• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What do you NOT like about USUM?

I feel bad that I posted here before the positive thread, but... yeah! If it weren't for the Rotom-Dex... Gen 7 wouldn't have even... 30% of the black mark it has for me.
Don't worry, it's common for people to complain first and maybe don't even think about praising. Take a look at me: have posted on the "What you didn't like" for both SM and USM, yet I never posted on the "What you liked" of either of those... AND THE 7TH GEN IS POSSIBLY MY FAVORITE GEN!

I'm still grump about Ultra Megalopolis. And that the recon squad was split between both versions. I mean come on, there's only four of them why on earth would you make it so we basically only see TWO of them beyond the brief cameo the other two get when you go to their city-painted hallway?

I mean, jeeze gamefreak, at the very least let us walk into the one building we can interact with in that hallway after we stop necrozma. I wanna see more blue-skinned people and talk to them! I would even tolerate another city like Lumiose if it meant I got to explore Megalopolis.

Also, this game overused the word ultra. It ruined the word ultra for me. Ultrabeasts were fine. Ultra-Wormholes are pushing it but ok, since the Ultrabeasts originally came from them. But there's no reason for literally everything relating to them being named Ultra. Unless of course we're meant to assume that everything that's not in the main pokemon world is in Ultrabeast territory. And that'd just be stupid.

Ultra Space. Ultra Recon Squad. Ultra Megalopolis. Ultra Deep Sea. Ultra Jungle. Ultra Desert. Ultra Plant. Ultra Forest. Ultra Crater. Ultra Ruin. Ultra Space Wilds.

Has Ultra lost all meaning or status as a word for anybody else yet?

1. Ultra Megalopolis being a corridor. As a fan of worldbuilding, I wasn't expecting much, maybe a house or two, but being a glorified corridor was just annoying. Noticing a bunch of people cowering/celebrating isn't enough - I would like to actually meet these people instead of just seeing them offscreen. I want to walk around, visit houses and get free items like in any other jrpg instead of walking through a bland corridor. Personally, I would've included a couple of houses where NPCs talk about Necrozma, the URS, and Poipole after the climax. That way, Ultra Megalopolis feels more alive, provides exposition, and fleshes out the URS.
  2. Ultra Recon Squad. They weren't fleshed out enough, so I ended up not caring too much about Zossie and Dulse - they pretty much felt like generic 'mysterious' characters who only appeared for exposition. Wasted opportunity imo.
  3. Rotomdex. Rotom, buddy, please be quiet and let me see the map. It's weird to me how there's no map for locations like Aether Paradise and the worlds in Ultra Space.

There are a lot of things I like about Alola and Gen VII in general, but for the first time in my life I regret buying a Pokemon game. SM felt rushed, but at the end of the day I was content with the game and enjoyed myself. USUM, on the other hand, was a disappointment. Well, it is my fault in a way. I could have waited for reviews, but I decided to put my faith in Game Freak after I saw the Megalopolis trailer. I decided to avoid spoilers so I could be surprised.

Of course, USUM did some things right - it made Alola feel more alive and made my personal journey more meaningful in a way. We had side quests, background Pokemon, interact-able Pokemon, Mantine surfing etc. but those were all things that could have been added as a DLC. The story was worse, some important scenes were axed (i.e Lillie scene on Exeggutor island), character arcs were unfinished or messed up so they no longer make sense in the story (Lusamine was crazy and then suddenly ok?) and I missed the climax when I blinked. The story had so much potential to be amazing but it failed spectacularly. The SM story was pretty good, for Pokemon game standards, so I thought it could only get better...

After I saw the small additions like adding a floor to Tide Song Hotel, I thought they had opened up more areas in Alola but in the end they were all just little things that didn't add a lot of substance. I won't even talk about the disappointment called Ultra Megalopolis. Then we have RotomDex which started out as a really nice and cute feature, being able to "chat" with Rotom and all... until it started giving me advice every five seconds. Which person at Game Freak thought this was a good idea? I haven't reached the post-game stuff like Team Rainbow Rocket so I can't comment on those yet. I just hope the things I haven't reached yet will make me change my mind about feeling disappointed with the game. :(

Last edited:
Everytime Rotom does or says ANYTHING! My God they made him annoying. I liked the idea of the Roto-Loto and whatnot but I have to poke this stupid thing every three seconds or it gets sad. Far worse than that though is the fact that they think they're being cute by having give advice "you didn't ask for" which blocks the map and can't be skipped. If there's an option to turn this stuff off I apparently haven't found it yet. I was hoping this would be fixed in a patch.

Disappointed that they barely added any new clothes, hairstyles, or other customization elements. (They better bring back dresses in Gen 8 or I will not be happy camper.:mad:)
I would have liked more focus on the Ultra Recon Squad, since they don't do much outside of tell you all of their plans and battle you from time to time. Similarly, I wish Ultra Megalopolis amounted to more other than just a place to battle Ultra Necrozma. Lastly, I wish Necrozma itself had more buildup around it before Lusamine went in to fight it and failed (Lol).
I wish there would have been more changes to the E4, such as including Nanu and Hapu this time around. (Seriously, that was a huge missed opportunity.:()
I'm mixed on Lillie. On one hand I'm happy her role was changed so that it wasn't exactly the same as in Sun and Moon. But on the other hand, Lillie is my bestie and I missed not having her with me when I went to Exeggutor Island :( (Thankfully she played a large part in RR so I guess I'm fine with her doing a bit less in the main plot).

So, so, so many missed opportunities for lore on the Ultra Recon Squad, and Ultra Beasts as a whole throughout the game - all I know about them is that they're from a world with advanced technology with limited capability to hold Necrozma as they try to find a way to help it

That's fine, I guess, but I'd still like to know more about the people of the URS - why were they chosen? How'd they get a Solgaleo/Lunala? If Poipole is their version of a Starter Pokémon, are there others like it?

They should have kept the Looker/Anabel post-game plot as well, because that added a lot to the Beasts' terrifying origins, which coupled with being able to go to their worlds would've been a lot more unnerving

Stakataka has an awesome design, but man is that mon slow. I can't see myself using it in battle.

Nothing trick room won't fix... in fact Stakataka is one of the most powerful of the UB if placed in a trick room. (Gyro ball in a meta game of speedy pokemon, they end up going last while you use this bad boy first. It is going to hurt!)

Nothing trick room won't fix... in fact Stakataka is one of the most powerful of the UB if placed in a trick room. (Gyro ball in a meta game of speedy pokemon, they end up going last while you use this bad boy first. It is going to hurt!)

I'll have to check that out. I often forget about Trick Room.

There's an infuriating amount of "Two Rocket/Skull Grunts who fight you individually instead of engaging in a double battle" that do nothing more than waste time

The fact they each have one pokémon is only adding insult to injury

Although, given how the game chugs during a double battle, maybe that's for the best...
Now if only they had more pokemon variety, as there's loads of dark and poison types now, so stop using the same three pokemon, please?

Last edited:
Oh, man, this thread had me LMAOing.

I have to agree with most of you. RotoDex is annoying, although I can deal with it. What really bothered me was, as many people said, the underwhelming Ultra Recon Squad and especially Ultra Megalopolis. I want to know more about this world! What's their history? What are the people like? How do they deal with living in darkness all the time?

I wish there was a library with books you could read. It would be so awesome to be able to read books from another world.

There's an infuriating amount of "Two Rocket/Skull Grunts who fight you individually instead of engaging in a double battle" that do nothing more than waste time

The fact they each have one pokémon is only adding insult to injury

Although, given how the game chugs during a double battle, maybe that's for the best...
Now if only they had more pokemon variety, as there's loads of dark and poison types now, so stop using the same three pokemon, please?
I'd rather have the somewhat laggy Double Battles. They're more fun and make sense-are we just supposed to believe that the other Grunt, known for underhanded tactics and such, is just standing idly by while their partner gets crushed?

I think it would have been even cooler too if Lillie accompanied you for those battles.

And now having finished Episode Rainbow Rocket, I can add it to the list of "Interesting Premise, Lackluster Execution" - which is basically the seventh generation in a nutshell

Spending an hour and a half navigating warp tiles, spin tiles, and meowth statues isn't fun

Learning more about how each of the villains got to Alola would've been a lot better, or maybe even being able to go to those worlds to undo the villains' victories via double battles with the help of Grimsley (Ghetsis and Zinzolin), Anabel (Archie and Matt), Cynthia (Cyrus and Charon), Wally (Maxie and Courtney), Looker (Lysandre and Xerosic) and Red (Giovanni and Archer)

Rainbow Rocket was disappointing; I would say the Delta Episode was a better post-game story. Game Freak made RR literal fan-service with barely any depth or even a glass of water. Now, I do appreciate their effort with the concept, especially given how USUM is the last hurrah for the (3)DS/handheld era. In my opinion, it’s a grandiose way to kind of make these stories come full circle. But wow, was this lazily done. I really hope future story driven post-game plots have more substance than this seemingly poorly written fan-fiction. I don’t even know what the purpose of the Sophocles mini-mini pre-quest was with the Festival Plaza, other than saying “Hey! This is actually a canon concept in the game and not some separate universe none of the in-game characters are aware of!” And furthermore, Sophocles comes to you of all people to help with the intrusion, when the two of you barely have any development at all. Rather than Molayne, the police, or other adult figures.

Then, they took the most notorious villainous bosses from twenty years of Pokémon game play, and simply put them in rooms waiting to eventually be defeated by the PC. After about an hour of warp tiles, statue manipulation, and spin tiles, you defeat every boss at their apex of power (curse you Lysandre and your Yveltal). And all of that was only centralized to one building, on an island where the rest of the inhabitants (and the world by extension, since the takeover happened on live television) are glaringly ignorant to what is literally happening 5 minutes away from where they are standing. I mean wow-I know Kalos was bad with Lysandre’s national threat (and only like, 7 people responding to that) and Poni Island with the darkening of their sky due to Necrozma, but literally no one showed up barring Lillie (obviously), a reformed Guzma, and surprise guest Colress. Where was Hau? Professor Kukui and Burnet? The many police officers we see in the game? The Kahunas? The Tapu? Elite Four? The urgency of it all fell flat for me since the game doesn’t even seem to regard Rainbow Rocket as a threat.

The conclusion of it too, was lackluster. Each time you defeat a boss, barring only Ghetsis really, they all basically ponder “Gee, if you would have battled me in my own world I would have most likely completely failed in all aspects of my goals.” Giovanni is defeated and is remarkably accepting with his loss, leaves quietly, and everything is restored to normal. Faba is only demoted for essentially selling out his corporation and region (and possibly evoking serious harm to Lillie, Lusamine, Alola, and by extent the world), Lusamine seems fine despite being injected with a heavy dose of UB toxins (most likely courtesy of Nihilego), there doesn’t appear to be any consequences of Giovanni messing with Ultra Wormholes, and everything returns to how it was as quickly as it changed in the first place.

Oh, and it seems Giovanni may try this whole shenanigan again elsewhere, through presently unknown means.

Another annoying point was that I wished they would have let Guzma do something else besides hold two Grunts at bay, physically (which comes across as silly after the novelty ceases since you’re regularly defeating Grunts at this point by yourself). For example, they could have given him a different interaction with the Grunts after you defeat a boss, to make him look less static. What I really wanted to see happen was Guzma gathering up Team Skull for one last hurrah and storming the castle, doing battle with Team Rainbow Rocket grunts.

There was a lot more I could have seen them doing.
  • Each of the villainous bosses could have tried to implement their ideologies in Alola, barely caring about working with Giovanni; Archie could have taken Kyogre to the Melemele Sea to try and unleash torrential rain in Alola; Maxie could have taken Groudon to Wela Volcano Park to have Groudon begin terraforming the islands into a large continent; Cyrus could have taken to Mount Lanakila or Altar of Sunne/Moone with Dialga/Palkia to try to create yet another new world, opening up a huge distortion in the sky during the process; Giovanni, Ghetsis and Lysandre would remain at the castle since their goals aren’t as explicit in this regard. Naturally, you would travel to each location and battle your way to each Leader, defeating them and stopping their plans while Colress sends them back to their dimension. I also think each Island Kahuna could team up with you to battle the Grunts blocking your path. They could have had Red fly to Aether Paradise after seeing Giovanni on television, given that he and Blue are in the region.
  • There should have been more detailed backstabbing and subterfuge. For all of Ghetsis’ talk of using Giovanni, we saw nothing past his words. Outside of the obligatory Archie vs Maxie small-talk, there was no betrayal or headbutting between any of the villainous leaders. It would have been satisfying to see Giovanni, Ghetsis or anyone else really be understandably upset about Lysandre threatening to kill everyone (let alone, building such a device (again) within Giovanni’s own castle). There could have been secret collusions, such as Cyrus being a wild card and working with Ghetsis or Lysandre teaming up with Maxie to defeat Archie and so on. I really wanted to see Ghetsis make an effective power-play. Shoot, even have you briefly team up with Giovanni in a “enemy of my enemy is my friend” moment, only to go back to battling each other after all is said and done. You don’t have some of the greatest villainous minds all in one building, in basically complete solidarity.
  • I felt that there should have been more Multi Battles. Like @Twilight-Kun astutely pointed out, there were many occasions were several RR Grunts would battle you consecutively rather than together. Notably, the fights right before a boss room. Lillie easily could have shown up right before such fight, battle alongside you, enter and interact with a GRAMP leader (GRAMP= Galactic, Rocket, Aqua, Magma, Plasma, etc.), watch you battle one-on-one, return to the bedroom for healing, and then repeat for the next boss. That would have been better character development and world-building, since these people are essentially invading her home and both her brother and mother aren’t here this time for any kind of reassurance. In fact, they could have doubled these interactions as characterization for Lillie and how she’s slowly getting the hang of battling, courtesy of teaming up with the PC. Backstory on her Clefairy would have been nice too.
  • Rainbow Rocket should have had the Team Rocket Admins make an appearance, with each of them guarding and serving as a personal assistant to a villainous boss. If you’re bringing Team Rocket back, you might as well bring them back in their full glory. I highly doubt Archer, Ariana, Petrel, and Proton would pass up an opportunity to serve their admired leader in such a bold conquest for power.
  • Maybe this one is a stretch, but Mother Beast Lusamine could have made an appearance, as the penultimate boss. If Giovanni did indeed drug Lusamine with Nihilego’s toxins, they could have had Nihilego inadvertently fuse with her again instead. However since the fusion didn’t have much time to stabilize as well as Lusamine’s sheer willpower against being such an abomination, they de-fuse after the battle (since Nebby isn’t here this time to manually make them de-fuse). That would have made the climax better and more perilous, pay tribute to Sun & Moon, provide a challenging battle, and really cement Giovanni’s position as someone who is scarily talented with Ultra Beast and Wormhole phenomenon, as well as the damage this man did with his Rainbow Rocket scheme.

The only thing I really enjoyed about this post-game experience was the fact that I had no reservations using a Legendary Pokémon to battle in-game Trainers. I actually had a whole head-canon that Lillie and the player go find and temporarily catch Necrozma to battle Team Rainbow Rocket. A Lunala/Solgaleo then appeared from another dimension (the Nebby of Sun & Moon) and willingly offered to temporarily fuse with Necrozma to battle as Ultra Necrozma, since our Nebby is supposedly recovering from the whole ordeal with Necrozma. Then, cue me using Ultra Necrozma against every Legendary Team Rainbow Rocket used (sadly, Mega Mewtwo Y knocked it out, but Decidueye came in and ended things like a badass).

Last edited:
  • It was very similar to Sun and Moon, especially before going to Poni Island
  • Rotom Dex is cute but I wish you could scroll through their dialogue faster because it blocks the map
  • Personally I thought the story between Lillie, Gladion, and Lusamine was really interesting but a lot of it was cut out (I particularly liked the scenes with Lillie on Exeggutor Island and Lillie finally standing up to Lusamine and both of those were cut)
  • Only 5 new pokemon and one of them is an event
  • The trailers really hyped up Ultra Megalopolis but there isn't anything to do there except fight Ultra Necrozma
I hate that they continue to insist on making certain items like the King’s Rock available only through rare wild encounters (Hawlucha), and only at 5% chances at that. I don’t want to wait until the post-game for a bloody Politoed, but there’s no satisfaction in catching a fully-evolved one through SOS either.
You can also get King's Rock at fishing spots because I managed to fish a few up, but yeah I don't like that either.

No new Alolan forms (seriously Game Freak you gave us new Mega’s for ORAS, why not USUM?!!)

The fact that after you reach maximum affection with it, Rotom will never shut up.

Some of the new Ultra Beasts are lackluster IMO. Not to mention poor Staktaka got screwed over with the terrible Rock/Steel type combo.

The lack of new Alola formes in USUM is ridiculous. It is a pretty inexcusable decision.

Also, this so called Kantonian Gym feels like an unfinished mess. It is very underwhelming and also a teaser for people who wanted proper Gyms in Alola.

An other thing is the teasers: gyms coming to Alola in the future is teased, the Battle Pyramid is teased, following Pokemon is teased by Hau having it, etc.

If you don't wanna add those features beloved by many fans, then please do not tease them in game!

Last edited:
Disappointed we didn't get any new Alola Forms but it can't be helped~

I mainly dislike that every time I'm accidentally sucked into a portal in Ultra Space, after I leave, I MUST start over from the beginning. WHY can't I continue where I left off, or at least have the option along with "Return where you came from?", such as "Continue flying into Ultra Space?". It makes it so much more tedious to reach farther light years away.

Also, I think it was a HUGE missed opportunity to only make Poni Island dark after Necrozma steals the light instead of all of Alola. Like, what, did they think I wouldn't check? Isn't it said that Necrozma steals all of the world's light? Then why does only Poni Island lack it? -________- Plus, if you were only gonna make it for Poni Island, some dialogue changes wouldn't be too much to ask, would it? Like, shouldn't some people be a bit confused why suddenly there's no light on the route their standing on when it was there 2 seconds ago?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom