• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What do you like about USUM?

What I love is just a minor aesthetic detail but I'm loving it soooooo much: the fact that you can see wild pokemon running and flying all around you. It really makes the world of pokemon feel truly alive. So far I've seen
-Wingulls flying in route 1
-Fomantis in route 4
-Magmar in the volcano.
-Drifloon in Malie cape
-Bewear in Battle Tree
I'll try to find more.

Last edited:
Slowly making progress through the tutorial stages of the game and already noticed several little gems:
  • Your mom gives you a free Poke Ball if you double back home after Kukui demonstrates catching Pokemon
  • The Iki Town festival music is remixed with the Kahuna theme, in a very grandiose fashion
  • The Iki Town festival feels & looks much more like a populated festival, with Hawaiian chanting too
  • In Kukui's home, you can see a wild Slowpoke walking outside the house's big, back window
  • You frequently see Wingull (day) and Murkrow (night) flying around in Route 1, shadows and all
  • Trainers are now animated after losing, compared to the still 3D shots from Sun & Moon
  • Nurse Joy now mentions your first party Pokemon when fully healing your party
  • The cafe's drinks look a lot more realistic and varied now
I really appreciate all these minute changes. They definitely make the games feel much more immersive, and I've barely even started :p

The fact that Mount Lanakila is now a proper Victory Road is a very welcome change.

The Ultra Wormholes. Just all of it. This is probably my favorite thing in any Pokemon game, ever.

Only just made it to Ula'ula, but whatever.
  • The little details, as others have mentioned. I hope future Pokémon games keep this up, because it's really good.
  • Everything about Dulse and Zossie. I don't even know why, but I'm obsessed with them.
  • Eggs being able to be transferred right to a PC.
  • That Ditto Five sidequest was pretty funny.
  • The wild and Trainer battle music is great. Certainly improvements over S/M, imo.
  • The Alola Photo Club is pretty enjoyable.
  • The Rotom Powers are so useful. Great addition.
Guess that's all for now.

1. Colress!!
  2. Ultra Warp Ride and exploring Ultra Space are completely awesome.
  3. Becoming friends with Rotom. Utterly cheesy, 100% welcomed.
  4. All the extra sidequests that you find scattered about.
  5. Rainbow Rocket in general, while short, was fun.
  6. The new music is amazing.

Isle Evelup increasing the amount of EXP gained. Instead of 50, 150 and 300 for levels 1, 2 and 3 respectively like in the original, they increased it to 100, 250 and 500.

More things I love:

That you can save by pressing Y now, lot more practical :D

That the nurse now mentions the first Pokémon in your party when having healed them, it's a small thing but a really nice touch. (at least I think she didn't do that in SuMo?)

You talk about Nurse Joy mentioning the names and I agree that is a very nice touch. Have you had her take a break with you yet? So very human and so very awesome that they added it. For the first game ever, Nurse Joy seems human!

You talk about Nurse Joy mentioning the names and I agree that is a very nice touch. Have you had her take a break with you yet? So very human and so very awesome that they added it. For the first game ever, Nurse Joy seems human!
That just happened with me when I first arrived on Ula'Ula! And I agree-it's very humanizing and actually sets her apart from being the redundant healer in every game of the franchise.

I wanted to say that I appreciate that the reporter's name in the Chuuster side-quest is named Rita. You know, as in Rita Skeeter? The enchantingly nasty, fake-news journalist from the Harry Potter series? It can't be a coincidence and they're both annoying characters :LOL:

That just happened with me when I first arrived on Ula'Ula! And I agree-it's very humanizing and actually sets her apart from being the redundant healer in every game of the franchise.

I wanted to say that I appreciate that the reporter's name in the Chuuster side-quest is named Rita. You know, as in Rita Skeeter? The enchantingly nasty, fake-news journalist from the Harry Potter series? It can't be a coincidence and they're both annoying characters :LOL:
I feel like in this instance it MIGHT just be a coincidence...

Now, this one has to be intentional, there's a random rancher girl in the cemetery on Melemele with a single pikachu, and her name is Ikue. That's a nice little homage.

Ok, after all my negativity on USUM, I do have positives to day
1. The story is a definite improvement from Sun and Moon imo. A better development path for Lillie, and Lusamine's actions actually have a purpose. The uncanny humor appears a lot too, and I appreciate that
2. The post game is great, at least the first 2 hours of it. Rainbow Rocket was pretty hype, though I just can't help but feel how forced these characters were added in, though at least their interactions are actually interesting and, if not, funny. Also, Colress playing a major part of the story is also great
3. The Pokemon diversity. It was great having Blaziken, my ace, in my party
4. Ultra Wormhole and Mantine Surf - pretty fun things to do after RR, with shiny hunting and that special Pikachu definitely worth it imo
That's all that I can think of from the top of my head

Edit: I definitely have more positives to say, now that this game grew onto me, but everyone else has listed it, so yeah.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but the updated PokeDex entries. sure, a lot of them are still in line with what we already knew from older entries, but they also add something, like Shuppet's entry:

"It eats up emotions like malice, jealousy, and resentment, so some people are grateful for its presence."

Some people being grateful for its presence, cause it feeds on these negative emotions (most likely reducing them) is a new take something we already knew. It's nice

And even some Pokemon already in S/M got new entries

My main mon, Decidueye, has a much more badass Moon Pokedex entry.

We go from this:
"Although basically cool and cautious, when it's caught by surprise, it's seized by panic."

To this:
"Decidueye can nock and fire an arrow at an enemy in a tenth of a second, so its battles are decided in the blink of an eye."

Hiding behind a spoiler tag, because there's actual spoilers to why I liked these games.

It was basically a reboot, but I have to admit it was a reboot I liked. The ending felt happier and I liked that. Lusamine wasn't the heartless psychopath that was seen in Sun and Moon, and she has shown to genuinely care for her children. Yeah, at first she was a bit power hungry, but she faced something so powerful that she had to rely on the protagonist for help instead of being an outright villain. People may not like that too much because it makes her "cooler" to be a psychopath, but to me, I loved her and Guzma's turn to the goodside of things. There's also the ending where Hau is not seen out-of-character where he mourns the fact that Lillie left. I hated seeing an upbeat guy like him sad. Lillie stays and is even more helpful during the Team Rainbow Rocket storyline. Faba being a twit and a punching bag at the end was hillarious and very much deserved. Overall, I am very satisfied with the story. It wasn't as dark (unless you include the scene with that asshole, Ghetsis, but he's always been pure evil) or sad as Sun and Moon. Then again I love ligher and fluffier stuff, so yeah, this game had a great rebooted story.

The game was also a lot more challenging than expected. There were some sucker punches to the AI that I didn't expect.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom