• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What do you NOT like about USUM?

My 'favorite thing' about rotom dex? If I say no to its advice of healing my pokemon while I'm standing right outside the pokemon center, or taking a picture of every pokemon I'm evolving from mass grinding to complete my alola dex, etc? It seems to always need to be poked right after because it's making that sad face. And then I have to click for the roulette because otherwise my OCD will go crazy seeing the sad face or the glowing eyes.

Tone it the fek down, Rotomdex. You are needier than my cats in the middle of the night.

I don't like that Rotom cannot tolerate a party member with low HP. He will literally spam "You should heal it somehow" after every action possible.

I wish we could tell Rotom to heal the mon himself.

I like the Rotom dex and Roto powers, but Rotom talks too much.

While I love these games, especially since they're my last hurrah in Pokemon, there is one thing that continues to irk me.

The dex is too big to the point that finding certain Mons becomes next to impossible, especially if they have low encounter rates.

This is the same problem I had with Kalos. Even though the dex in both cases is broken down into separate "sections" it's still hard to find certain Mons when the selection is this huge. This seems to especially plague the new gen Mons, as they often have low encounter rates and are outnumbered nearly 5:1 in their respective areas. Even the "common" new guys can be harder to find than the oldies. For example, in the span of 1 day, starting from the morning, I ran into roughly 10 Rattata, but only 1 Yungoos, all in the same area. And I think they have the same encounter rate in the various areas they dwell in. This problem also hurt Kalos, making certain newbies harder to find than the older ones. That's the biggest gripe I have right now, as it makes things like minimalist runs (which I tend to perform, as I want to try out what the new Mons are capable of during their respective gen) very difficult. And to rub salt on the wound is that starting from Gen VI there are fewer new Pokemon introduced per gen than before, making the selection process even tougher, as it limits your options even further. So the next time they decide to do a large dex, I would like to see more new Pokemon and have their numbers and/or encounter rates higher per route.

I was so, SO, disappointed with the Necrozma crisis and the underwhelming usage of the Ultra Recon Squad.

It's even more disappointing because I know they are capable of writing exciting stories - even more so with an established plot for additional versions!! What happened to those people who brought Platinum? Have they forgotten what they were able to do with ORAS?? Where's the ambitious crafting from B2W2 where they were able to develop both story and exploration to the point of making them full standalone versions despite being sequels??? I thought they were fond of breaking patterns, but making enhanced versions even worse than their initial pairs is not really a good move.

I'm not done with Mina's trial yet, but from the looks of it, it seems that the only thing left after it is the league. No more boss battles. No more Lusamine. At this point, I prefer Lusamine turning into Mother Jellyfish in Sun and Moon - at least she was a challenge. Necrozma/Ultra Necrozma was a pushover during the climax. I wasn't sure about its typing after it fused with Solgaleo, so I just used Salazzle's Toxic for a guaranteed poisoning. A few switch-outs and a couple of Lemonades later and RIP. Normally, they shouldn't really be that weakened from status effects such as poison or paralysis, but Necrozma didn't have healing moves like Rest or whatever (if it DID have healing moves, then fricks the AI is horrible). I guess the battle could have been tougher if I were given the chance to catch it instead of faint it. However, there's no doubt it was involved in one of the worst crisis plots ever. The Kyurem forms were also easy in B2W2, but in that case the boss battle against Ghetsis took place right afterwards, which made for a great "holy sh*t" moment.

Maybe if I hadn't played Sun and Moon, I'd feel differently, but this is really disappointing. The overall story of Ultra Sun and Moon was utterly disappointing.

While I do enjoy the games, I have my fair share of complaints, so I figured I'd bring them up now before talking about what I like about the games.

The lack of new Alolan forms is disappointing. Since they had new Ultra Beasts, they could have easily made new Alolan forms and more people would have been happy with that given that they'd be treated like new Pokemon. It was disappointing, but I think it didn't bother me after awhile. It might have been a good thing in a way since new Alolan forms might have made it harder for me to choose my teams. Plus, I kind of appreciate being able to use the games as a way to try out older Pokemon I never used before or train Pokemon that I haven't used in ages. There are some Pokemon that I like more primarily because I finally got to raise them in these games, but it was still a pretty big missed opportunity nonetheless.

I really don't like how they handled Lusamine's character. They have her act the same when you first battle her at the Aether Foundation, but then Lusamine suddenly changes when she talks about protecting Alola's light and stopping Necrozma. It might have been an attempt to give her more depth, but it comes off much more like trying to down play her clearly emotionally abusive/manipulative behavior towards her children by saying that she was really a good person all along. She doesn't suffer any consequences for her actions, unless we count her losing to Necrozma, it makes Lillie and Gladion's motivations kind of questionable given this change in motivation when they really shouldn't and I don't like that she seemingly has a happier relationship with her children after the events of the story. The last part could have worked if it felt more warranted, but it really doesn't.

I don't like how they downplayed Lillie's role, especially with eliminating scenes like the trip to Exeggutor Island and her confrontation with her mother. The scene at Exeggutor Island was a cute bonding moment and it was replaced with just fighting off some random Pinsir before getting the flute on your own. That might have been done as a way to tie into the whole lesson about how everyone needs help from each other, but I didn't like that it came at the expense at a nice scene. I can kind of understand not showing her confronting her mother in a way since she wasn't the big boss at the end this time around, but I do feel like her story loses some impact without something akin to that. It was pretty major for Lillie to stand up to her mother like that, so I wish that we got something similar to it here. She still has some good development, but I think that having less focus weakens it, or at least it feels that way when we have her role in Sun/Moon to compare it with.

The Ultra Recon Squad weren't particularly interesting. They were inserted just at different points of the game to be the mysterious characters that you sometimes had battles against. I don't think that this bothered me too much, but I don't think that they were too interesting either.

I was disappointed that there weren't a lot of changes until near the end of the storyline. It was still fun exploring through Alola again and having different Pokemon to raise did help to make the experience still feel different, but I was still hoping for something a bit more in terms of overall changes.

Like a lot of people, I really didn't like how Rotom was handled. It was kind of weird to talk with Rotom at first, but it was fine until it kept talking. Even starting off with "here's some advice you didn't ask for" is terrible. Who thought that was a good idea? The items you get from Rotom are great, but they basically made it so annoying, which is strange since one aspect of Sun/Moon that surprised me was how Rotom wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought it could be. It was eventually easy for me to just ignore Rotom, but that still isn't a good thing and it still basically prevents me from looking at the map until it finally stops talking.

While most of the Trials were improved upon, Mallow's trial was a really poor choice. It was fun to use Stouland to find the items you needed in Sun/Moon, but they changed it so you're just pointed in the direction and could avoid battling Pokemon by picking in certain areas. That just felt less enjoyable by making it more straightforward.

The clothing options are still pretty minimal. I was hoping that they'd improve the customization at least a bit here, but it's still way too small and version exclusive colors was still a terrible idea.

In terms of minor issues, I wasn't a fan of Hala not being in the Elite 4 this time around. They probably wanted to have something different for the Elite 4, but I liked that he was involved. It made the Elite 4 feel more like your Island Challenge has come full circle by facing off against the first Island Kahuna.

I enjoyed the Team Rainbow Rocket episode, but I do wish that more of the grunts had more than one Pokemon, or at least that the grunts at the doors were a double battle instead of two single battles with one Pokemon.

I did like Ultra Necrozma's design and its battle music, but I didn't like how they made the Z crystal for Ultra Necrozma to have a secondary function extremely similar to a Mega Stone. Why did they just slap on "Ultra" to a familiar mega evolution-ish feature?

What do I dislike about USUM? Almost everything relating to Episode RR, and I've only gotten past their Festival Plaza takeover.

Seriously. I'm training my full team to level 100, EV'ing them, even Hyper Training them, just so I can speedblitz this shambolic excuse of a "plot" without wasting too much time. I intend to bulldoze my way through and never speak of it again.

I'm still grump about Ultra Megalopolis. And that the recon squad was split between both versions. I mean come on, there's only four of them why on earth would you make it so we basically only see TWO of them beyond the brief cameo the other two get when you go to their city-painted hallway?

I mean, jeeze gamefreak, at the very least let us walk into the one building we can interact with in that hallway after we stop necrozma. I wanna see more blue-skinned people and talk to them! I would even tolerate another city like Lumiose if it meant I got to explore Megalopolis.

Also, this game overused the word ultra. It ruined the word ultra for me. Ultrabeasts were fine. Ultra-Wormholes are pushing it but ok, since the Ultrabeasts originally came from them. But there's no reason for literally everything relating to them being named Ultra. Unless of course we're meant to assume that everything that's not in the main pokemon world is in Ultrabeast territory. And that'd just be stupid.

Ultra Space. Ultra Recon Squad. Ultra Megalopolis. Ultra Deep Sea. Ultra Jungle. Ultra Desert. Ultra Plant. Ultra Forest. Ultra Crater. Ultra Ruin. Ultra Space Wilds.

Has Ultra lost all meaning or status as a word for anybody else yet?
ULTRA balls. Oh the humanity!

anyway,
the new ultra beasts are UGLY! I don't even know what they're suppost to be!
And, the ultra wormhole makes it to easy to get legendairies. I got a registeel before I even finished my chalenge! Not that I dislike it or anything...

One: Rotom's nagging to open your bag everytime your mon breaks a nail
Two: RR only being in one place, wheras I thought you had to chase them down all over Alola
Three: Your trainer. Just. Won't. Stop. Smiling. Seriously! This was a problem in the original S/M. Why are you smiling when Guzma says he's going to beat you down, or when Ghetsis threatens to kill you?

There's so many things I don't like about USUM besides the RotomDex:
Protag's lack of facial expressions
Ultra Megalopolis being just a corridor
Shinies being too common in the Ultra Warp Ride
Lack of new Alola forms

I did like Ultra Necrozma's design and its battle music, but I didn't like how they made the Z crystal for Ultra Necrozma to have a secondary function extremely similar to a Mega Stone. Why did they just slap on "Ultra" to a familiar mega evolution-ish feature?
Same reason the Primals exist: because it's technically stronger than a Mega Evolution (which makes "Mega" Rayquaza an odd choice - as far as I'm concerned, that's Primal Rayquaza and nothing is going to change my mind about it)
Your trainer. Just. Won't. Stop. Smiling. Seriously! This was a problem in the original S/M. Why are you smiling when Guzma says he's going to beat you down, or when Ghetsis threatens to kill you?
Because the trainer knows they're stronger than they are and is goading them on so he can get more money so they can afford more clothing

Because the trainer knows they're stronger than they are and is goading them on so he can get more money so they can afford more clothing

Unless that trainer is mine and Ghetsis really does kill you.

(Who here all lost to Ghetsis at the climax of B/W? I'm pretty sure Ghetsis wouldn't let you, Cheren, Alder or N scurry away to the Pokemon Center. xD )

-Rotom, and how he doesn't shut up and how you can't make him shut up.
-The Trainer's School STILL being required to progress in the story.
-Unskippable tutorials in general. Just... please, Game Freak, not everyone who enjoys these games are first-time players.

... that's all I can think of, actually. I can handle the cutscenes and the plot being mostly the same, as well as the apparently bad story they went with for USUM.

Three: Your trainer. Just. Won't. Stop. Smiling. Seriously! This was a problem in the original S/M. Why are you smiling when Guzma says he's going to beat you down, or when Ghetsis threatens to kill you?
They did seem to improve this in USUM. I think they smile a little less, or at least managed to make it less creepy. But this needs to be fixed majorly. UB is attacking: everyone is worried and you just smile. Just sit there smiling.

I have really mixed feelings on Lusamine's characterization. On one hand, she was a more likable character, but on the other hand some of the changes to her made the main plot less well-written than SuMo. Thankfully, Guzma's already great characterization just ended up getting better in this game, since we actually get to see him make good on the redemption they hinted at in SuMo.

They did seem to improve this in USUM. I think they smile a little less, or at least managed to make it less creepy. But this needs to be fixed majorly. UB is attacking: everyone is worried and you just smile. Just sit there smiling.

Well your character's default model is smiling. There is no 'unsmile' he/she can make, unless it's a real cutscene like in the case with Lusamine getting sucked into Ultra Space. Go change your clothes? Smile. Go battle the Kahuna? Smile. Battle Necrozma? Smile. I mean geez, even Hau knows how to scowl or look shocked, and he's ALWAYS happy.

Trainer's face must get real sore.

I have really mixed feelings on Lusamine's characterization. On one hand, she was a more likable character, but on the other hand some of the changes to her made the main plot less well-written than SuMo. Thankfully, Guzma's already great characterization just ended up getting better in this game, since we actually get to see him make good on the redemption they hinted at in SuMo.

Lusamine would have been much better if they added more foreshadowing up to the point before you battled her. I mean, they released a brand-new game, but for most of the beginning all they did was rewrite some of the original script. Guzma was the exception, because they actually created brand-new scenes of him before the post-game itself. When RR hit, he got even more time.

For an extra $50 I think they should have totally revamped the game and story. It gave me more of a 'revised book' impression rather than 'new' anything.

Too much of a cash grab. 98% of the game was the same and the changes - Lusamine is good now even though she still murders Pokemon and the bad guy being a Pokemon made things worse. It's the only "upgraded" game I wouldn't recommend over the original. I also preferred the original Champion

Some of the trials were too OP for the part of the game they were at (Looking at you fire), whilst the big bad was 10 levels higher than it should've been. It was higher levelled than the Champion ffs.

Also they ruined Lana

Putting things in cryostasis is like, the opposite of murder

This is kinda true though

Pretty sure you die if you free yourself. I don't think those Pokemon were alive lol

Also she does try to murder Nebby

Yeah... US/UM Lusamine isn't less of a bad person as her original counterpart. She just doesn't get her behind properly kicked. She still froze gods know how many pokemon in cryostasis. Even if in pokemon universe they can survive such things, even characters in the game do not think it's okay so.. yeah. It might not 100% be murder but it's still a traumatizing act to put on a pokemon who thought she loved them.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom