• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you miss most about the older games?

The story. Okay, so the storylines weren't crazy good, but at least there was some thought put into it. My real gripe with gen 6 was the absolutely horrific story (or lack thereof). The storyboarding must've taken the whole of their lunchtime;

> Show up in new town
> Get called to a cafe by four people you don't know, by a creepy guy you also don't know
> Within ten minutes everyone is your best friend (uh, no, GF, that's not how it works irl)
> No backstory for sappy rival. He is literally the pokemon form of Naruto's Sasuke, except he isn't even that good.
> Lysandre shows up, again, you have no idea who he is but it speaks about him as if you do (I JUST GOT HERE DAMNIT WHO ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE?!)
> Suddenly, you are battling 300 grunts with similar pokemon and no way of advancing or avoiding them. This doesn't count as plot development, GF.
> Then, you've saved the world. BOOM. Nice one, Joan. Wohoo. Good job you were the chosen one, right? (Poor Calem...)
> AZ is crying about a flower pokemon. Sycamore is apologizing that is best friend turned out to be into genocide and he didn't notice. People are telling you the connection between you and your overleveled starter is nothing like they've ever seen before. You get your own parade. You are King.

Thinking about it, maybe the old gens didn't have fabulous story, either. But at least I was young enough then not to care. :lol:

The story. Okay, so the storylines weren't crazy good, but at least there was some thought put into it. My real gripe with gen 6 was the absolutely horrific story (or lack thereof). The storyboarding must've taken the whole of their lunchtime;

> Show up in new town
> Get called to a cafe by four people you don't know, by a creepy guy you also don't know
> Within ten minutes everyone is your best friend (uh, no, GF, that's not how it works irl)
> No backstory for sappy rival. He is literally the pokemon form of Naruto's Sasuke, except he isn't even that good.
> Lysandre shows up, again, you have no idea who he is but it speaks about him as if you do (I JUST GOT HERE DAMNIT WHO ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE?!)
> Suddenly, you are battling 300 grunts with similar pokemon and no way of advancing or avoiding them. This doesn't count as plot development, GF.
> Then, you've saved the world. BOOM. Nice one, Joan. Wohoo. Good job you were the chosen one, right? (Poor Calem...)
> AZ is crying about a flower pokemon. Sycamore is apologizing that is best friend turned out to be into genocide and he didn't notice. People are telling you the connection between you and your overleveled starter is nothing like they've ever seen before. You get your own parade. You are King.

Thinking about it, maybe the old gens didn't have fabulous story, either. But at least I was young enough then not to care. :lol:

The strange thing about the gen 6 story was that after you had saved the world, it was like, "ok, let's go on", as if nothing had happened. I thought that strange. They should have put the saving-the-world part to the end; it would have made it simpler. Somewhere between defeating the champion and meeting AZ at the parade. Such Pokemon as Xernias and Yveltal should not be available too early anyway. I don't remember if you could get such powerful Pokemon early in the older games. I don't remember, when did you get Lugia and Ho-oh in Gold/Silver? Was it in the middle of the game? In generation 1 they were quite late I think, but I only remember where you got Mewtwo.

> Show up in new town

The strange thing about the gen 6 story was that after you had saved the world, it was like, "ok, let's go on", as if nothing had happened. I thought that strange. They should have put the saving-the-world part to the end; it would have made it simpler. Somewhere between defeating the champion and meeting AZ at the parade. Such Pokemon as Xernias and Yveltal should not be available too early anyway. I don't remember if you could get such powerful Pokemon early in the older games. I don't remember, when did you get Lugia and Ho-oh in Gold/Silver? Was it in the middle of the game? In generation 1 they were quite late I think, but I only remember where you got Mewtwo.

You've actually had the option of catching at least one legendary before the E4 in every game through Gen IV. In Gen I it was the birds: Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos. In Gen II it was Ho-Oh/Lugia(and maybe the Dogs/Beasts, I'm not sure). In Gen II you were forced to face Kyogre/Groudon before the Eighth Gym. In Emerald you didn't HAVE to go and catch that Lv 70 Rayquaza, but you could go get it to sweep the Elite Four if you wanted. In Gen IV you had to defeat/catch Dialga/Palkia/Giratina right after the Seventh Gym. In Black and White you were forced to catch Reshiram/Zekrom, but it was after you battled your way through the Elite Four so it was a little different. In BW2 you don't get Kyurem until post-game, but you can get the Musketeers along your journey.

So really, the only game where you can't get a Legendary Pokemon until after the Elite Four is Pokemon Black 2/White 2.
Granted, you weren't always forced to battle them. It was optional in some of them.

> Show up in new town

"Oh, you're Joan, aren't you? I saw you at the parade! Didn't you save the world or something?" ~ The hairdresser gives me more credit than my in-game mom does.

As for getting powerful pokemon, I didn't actually think it was that early, like Ellron said I can't think of any gens where you don't get them before EF. The game itself was easy enough without a ledgendary anyway - that silly mass Exp. share was a terrible idea. I had to turn it off AND play nuzlocke just to get any kind of challenge from it. Yech >.>

> Show up in new town

"Oh, you're Joan, aren't you? I saw you at the parade! Didn't you save the world or something?" ~ The hairdresser gives me more credit than my in-game mom does.

As for getting powerful pokemon, I didn't actually think it was that early, like Ellron said I can't think of any gens where you don't get them before EF. The game itself was easy enough without a ledgendary anyway - that silly mass Exp. share was a terrible idea. I had to turn it off AND play nuzlocke just to get any kind of challenge from it. Yech >.>

Heh, I'm doing the same thing! I'm also doing it in French! It's a... trying endeavor, to say the least. I've never actually beaten a Nuzlocke(I'm playing two of them now), so it's been quite a good challenge for me. I've lost ten Pokemon, nine of them yesterday, and I just made it to the Tower of Mastery... yeah, I had a really bad day yesterday.

I've discovered that it's no easier to overlevel in X and Y than in any other game, provided you turn off EXP Share. But with it on, the gyms are all a joke.

This happens in almost every game. The main plot usually ends around the 7th gym, sometimes the 8th gym, and then you just continue with the badge quest and beat the Pokemon League. It's certainly poor pacing and pretty much dries up your motivation to finish the game, but it's far from atypical in this series.

Yeah, you defeat the bad guys before facing the champion. In XY it was so epic though, at least for being a Pokemon game; I think the save-the-world part was actually good. But that made it even more a constrast to the usual Pokemon quest. Maybe the problem is not that they placed the event where you save the world at the wrong place. Maybe the problem is that they did it so well that the rest of the game felt awkward.

It's like the champion battle is more important, when they have that as the end event; becoming a champion is more important that saving the world. In Gen 1 you had the criminal Rocket Gang, but I never felt that they threatend the world in the same way as later gangs have. And meeting Flare's leader was almost like facing a bad guy from Final Fantasy.

Maybe GF should place the fight-the-bad-guys as the main plot in future games, and champion battles as something less significant. But they had, as I had been waiting for, placed the bad guy (who turned up to be good later on) as the Champion in BW. That's also a good solution.

Despite the all that's epic about the new bad guys, the moments when you faced the Rockets or your rival, or even wild Pokemon, in the first generation seemed more threatening than the bad guys who threaten to take over or destroy the world. In gen 1 your character did not seem to have that many friends around him; he was more or less alone with his Pokemon. There were not many people showing up to wish him good luck or cheer him on as there are in other games. Only his rival to show up and be mean. The journey seemed a bit tougher then. It was as if you were left on your own.

I hate the gen 6 exp share. I've never actually used it, and I probably never will, because it gets you experience far too easily. That being said, if you don't use it, the enemy trainers have a visibly faster growth curve than you. That is, if you're like me and don't fight wild pokemon.

This being said, I'm yet to find a good place to get experience for individual pokemon. It seems game freak are trying very hard to turn our attention towards teams, completely at the expense of the individual. Or I just haven't found it yet.

As far as I know, the elite four in XY don't seem to 'get strong' after a certain post game event. Either I haven't found the trigger event yet or they just stay weak.

Moving on from minor rants about XY, something I've been missing since BW is the proper battle frontier, with all of the different areas. We don't need easy and hard modes for everything, just give us the five decent battle zones back.

The decreasing rarity of shiny pokemon is definitely a pity. Before XY, I only ever had one random shiny encounter - a grimer in Black 2, which I thought would be my only random shiny ever - but in Y I've met two shinies already. They are more common, aren't they?

Something I miss from GS (or technically HGSS, since I've only played the remakes) was the post game battle with Red. I know it's a one-off in the series, but I thought it was really nice to have a battle against an opponent who would actually have high level pokemon, and wouldn't just be demolished by anything level 100. Sadly, I never found anywhere good enough for training to ever get to fight him, but I like the concept of having an epic battle post game.

Another thing I miss from those games was unlocking the Kanto region after finishing Johto. Or even the Sevii Islands from FRLG. Having something to do post game is practically essential, though it always seems to get neglected. Hmmm.

Yeah, you defeat the bad guys before facing the champion. In XY it was so epic though, at least for being a Pokemon game; I think the save-the-world part was actually good. But that made it even more a constrast to the usual Pokemon quest. Maybe the problem is not that they placed the event where you save the world at the wrong place. Maybe the problem is that they did it so well that the rest of the game felt awkward.

It's like the champion battle is more important, when they have that as the end event; becoming a champion is more important that saving the world. In Gen 1 you had the criminal Rocket Gang, but I never felt that they threatend the world in the same way as later gangs have. And meeting Flare's leader was almost like facing a bad guy from Final Fantasy.

Maybe GF should place the fight-the-bad-guys as the main plot in future games, and champion battles as something less significant. But they had, as I had been waiting for, placed the bad guy (who turned up to be good later on) as the Champion in BW. That's also a good solution.

Despite the all that's epic about the new bad guys, the moments when you faced the Rockets or your rival, or even wild Pokemon, in the first generation seemed more threatening than the bad guys who threaten to take over or destroy the world. In gen 1 your character did not seem to have that many friends around him; he was more or less alone with his Pokemon. There were not many people showing up to wish him good luck or cheer him on as there are in other games. Only his rival to show up and be mean. The journey seemed a bit tougher then. It was as if you were left on your own.

I don't really think the 6th gen plot was significantly better than any other, aside from RBYFRLG and GSCHGSS, which had nearly nonexistent plots anyway. You could pretty much say the same thing about RSE, DPPt, and BW2 as well.

As far as I know, the elite four in XY don't seem to 'get strong' after a certain post game event. Either I haven't found the trigger event yet or they just stay weak.

Nope, they just stay the same level that you fight them at your first time.

The decreasing rarity of shiny pokemon is definitely a pity. Before XY, I only ever had one random shiny encounter - a grimer in Black 2, which I thought would be my only random shiny ever - but in Y I've met two shinies already. They are more common, aren't they?

They doubled the encounter rate from 1/8192 to 1/4096. Additionally, it seems as though the rate is increased even further in the Friend Safari (we don't really know how much, but if I had to estimate, probably closer to 1/1000).

I miss the feeling of getting my very first Pokemon ever - a brand new level 5 Bulbasaur from Professor Oak. Oh the adventures that were in store...

What I miss most....is having free time to play the games as long as I want, and a clear table on which to sit my Game Boy [Color/Advance]/DS/3DS. :p

In all seriousness, though, I'd have to say I miss playing the first two or three generations with my real life friends. Today, most of them have either moved on from Pokémon, or moved on from me. And I have to tell you....it isn't much fun playing all by myself.

What I miss most....is having free time to play the games as long as I want, and a clear table on which to sit my Game Boy [Color/Advance]/DS/3DS. :p

In all seriousness, though, I'd have to say I miss playing the first two or three generations with my real life friends. Today, most of them have either moved on from Pokémon, or moved on from me. And I have to tell you....it isn't much fun playing all by myself.

werid for me the 3rd and 4th i only had 1 friend to play with maybe 2 and that was 1st-6th grade but now that i'm in highschool i have like 5 maybe more friends i can play with xD

i miss being able to reset the game multiple times now adays if i reset my game my pokedex is reset which i suddenly care about now, or i lose an event pokemon

the rest of the thingsi miss don't really involve the games themselves but what i did with that friend irl that involved pokemon

This is dumb and really obvious, but I like previous generations because they are already complete. I have Ruby, Sapphire, Firered, Leafgreen, Emerald, and Colosseum, and they are many different storylines. You can combine your pokemon from each game at the end to do the more difficult challenges, and they all form one coherent world together. The same applies for D/P/Pt/HG/SS/PBR even though I don't own all of those.

But in X/Y, we only have one game with one storyline (2, but paired versions) and one region. There is obviously more to come, but we don't have it yet, and so the pokemon world is actually very limited in 6th gen because of this.

A proper day/night cycle like there was in G/S/C. X/Y is awful for this, you can hardly tell the difference between day and night.

Why did X/Y not keep the season mechanic? If only for the Deerling/Sawsbuck forms.

EDIT: also i miss the apricorns/balls

Last edited:
Secret bases and/or room decorations. I really hope they do secret bases again in ORAS.

There's not a lot I miss from the previous games. If I ever miss a certain roster of available Pokémon or a story, I can always play the old games again. Features do come and go and that's annoying, but for the most part XY made things fairly available and accessible, and it improved in the only thing I can safely say 5th Gen games (Mostly BW) failed terribly in, which was availability of certain evolution stones. It's still a tad annoying to have to play a minigame for them, but there's a few you can buy and it's a much better chance than getting the right people in Black City or worse, random dust patches with a million other Items with a chance to get.

There is but one thing I do miss enormously from 5th Gen though, and that is the level-scaled Experience formula. It was by and far the most perfect formula for experience yield, and I hate very much that XY went back to the obsolete one. While I am immensely grateful they didn't fuck up further by reverting the updated base experience values to the 255 cap before BW, this way of earning experience is terrible and consumes too much time. I miss how in 5th Gen you could get from level 1 to the early to mid 30's in a single battle with a high-leveled Trainer. I can't do that in XY anymore, and it sucks. I am REALLY glad there's some much-welcome aids and bonuses like the Pokémon-Amie bonus and the O-Power (Which is basically the same as 5th Gen's Exp. Plus Power), as well as all Pokémon partaking in the battle earning 100% of the yield as opposed to 50%, as well as the new Exp. Share, but... it's still not the same. Even if the yield got lesser at higher levels, the difference was never too marked when compared to the previous formula, even at the level of the lowest yield (99) against the strongest Trainers available. It makes training in XY quite a drag.

That's all I miss, really. For the rest, the games usually improve gameplay-wise, even if they remove things from previous games. Story and characterization is something else, but at least we can revisit the previous games whenever we want if we still have them.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom