of family that we've already been introduced to and who make recurring appearances.
  • The art style. I was one of the people who hated it at first, but it's really grown on me. I think it works really well with the tone of SM. Very whimsical and bright and fun. I do hope they try something else afterwards, but for SM, I think this style fits perfectly.
  • More callbacks to the past, including visits by Delia and Mimey, Ash mentioning his Tauros, etc.

The pokemon look really good. Lillie's Vulpix is the cutest thing I've seen in the anime and that isn't a small feat.

I actually like the humor for the most part. Not all of the jokes work and I can definitely see why it wouldn't be appealing to others, but the comedy has been pretty nice so far. A great example is the Detective Rotom episode. The gags made an otherwise okay/boring episode memorable and hilarious. The Bewear running gag is great and I'm kind of glad that they brought back the whole Pokemon attacking James out of affection bit. It had gotten pretty old for me by the time DP rolled around, but I think that not having that gag around for so long could help to make it feel more fresh now. There have been times where the comedy actually makes me laugh, which hasn't happened for Pokemon in quite some time.

I really like how they've handled Lillie's fear thus far. While you can see some of her reactions to Pokemon touching her as funny, they don't really treat it as a running gag. They recognized at the beginning that it was sad that she loved Pokemon so much and couldn't be near them without freezing up. I also appreciate how they've handled her trying to overcome that fear. The series has had characters getting over problems and fears like this relatively quick, but they're handling it differently here. Lillie takes baby steps with each of her focused episodes and that feels much more realistic, especially when we still don't know what caused her fear and she's been dealing with it for years. It could be that they just want to have Lillie do something before they cover the Aether Foundation stuff, but it still feels refreshing and more realistic than how the show has handled other kind of personal conflicts.

I like how they have handled the larger cast for the most part. Instead of trying to figure out how to fit everyone in every episode, there are plenty of times where only a few of the classmates show up. They couldn't really do this before because the characters were traveling together. There were episodes where Ash and his friends were separated from each other, but they'd have to figure out a reason for the separation and then bring them back in the second episode. They don't really have to do that here because the other cast members simply go home. Granted, it is a bit of a double edge sword since it took awhile for some of the characters to get their own episodes. Waiting eleven episodes for a Kiawe episode was a bit much, even though I really liked that episode, and then waiting eighteen episodes for a Mallow focused episode was definitely too long, but for the most part, I do like how they don't force every main character into every episode. It's something I think only this series could pull off because the kids still have their own homes and families.

I like the general group chemistry between Ash and his new friends. Moments like the group helping Ash out with his first Trial, working together to save him from the Palossand and commenting on his real speech during the Open House episode make them feel like they are a group of friends to me. It's nothing outstanding, but giving the sense that these are a bunch of friends does help to make their interactions feel more sincere. Out of the classmates, Lillie and Kiawe are my favorites. Lillie's focused episodes are some of the best and I still like how they've handled her fear. Kiawe's focused episode was so good. It was nice to see how important his family is to him as well as how it tied into his goal. Plus, I kind of like his dynamic with Ash as the slightly older and serious/straight-man of the group.

I like SM Ash. He feels kind of like what they may have wanted BW Ash to be, but without going as far as regressing his skills as a trainer. He's upbeat, his facial expressions make him look more energetic and happy and he does seem to genuinely having fun in Alola. He's used for comedy more, but he still seems to be pretty competent as a trainer. I don't know if more recent episodes would make me think differently, but he was doing pretty fine for the first few episodes and I was still surprisingly impressed with how well he did in his first Grand Trial with just two Pokemon on his team. He still feels like Ash to me for the most part. His determination to stay with Litten until it started to eat and then protecting it while they were trapped inside the giant Palossand showed how sweet and compassionate he still is with Pokemon. The main thing that does feel off about him to me is just how his motivation for completing the Island Trials is so off. After years of Ash being eagerly impatient to get to the next Gym, seeing him take his sweet time just for the first Trial felt strange, but otherwise, he's pretty likable.

The capture episodes have been pretty good, especially for Rockruff and Litten. Seeing Rockruff and Ash bond was so adorable and it helps that Rockruff is one of my favorite Pokemon from this generation. I do like the Litten episode too, but at the same time, I'm not sure if I can give it as much credit as I've seen other people do. It does showcase Litten's grief quite effectively and it was heartbreaking, but then it was able to overcome the grief really fast after seeing Scotland in the clouds. Granted, grief is a complicated emotion and they wouldn't want to spend more than one episode on Litten's grief simply because that wouldn't fit with the tone of the series, so I can't be too upset in that regard. I'm just not sure if I can say that the series covers a topic like death and grief as well as I've seen people claim. It was still a good episode.

I can still definitely see where some of the complaints of the series are coming from and in some cases, I'd agree with them, but generally speaking, the series is still pretty fun and entertaining to watch in my opinion.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom