• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What do you NOT like about LGPE?

I don’t mind the new catching mechanics, but I will say that I dislike how this game encourages you to catch a ton of candy fodder. It feels counterintuitive to the whole ethos of Pokémon (caring for your Pokémon) and hypocritical considering how these games go out of their way to solidify the bond you have with your Starter.

The fact that no Pokémon has its unique attitude in the overworld. LGPE should've taken the Ranger approach (the latter can be considered an Overworld game as well): Hippowdons attack you in order to demonstrate their fierce attitude, Gardevoirs teleport away from you since they're considered timid, Wurmples try to be caught by you since they know they're useless and good at getting on everyone's nerves (kind of like Zubat) etc...

Had LGPE thought of that, then the feature which gives each Pokémon its own personality would've added a whole new dimension to the game. The Pokémon in LGPE are just like wandering zombies that aren't aware of the presence of a person whose intention is to catch them, unlike Pokémon Ranger.

The fact that no Pokémon has its unique attitude in the overworld. LGPE should've taken the Ranger approach (the latter can be considered an Overworld game as well): Hippowdons attack you in order to demonstrate their fierce attitude, Gardevoirs teleport away from you since they're considered timid, Wurmples try to be caught by you since they know they're useless and good at getting on everyone's nerves (kind of like Zubat) etc...

Had LGPE thought of that, then the feature which gives each Pokémon its own personality would've added a whole new dimension to the game. The Pokémon in LGPE are just like wandering zombies that aren't aware of the presence of a person whose intention is to catch them, unlike Pokémon Ranger.
Actually this isn’t entirely true. Abra does teleport away if it spots you. Rattata runs towards you, Clefairy runs away, etc.

Actually this isn’t entirely true. Abra does teleport away if it spots you. Rattata runs towards you, Clefairy runs away, etc.

WYNAUT ZUBAT HAVE DEM ATTITUDE???

Jokes aside, the amount of Pokémon in Ranger who have their own personality is like 85 percent. In LGPE it's like, say 5 percent?

I'll just focus on the most relevant gripes, given that these are remakes (rather than the sequels I wanted):

1. There was no need for new protagonists or a rival. The Red battle is depressing unlike in the Johto games, and I have no idea what Green's backstory is. They could have kept Trace as a secondary rival if they'd really wanted.

2. Cross-generational evolutions and some more moves would have added some diversity. I can live without the rest for one entry.

3. Mr. Fuji and Mewtwo still don't have an encounter, flashback or much of anything. Why is this so hard to do after nearly 23 years? Even a repeat of Origins would have been something.

4. It's nice that they included Archer, but why not Silver? Why not show what his life was like before Giovanni left? Who's his mom?

5. No post-game areas. I understand that there wouldn't have been much appeal without more Pokemon, but that's a good reason to add some. New variants would have worked, too. Hell, just Faraway Island and Shamouti Island would have gone a long way.

6. Forced Amie effects and 10% stat boosts (for friendship) are annoying.

7. The graphics have their charm, but Game Freak took the easy way out.

Last edited:
I still hate how they intended to make a game to wean the GO players into the main series and subsequently gimped that intention by removing two of the longest-standing features from said main series. Let's Go feels so different from its many predecessors to the point that I frankly can't call it the introductory game it's been billed as.

If I were in charge, held items and abilities would have stayed in; they're as much a part of this series as Mega Evolution and Alolan forms.

• Lack of held items
  • Lack of abilities, even if I do like wailing on the Gastly line with Dig
  • Voiced starters. I've hated Pikachu having a unique voice rather than a normal cry ever since the main-series games started doing it, and I hate the fact that Eevee has a voice now too. Even if it is a cute voice. What's wrong with cries? Cries are good.

- Lack of abilities
- Certain moves missing like Dragon Claw (What the hell, seriously?) and Extremespeed. My poor Arcanine!
- What the fuck is Green's backstory?
- Someone ever going to explain why Oak gives out the traditional 3 to Red, Blue and Green but you and your rival can only choose between Eevee, Pikachu and assumingly Clefairy?
- Mewtwo's backstory. Where. Is. It.
- Meltan being exclusive to Go. As someone who doesn't play Go, I can't get one.
- We make everything easier for kids, but we still keep trade evolutions? What's worse, they need to pay for it too! Goodbye Gengar and Alakazam if your parents don't pay for it.
- Pikachu and Eevee basically being able to use 5 moves, on top of being a stat booster when not in battle.
- We have Alola-forms but no Electivire, Magmortar and Tangrowth. What.

- Mewtwo's backstory. Where. Is. It.
It has about as much backstory as your typical mascot legendary. The problem is that Fuji's motivation in that story is very unclear. Hell, did he really need a mansion all for himself? Did he have have no family?

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon have better graphics, and they were designed for an inferior system.

How is there even an ounce of truth to this? The 3DS runs at 240p and makes all games that try to look good look incredibly pixelated. The Switch runs at 720p in handheld mode or 1080p with a capable tv, soooo I'm not sure what you're referring to, but no, the graphics are not better, not by any stretch of the word.

- Meltan being exclusive to Go. As someone who doesn't play Go, I can't get one.

This is your choice. Why not just download the game? You don't even have to progress or level up or anything, when you transfer just one Pokemon from Go to Let's Go, you get a box that you can open once a week that spawns 8-10 Meltan for 30 minutes. It would literally take you 5-10 minutes to get the app, make an account, catch a few fodder mons, and get your Mystery Box.

Let me rephrase since you don't seem to understand what I am saying, I do not care for the art style of LGPE. And what you are referring to is the resolution, not the graphics.

If you had said artstyle this wouldn't have become a discussion. Artstyle =/= graphics, whether you like an artstyle or not is completely subjective, but whether a certain game's graphics are better or worse is undoubtedly objective. And yes, I know I'm referring to the resolution, but the resolution is often brought up in relation to graphics quality, games historically known for having better graphics can simply run better resolutions at much more efficient rates, the 3DS Pokemon games were notorious for frame rate dips and lag. Now, when emulated on a PC with an exceptional graphics card and enhanced, then yes, the 3DS games look phenomenal, but the fact that it's not meant to be played on a PC but on a 3DS, makes me saying that LGPE has better graphics than SM/USUM an objectively true statement. Even when enhanced, I think SM/USUM are fairly on par with LGPE.

It's actually a decent game for me. I just wish they have the option of battling the wild Pokemon. Like upon seeing them we can choose between battle or catch. If we chose battle, we can only make the Pokemon faint and gain experience points and If we chose catch, then the new capture mechanic will play.
Another one is that they don't have a post-game new location like the Sevii islands in FireRed and LeafGreen.
Lastly, they included Mina as a cameo from Alola. They should've included more trainers from other region visiting Kanto.

Here’s another thing I just discovered. Unfortunately this is a trend that will continue thanks to Europe’s ratings for gambling, but I hate that you can’t play ANYTHING at the Celadon Game Corner. Not even simple minigames ala Pokemon-amie. I honestly hate the fact that we can’t even have a Game Corner anymore. In ORAS they made it so it was closed, but here they just made it so you couldn’t play anything since it is still the location of the Team Rocket hideout. The excuse was they were out of game tokens.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom