• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What do you like about USUM?

I agree about Molayne, it was especially funny for me because I usually go in order from left to right when I fight the Elite Four, but for UM, I went right to left just for a change of pace and you can imagine how shocked I was when I got to him expecting Hala and finding Molayne XD I do like that he got that little bit of an expanded role

Did I mention how it's funny AF that Guzma holds off those two Rocket Grunts with his bare hands for like, the duration of fighting two bosses, LOL!

I also liked Molayne being in the elite 4 (even though I miss the line "old Hala is here to make you holler" lol). And I wasn't expecting his first pokemon to be Klefki of all things so that made me laugh.

And another thing I really like: SOS Chansey and Blissey battles. In Sun and Moon I never bothered getting my whole team to level 100 because level grinding was so boring, and I love that there's an easy way to grind now in the post-game.

I don't think I mentioned this either but I love the Ultra Wormhole ride and being able to get shinies more easily and catch as many ultra beasts as I want.

I've gone through the Ultra Wormholes a few time and I love this feature. It takes awhile to get used to the movement, even with using the circle pad, but once I did, it was so much fun just flying through Ultra Space. It's a really cool and fun way to find different Pokemon to catch after the storyline, even if it is still weird to not have the Pokedex update with new information due to not having a National Dex. I've already caught a good number of Pokemon and a couple of Legendary Pokemon. The worlds for the Ultra Beats are really cool and it's nice that we can explore more of Ultra Space in general.

I also found two shiny Pokemon in just one day. I'm lucky if I can find one Shiny Pokemon within each generation, so this is the first time I found more than one in a generation. That is amazing and easily one of the coolest features in US/UM.

I also found two shiny Pokemon in just one day. I'm lucky if I can find one Shiny Pokemon within each generation, so this is the first time I found more than one in a generation. That is amazing and easily one of the coolest features in US/UM.

I've heard that Shinies are almost ridiculously easy to find in these games. I recall hearing that in certain conditions there's a 20% chance to encounter a Shiny through an Ultra Wormhole. I'm not sure how well I remember that info, so don't take my word on it if it turns out I was wrong. But still, the odds are incredibly high.

Hau near the end; from when he decides to better himself as a trainer for the sake of his Pokémon team, finally defining himself as more than a kahuna's grandson by beating Hala in a no-holds battle, all culminating in his big arrival at the Pokémon League... Well, let's just say that he absolutely won me over. Lillie wasn't the only one to bounce back from the events at Lusamine's mansion.

I'm still really happy with Hau's development. I already liked him quite a bit in Sun/Moon. He was just fun and his friendship with the player character and Lillie felt genuine to me, which always helps to make a character feel endearing to me, but his storyline and development in US/UM made me like him a lot more. He might be one of my favorite rivals after going through these games. His development was pretty solid and getting to battle him in the Pokemon League was pretty satisfying.

The Electric Trial is pretty cool. I like how they changed from the Sound Test to an actual puzzle. And that Togedemaru is something else...+2 Defense, Spiky Shield, Skarmory Support, Torment...That's one way to shut down Ground types xD The amount of thought being put into the boss design has really impressed me in this Generation.

Also, I learned that you can find all of the Power Items in the field in this game. I've complained for years about having to spend BP on essential training gear, so...That's nice.

Last edited:
Okay, I can't be the only person who put Giovanni's theme on auto-replay whenever I listen to music XD

Being able to befriend some pokemon on the field is really nice. (Although I wished for the Vulpix to join my team) It was also really cute to see them sleep on the field. The Spinda sleeps while standing lol...

OK, not something limited to just USUM, but I *LOVE* the fact that I can see ALL of my pokemon's IV's through the Judge app instead of just the highest. As a breeder, that is very helpful for me.

• SOS Chansey and Blissey battles are a godsend for power leveling.
  • GUZMA. They took a guy who was already the best character in SuMo and made him even better. Him helping out against Rainbow Rocket was already fantastic, but them saying he went back home to battle his abusive dad in a Pokemon battle and won? Out. Standing.
  • Rainbow Rocket made me like Cyrus a whole lot more than I did. His reaction to the Rotomdex humanized him a bit.
  • Speaking of the Rainbow Rocket arc, it further cemented Ghetsis is the biggest example of "love to hate" in the franchise for me. Him smacking Lillie in the face and threatening to murder her just made me hate him even more, but in the best possible way. Although Guzma's my favorite villain as a character, especially after his development in USUM, Ghetsis is my favorite villain as a villain.
  • Speaking of villains, HOLY SHIT THE ULTRA NECROZMA FIGHT. It was a lot more difficult on my mono-Dark run than it was on my mono-Bug run, but I enjoyed it. Ultra Necrozma's battle theme is the best legendary battle theme in the entire franchise; I mean, I loved Deoxys' theme in ORAS, but this theme made me feel like I was fighting an actual god.
  • Also, UNLIMITED AMOUNTS OF THE ORIGINAL SEVEN UBS! This was amazing, and I'm disappointed Blacephalon and Stakatakatakataka don't have their own parts of Ultra Space. I'm already biased because Buzzwole's my favorite UB, but I'm particularly fond of Buzzwole's Ultra Space for having the most hilarious piece of music in the franchise. I crack up every time I end up there, lol
  • The new UBs were pretty great. I'm most fond of Blacephalon because I'm weird like that.
  • The move tutors this gen were fantastic! Unlike the ones in Gen VI, they actually added new moves to the list, including Defog!
  • Kommo-o getting Close Combat. Hell. Yes.
  • A lot of the sidequests and such fleshed out the world. I may be biased because of my love for spooky things, but the haunted school sidequest was my favorite one.
  • Mantine Surfing. It can be frustating when the RNG places the obstacles in the worst places, but it's still fun and a fantastic way to grind for BP.
  • Speaking of BP, being able to curbstomp anything in the regular-ranked Battle Tree with level 100 Pokemon is an excellent source of catharsis.
  • Even if the selection of Pokemon they made available as shinies was underwhelming to me (needed more Bug-types, although getting an easy Shiny Yanmega was amazing), the Ultra Warp Ride was great.

- fully evolved starters with that good type combos and uniq moves and good abilities this generation was and is really good.
(Liquid voice isnt bad, it needs a buff and new sound moves will come)

- maybe this gen was slower but has given us a good new aproach to "priority" usage and countering it, also made people focus on speed strategy , hope next gen will also make a step in that direction.

I enjoyed the Rainbow Rocket but it should've just been a £10 DLC. Annoyed I had to get through 60 hours or boredom before I got to it

It's an unpopular opinion, but I liked how the characters played in the story better in USUM... for the most part.

Mostly, Hau being less of an annoying rival and taking a few levels of badass.

Gladion having some depth in why he was struggling to keep the breaking apart family from breaking apart. (Rather than just the basic edge a lot of people over glorify him for.)

Seeing Guzma's character develop more on screen, rather than being scared straight and hinting of it. He beaten his abusive dad, actually helped you during the Rainbow Rocket Episode.

Lusamine. We actually get main story dialogue as to why she was messing around the wormholes in the first place... Aka Mohn disappearing being a key factor to how she became the wreck she became in the main story. Rather than leaving it in post game dialogue a LOT of people missed.

In addition we see on screen character development (Visit her pre Rainbow Rocket.) and see where it goes post Rainbow Rocket. (Because putting her in a hospital and having Lillie say she is getting better as a person is not enough when the story left with no closure.)

That and when her brain isn't screwed up on jellyfish, we get to see more depth out of her

Aether Family drama has MUCH better closure in USUM (As in it actually exist rather than leaving us wanting more.)

Lillie. In exchange for the narrative not focusing on her. (That will be where I go into the don't like category.) They still developed her from a damsel esc character all the way to actually being a trainer.

She got to stay on Alola with her friends and new family, she is actually pretty good in the battle tree and am I the only one who saw Lillie do well in the Faba fight? (That Clefairy hit every single one of her sings among other things.)

That and her parting with Nebby in my opinion was played better in USUM. Where after the Necrozma incident she got to help Nebby recover. (Heck, Lillie smiling that Lusamine was willing to help with that. "Kind of the reason the Necrozma thing happened to Nebby in the first place." Made it worth it.)

Lillies reasoning for parting with Nebby. (Even if Necrozma was shoe horned in as a reason.) Makes a bit more sense than (I am not a trainer) and you capture Nebby in the place you met it in the game. (That old bridge!)

Edit.
SM was exhausting in how most of the plot was centered around Lillie as opposed to the player. USUM improved in that department imo, like cutting her from Exeggutor Island for example.

A lot of people complain on that, personally I see why the Exeggutor Island scene was cut out.

Lusamine was less horrible in this game, which the Exeggutor Island scene was there to tell us the players that she wasn't always as horrible as she was in S/M. (It kind of failed knowing people's reactions.)

Lillie also confessed her feelings to your P.C by saying she want's to be a trainer and travel with you. Which is exactly what she says in the end of Rainbow Rocket.

With those two factors in USUM added in... that would mean Exeggutor Island's cutscene was rendered not needed in USUM.

Granted this means less Lillie time which weakens her story in USUM (The main part of USUM's main story.) if only by default.

I personally don't have much of a grip over the changes since the closure we got in the post rainbow rocket MORE than makes up for it.

Last edited:
that they showed that they can change/buff/nerf abilities and moves when ever and how they want:

give Umbreon Dazzling or buff Illuminate, the first option would be more interesting
Speed Boost Gogoat

Hope that Gale Wing will work in future till the user is above 50% and stop like School form... always 100% hp is a too big nerf for Talonflame and future users of this ability I think...

Gengar rather should get Levitate as its hidden ability. But the nerf itself made Weezing shine more.

Hope that Water Compaction and Heatproof will reduce damage by half and boost both defense and special defense stats one stage.

Transform should copy Shields Down.

Also we could really get Delphox the Ilusion ability to make Zoroark more a surprise.

Many too similar abilities and moves still need buffs that wuold clearly seperate them and make them more outstanding or a little diffrent atleast from others taking the types and pokemon that have them...

• Although I haven't gotten that far yet, the Rainbow Rocket post-game seems incredibly fun!
  • Mantine Surfing is awesome and I really think Game Freak did this right because you can just surf all day in exchange for BP, which I don't mind!
  • I like the storyline changes; unless there's something I'm missing, Lusamine is no longer the big baddie of the story. I never really felt that she was truly evil anyway, so I suppose USUM's story fits better with Lusamine's character than SM, but that's just me.
  • Bit more Pokemon variety.
  • The absolute fuckton of legendaries that you can catch by traveling through wormholes! You could also hunt shinies this way, although I imagine it's much more time-consuming.
That's pretty much about all that comes to mind. =o I think USUM are a solid pair of games -- they do have their flaws like most third games do -- but I think they're decent and not as bad as some say they are.

Roto Lotto. It helps make raising Pokemon post-game a lot more streamlined. Although I do wish EXP Boots was easier to obtain. Also the trials are a lot more thought out and more fun. Most of all though, the sheer amount of legendaries that can be caught is mindblowing!

in my opinion, my favourite parts of the game were mantine surfing and ultrahole hunting. Mantine surfing because it is an easy way to get BP and ultrahole hunting because on top of all the legendaries and ultra beasts you can catch, there is also an increased rate of shininess.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom