• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you NOT miss about the older games?

Previous battle facilities starting over because of one loss. I seriously hated that one screw-up meant you had to start all over again and I'm glad Sword and Shield went for the win/loss accumulation idea instead.

My recent replay of Platinum reminded me of something I'm glad is gone: no more Mon species names in all caps. It's a really minor thing, I know, but it's also bit of a pet peeve to me. I just feels more natural to me to have the name of the species with only the first letter in caps, just like a name, instead of just something like PIKACHU in big letters. I'm not really sure why it bothers me so much, but it does, so I'm glad later gens did away with it.

Forgive the double post, but something else came to mind that I'm glad is gone. No more switch training, halved EXP gains, and the EXP Share as a held item. My replay of Platinum has reminded me of how tedious those three point are. Trying to grind up you Mon is hard enough in past gens, but when you have to resort to switch training, which also results in the EXP getting halved in the process really drags it out more than it needs to be. The EXP Share as a held item is also a pain, as while it does eliminate the need to switch train, it still halves the EXP gained in the process. Honestly, Gen 6 giving us the now buffed EXP Share, and later Sword/Shield hard wiring it into the games as a whole, was genius and it makes grinding so much more tolerable and faster.

Forgive the double post, but something else came to mind that I'm glad is gone. No more switch training, halved EXP gains, and the EXP Share as a held item.

Amen. Granted, the "modern" exp. share makes the games easier, but Pokemon hasn't been really that hard to begin with. My only complaint with Sword/ Shield about this is that they no longer make exp. share optional. They should, in case someone wants to do it the old-fashioned way, or just to avoid over-training your Pokemon so much so that the main battles become laughably easy.

Amen. Granted, the "modern" exp. share makes the games easier, but Pokemon hasn't been really that hard to begin with. My only complaint with Sword/ Shield about this is that they no longer make exp. share optional. They should, in case someone wants to do it the old-fashioned way, or just to avoid over-training your Pokemon so much so that the main battles become laughably easy.
In my case, it makes soloing the game impossible, which is problematic considering I'm planning to do that with every single evolution line.

- HMs, generally - especially in Gen 1 when they couldn't be unlearned
- Lack of running shoes/roller blades and bikes not being able to do anything special but move faster
- Not being able to select key items for quick use
- Limited inventory
- Limited moves for the Pokémon; limited attack types (ie: Dragon Rage being the only Dragon-type move, which was a set damage attack); limited attacks in general
- Physical/Special split being based solely on types instead of how the moves are used
- Cities not having unique musical themes
- Bugs and glitches (Ghost-type moves were supposed to be super effective against Psychic Pokes, not useless against them), except for MissingNo..

I Think that covers it.

Last edited:
-The clunky PC boxes system of the first two generations
-Moves like bind preventing you from attacking (in Gen I, I forget if it is also in Gen II)
-TMs being limited use
-Pokemon following feature
-Sprites
-Top down camera and 2D/2.5D graphics
-Only being able to play as a boy
-Lack of character customization
-(Newly fixed in Gen VIII) random battles in caves. Those are not missed. At all.

Virtually every Pokémon being able to learn Toxic by TM never made much sense, so I'm glad that's gone.

Also, in terms of aesthetics rather than gameplay, I'm glad they dropped the whole "Version" thing in the English titles. Coinciding with X and Y was nice and tidy, but I can't help but wish they'd gotten there at least a bit sooner so we could've avoided "Black Version 2" which runs completely counter to the fact that the game is a sequel. It makes it sound like "a second version of Black" which is more in-line with what Emerald, Platinum, etc. were to their respective base games.

Why? That was nice.

Because personally it does nothing for me. Besides, it being the first Pokemon in your party kind of ruined the novelty for me, too. There are cute Pokemon that I'd love to have out hanging out with me, but they're never the ones that are first in my party because they aren't the best fighters. Like in HG, it was always Feraligatr following me which wouldn't be my choice to say the least.

I heard that in Lets Go it's actually completely optional? If that's the case, that's the direction they need to take in the series going forward. I always hated how it was forced on me in HG/SS.

I heard that in Lets Go it's actually completely optional? If that's the case, that's the direction they need to take in the series going forward. I always hated how it was forced on me in HG/SS.

It's completely optional, save for Pikachu and Eevee always being on your shoulder/head, but that's more a conceit of those specific games since they're remakes of Yellow and as such the Starters never evolve.

That being said, the system in Let's Go isn't 100% flawless - there's no bike in those games, so the only way to get around faster than running is by letting certain Pokémon out of their ball and riding on them. (And even then, only Persian, Arcanine, Rapidash, Rhyhorn, and Tauros move at an increased pace.) But that's a kink that would be very easily worked out by just bringing the bike back (already done) and having the following Pokémon return to its ball when you're on the bike, as was the way it worked in Yellow and HGSS.

Definitely the lack of physical/special split. Going back to games pre-Gen 4 is so annoying because a lot of pokemon are flat out much worse because their movepool doesn't compliment their typing (physical attackers with typing that are special based). Gengar had it the worst, both its typings are physical based when he has low attack and high special attack.

Wait, you can ride on Persian? Just how big those things are? *checks Datadex* 0.99 m? Uhm... okay.

A visual aid:

persian.jpg

(It never looked very comfortable to me; yes the PC is a child but a cat's anatomy is just not built for that kind of thing.)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom