• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: What Do You Listen To While You Write/Draw?

I don't really listen to anything when I'm writing my Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fanfic, I'm the kind of guy who can concentrate better when everything's quiet. Most music just throws me off.

What does help me though, is watching something. I boot up my 2DS and play PMD Blue Rescue Team (it and the Red version are what I'm writing about), to get some inspiration and visualisation from the game's scenery and dungeons, it helps me picture the scene I'm trying to depict. I've been replaying Northwind Field for a while now since that's the point I'm at.

Honestly, nothing beats listening to what you're trying to write about. I was writing a poem about monotonous conversation and what else would I focus my ears on but those very people that inspired me to write the poem?

Honestly, nothing beats listening to what you're trying to write about. I was writing a poem about monotonous conversation and what else would I focus my ears on but those very people that inspired me to write the poem?
Ugh, how do you do it? I can't focus on anything that requires typing/pen and paper if anyone is talking. A few remarks here and there is fine, but a constant conversation for 10+ minutes is enough to break me.

Ugh, how do you do it? I can't focus on anything that requires typing/pen and paper if anyone is talking. A few remarks here and there is fine, but a constant conversation for 10+ minutes is enough to break me.
Oh, they were talking rather monotonously and were a few tables away. I had to to focus to hear the details of their conversation--it was more of a background sound, similar to waves or birds chirping.

I've put together a youtube list of what's on my current writing playlist. I throw it on whenever I do anything that let's me just sit back and relax for hours on end.

There's kind of a strange mix on there, featuring some jazz, some piano stuff, lots of Zelda/Warcraft music, and some bits and pieces from movie soundtracks I've found over the years. It's by no means a complete collection of what I listen to while writing, since half of the junk on my playlist isn't available on youtube, but that's what I could find.

i can't listen to anything while i write, it just breaks my concentration entirely and i can't form proper sentences, even if there are no lyrics in the music. though with drawing, i almost always listen to something in the background. i don't have any special kind of music or mix i listen to, i just listen to the same stuff i do while i'm not drawing.
that said, my taste in music is a bit weird. a lot of it is different types of EDM, but there's also 90s and 80s rock, anime soundtracks, metal covers of other songs, mashups, remixes, and sometimes mainstream stuff that's just very catchy. though if i get very into something or i need to get something just right, i leave the music out so i can concentrate better.

I tend to watch things, as it happens, invariably something I've seen many times before. I tried watching documentaries while I write one, which didn't work since I ended up wanting to pay more attention to the documentary than the page in front of me

Lately I've been listening to songs that fit the mood of what I'm trying to write. Like if its a sad scene its a slower and moodier song, or if its an intense battle scene its a rockin' vibe song.

I don't usually listen to anything when I write, as most times it breaks my concentration. If I happen to listen to something, it'll generally be chill, calming music. Stuff like Chill Hop/Lo-fi Hip Hop, Trip Hop, Chillstep, Tropical House, Deep House, Witch House, Vaporwave/Vaportrap, etc. As you can tell, I love EDM.

When I'm drawing, however, I'll listen to anything. Usually I'll put on something more upbeat or loud, but I do listen to chill stuff from time to time as well. Genres include;

EDM/Electronic: Trance/Hard Trance, Trap/Future Bass, Dubstep, Hardstyle, Hardcore/Happy Hardcore, Electro House, Progressive House, Electro Swing, Drum and Bass, Glitch Hop, Synthwave, etc

Other Genres; Alternative Metal/Rock, Progressive Metal/Rock, K-Pop, J-Rock, Indie Rock, Indie Pop, Orchestral (movie soundtracks).

Last edited:
I'm in the same case as canisaries and Shushupu.

Listen to nothing when writing.
Listen to anything when drawing.

And for that "anything", it just depends on my personal preference and mood of the day. Though regardless of am I drawing or not, my personal preference is always the anime songs and game BGM.

Power metal for action/war stories
Goa trance for general writing
Industrial rock/hard techno for cyberpunk writing

Personally, I enjoy a ton of pop music to help me zone out. And I mean "listen to the same damn song about fifty times before I'm tired of it." The lyrics never bother me when I'm writing (ironically, when I'm doing calculations/etc, I can't focus well with music on). But when I'm scanning for errors, I like to pick out a song that mimics the feel of the scene(s).

I have to have complete silence while I do creative writing or else I can't concentrate.

On the other hand, when I'm drawing, I like to listen to songs that fit the theme of the picture, or even songs that inspired the picture in the first place. (For example, I got the idea for my Steenee x Kirlia drawing while listening to "That's What Girls Do" by No Secrets, so I kept listening to that particular song over and over while drawing the pic.)

BGMs, OSTs, anything that's usually placed in the background. Nothing with lyrics - I might get distracted or write it down. Music helps me concentrate. If I really really need to finish something but can't get started, I turn on bgms from sports anime full blast. Recently, I've been listening to Haikyuu!! bgms while working on a tedious essay. Really gets me pumped up.

In addition, I also listen to whatever strikes me as an inspiration - be it short stories or pictures. I was once listening to Unravel from Tokyo Ghoul, and I had this image of N that I really wanted to draw, so I looped that music until I was done.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom