• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What do you NOT like about USUM?

Reaction score
Next to things you like about the games there's of course also always things you dislike, so vent it here!

For me:

That intro is still way too damn long. I tried to rush through it as fast as possible but it still took more than an hour to get at the trainer school :/ It's especially a pain if you're not interested in using any of the starters.

Rotom going 'I've never seen this Pokémon!' with every new Pokémon is really annoying, especially since I'm not going to try and complete the dex this time, I'll just move everything over from Moon, so please stop wasting my time, Rotom.

Also miffed we still can't turn off the effectiveness hints on the battle screen, I would really prefer that to be optional.

And I do hate making this such a long list, but gods that Rockruff you can play with is such a tease for following Pokémon, why are you like this GF :cry:

- hoped for more sound and dance moves, but that may come next generation, i can be patient
- hoped for more bulletproof blocking some things
- could have fixed some moves and abilities from past games, but that also probably will be in gen 8
- the pokedex should inform more the player about types, immunities, type immunities and game play but only when asked.

Bulletproof should have blocked the moves Flame Burst and Explosion.
Taking that in the japanese language moves burst and blast are the same.

the definition of burst

Military:
  1. the explosion of a projectile, especially in a specified place:
    an air burst.
  2. a rapid sequence of shots fired by one pull on the trigger of an automatic weapon:
    A burst from the machine gun shattered all the windows.

Alolan Ninetales not getting Water Pulse yet gettting Aqua Tail.
Liquidation should have never become a Tutor move. It is bad enough Scald outclasses Surf, I didn't want to see Waterfall outclassed.
The Poke Ride not being overhauled to use the Pokemon you actually own, not rentals.

I really don’t like that the bottom screen menu in battles doesn’t have some kind of pointer that hovers over the Fight/Pokémon/Bag/Run buttons anymore. Their frames just glow when one of them is selected. I know it probably seems like a very small thing, and I probably would have thought so too before now, but it is indeed a bit more visually confusing for me.

I also don’t like that the Rotom Power you get is random. I could really do with some Exp. Power but Rotom just won’t cough it up.

Also, I find it particularly grating that they added this big, new white building to Hau’oli City and yet it’s still just a big cardboard cut-out, just like the big tower there.

Last edited:
I'm glad Lana's Trial has been improved, but since the Wishiwashi/Dewpider keep calling for help, it makes matches so much longer , and the system so much slower. It's not challenging, it's tedious and aggravating.

I like RotomDex, but he's always looking sad whenever I leave him alone for more than five seconds. He's very needy. Plus, he gives me unwanted advice (which he at least knows is unwanted), and he speaks so slowly.

And now we have this little cutscene when we travel by boat, where they just show a picture of a boat for a few seconds. They don't show the boat taking off or anything - it's just there. What's the point that?

I really don’t like that the bottom screen menu in battles doesn’t have some kind of pointer that hovers over the Fight/Pokémon/Bag/Run buttons anymore. Their frames just glow when one of them is selected. I know it probably seems like a very small thing, and I probably would have thought so too before now, but it is indeed a bit more visually confusing for me.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue, I also have a hard time seeing what button is selected now. It seems they went for flashiness over practicality this time sadly. Also not a big fan of the way more colorful menus. It's pretty, sure, but really distracting.

I'm a very casual player, I don't do EV or IV training or only use Pokemon who have certain Natures or Abilities, etc. Well... Let me just say that this game really punishes you for not taking those things into consideration. At least in the original Moon, I didn't start having trouble till I got all the way to the third island. In Ultra Moon, I struggled really hard during the first battle against Illima.

It would be really nice if Pokemon games came with adjustable difficulty levels (assuming it's even possible to program difficulty levels into an RPG). This game wasn't made with casual players like me in mind at all. I think I'll just stick to playing the Gen 6 games till they come out with a game that has a more forgiving AI.

My biggest complaint is still the pacing. It's way too slowed down by text, cutscenes, and the like. It's so annoying when I'm stopped in my tracks like every 5 minutes to listen to Hau or Lillie, etc., ramble on.

I'm also still bugged about how every time you open a gate, or are stopped from entering a place, the screen goes full black for a second - why didn't they just animate the shit? I thought they might fix this in USUM but nope!

And of course I miss the DexNav. With so many Pokemon spread about, and with every route having at least one rare encounter, I know I'm missing a lot of good Pokemon by not knowing to keep looking for them. I thought about using a Buneary, but only found out where it was when I was about to leave the first island. The DexNav should've been a mainstay.

And below:

And I do hate making this such a long list, but gods that Rockruff you can play with is such a tease for following Pokémon, why are you like this GF

Not to mention that Hau is always seen walking with his starter :mad:

Last edited:
I hate that they continue to insist on making certain items like the King’s Rock available only through rare wild encounters (Hawlucha), and only at 5% chances at that. I don’t want to wait until the post-game for a bloody Politoed, but there’s no satisfaction in catching a fully-evolved one through SOS either.

Agreed with Rotom scanning every new wild Pokémon & the still slow pacing of the introductory parts of the story.

But I would have to say the biggest disappointment for me in terms of execution is the Kantonian Gym in Malie City. I never got my hopes up that we'd be able to upload QR Code Teams to battle there, but I was hoping that it would at least keep the puzzles of the Gyms & change in layout/type theme each day, maybe on a week cycle (Vermillion Gym on Mondays, Cinnabar on Tuesdays, etc.). And what is with the drill sergeant hula girl that runs the place?? Couldn't they have just brought back the old Gym Guide man ("Yo! Champ in making!")?? Seriously, fuck this shit, I'm just going to stick with Battle Buffet & Champion Title Defense.

I'm not a big fan of the new trainer battle theme. I like the SM version much more. I even think the new wild battle theme is better than the trainer theme.

I also prefer the SM HP bar over the new USUM bar. I liked that SM have a stylized bar that fit with the Hawaiian theme. The USUM one is very generic compared to that.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom