• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you NOT miss about the older games?

The problem with HMs is that most of them we weren’t that greats moves. Surf and Waterfall were the best, while was Fly alright. Rock Smash and Cut are weak beyond words, Strength and Rock Climb are outclassed by Return/Frustration and Double Edge.

As much as I love Sinnoh, I’ll admit that a reason why I can’t put Sinnoh as my favorite region is because you need to dedicate a slot for HMs whenever your traveling, especially through Mt. Coronet when you are confronting Team Galactic. If HMs were better moves in general on the level of Surf/Waterfall, I think it could be accepted back. Though I personally prefer not to sacrifice a move slot and rather keep it a key item instead.

I don't get why people found it intrusive. It was fine for me.

Of course, I also like Navi so my character judgement might not be the best.

I don't get why people found it intrusive. It was fine for me.

Of course, I also like Navi so my character judgement might not be the best.

Like prog rocker said, it talked too much. The problem with both Navi and the Rotom Dex is that they interrupt you too often to give you tutorials and advice that you don't really need. In addition, Rotom Dex tried too hard to be your friend, especially in USUM where it tried to force pointless conversations that I wasn't interested in having. Rotom would be better served trying to be a digital assistant and help you navigate your adventure. Having a companion would be nice, and I appreciate that that's what they're going for, but that's not going to work well without improvements in AI so it can adapt its personality to your preferences.

I already found it unbearable in the original Sun/Moon lol. Haven't played any of the Ultra versions, but I would've thought it's virtually impossible for it to become even more annoying and intrusive?

I already found it unbearable in the original Sun/Moon lol. Haven't played any of the Ultra versions, but I would've thought it's virtually impossible for it to become even more annoying and intrusive?
In Sun & Moon, it stops after you beat the League. In USUM, it won't stop. Ever.

Like prog rocker said, it talked too much. The problem with both Navi and the Rotom Dex is that they interrupt you too often to give you tutorials and advice that you don't really need. In addition, Rotom Dex tried too hard to be your friend, especially in USUM where it tried to force pointless conversations that I wasn't interested in having. Rotom would be better served trying to be a digital assistant and help you navigate your adventure. Having a companion would be nice, and I appreciate that that's what they're going for, but that's not going to work well without improvements in AI so it can adapt its personality to your preferences.
Never happened with me.

In Sun & Moon, it stops after you beat the League. In USUM, it won't stop. Ever.

Nothing fundamental about the Rotom Dex in SM is different before or after the League, so it doesn't "stop" per se, it just runs out of story flags to respond to. But it still regurgitates one of ten or whatever dialogue lines whenever you boot up the game (and you have to let it finish talking before going into a menu or anything, 'cause otherwise it will repeat itself) before reverting to a Town Map. That's pretty much exactly what it did during the main storyline.

Though for my part, I'm willing to deal with the slight annoyance of the USUM Rotom Dex in exchange for O-Powers. At least it's doing something besides wasting the bottom screen.

Nothing fundamental about the Rotom Dex in SM is different before or after the League, so it doesn't "stop" per se, it just runs out of story flags to respond to. But it still regurgitates one of ten or whatever dialogue lines whenever you boot up the game (and you have to let it finish talking before going into a menu or anything, 'cause otherwise it will repeat itself) before reverting to a Town Map. That's pretty much exactly what it did during the main storyline.
Yes, but only talking one time once you boot up the game is pretty much stopping for me.

Yes, but only talking one time once you boot up the game is pretty much stopping for me.

Sure, but it's like going from Rotom saying something like 8% of the time to saying something only 1% of the time. It really wasn't that constant during the storyline of SM, especially not if you're the type who takes a while to play through the game.

Sure, but it's like going from Rotom saying something like 8% of the time to saying something only 1% of the time. It really wasn't that constant during the storyline of SM, especially not if you're the type who takes a while to play through the game.
Yes, but after playing through a lot of solo runs where I did an island per day, it was a lot for me.

HM'S!!! I get it. They were designed to keep you from progressing too far too soon but they seriously got carried away, especially by the time they got to Gen 4. You basically couldn't go anywhere unless half you team were devoted almost exclusively to HM moves. I also don't miss the cryptic and ridiculous crap you had to go through to IV and EV train your Pokemon. I'm all for whatever makes it quicker and easier to get to LV 100 once you reach post game. Hopefully they'll get rid of egg moves next cause those are my current pain in the ass.

Hopefully they'll get rid of egg moves next cause those are my current pain in the ass.

To be fair, egg moves are starting to wane. Thanks to Gen 8 using TMs and TRs together as a means of teaching moves (not counting tutors) means that many of the moves that were once egg moves are now either TRs or TMs, thus many Mons had their egg move totals dropped almost sharply. While, yes, there still are some egg moves, they're farther and fewer than ever before. If GF decides to keep the TM/TR idea, possibly modifying some along the way (like getting rid of Pay Day at a TM for something like Roost, for example), along with retaining the easy access ability for players to gain multiple TRs, then I can see egg moves going the way of the dodo eventually. I mean, teachable moves have improved over the years, going from 50 single-use TMs to 100 reusable TMs and now 100 of both TMs and TRs, it's only a matter of time before the egg move list ultimately disappears. And a lot of recent Mons have had rather small pools of egg moves (Greninja, for example, only really had roughly 6 in Gen 6, and now many of the moves that it had as egg moves, like Toxic Spikes, are now TRs, effectively eliminating the need to breed for those moves), so it's not like egg moves are getting an increase in demand. So, I can see egg moves eventually getting phased out if GF decides to keep the TM/TR idea for future games, since most egg moves (or at least the really desirable ones) are now TRs anyway. That is assuming GF does keep TRs in future games, since they have a bad tendency to dump an actual good idea upon the shift to another set of games/generation, such as the DexNav. Time will tell if that happens or not, but I could see egg move getting the boot if TMs, TRs, and Tutors continue to give easier accessibility to more desirable moves.

Now, back on subject, another thing that I'm glad is gone (which someone here mentioned but I'm too lazy to check who) is the need to stockpile Heart Scales in order to relearn a move. Don't get me wrong, I like Heart Scales, I find them fun, but the fact that Gen 8 gave us the ability to freely relearn moves without needing to stockpile them is a blessing. Also, by placing said move relearner in every Pokemon Center is brilliant, as usually move relearners are pretty deep in the game (Alola was the most guilty of this, as the move relearner was all the way at the freakin' League near the end of the game), so having easy access to them makes relearning any moves a breeze. This is also helpful because D-Max Mons tend to have some of their better moves in their backlog when you catch them at high levels, so it makes customizing them even easier. The fact that they can also relearn TRs if you deleted one but need it back is also helpful, as it eliminates the need to hunt down another copy, as well as eliminates the problem with TMs in Gen 4 and lower, where once it's gone, it's gone and you need another copy to regain the move. So, overall, I'm glad they got rid of the need for Heart Scales to relearn moves, as they are not always so easy to find unless you have easy access to Luvdisc to steal them from, instead making it free and easy-to-access.

Its a small detail, but certainly one that improves a playthrough: getting rid of the continuous "TOODOO TOODOO TOODOO" noise when a pokémon is in the red. Now it plays 2secs then it's off.

It was maddening to have to cope with Cynthia back in Platinum, and hear that god forsaken bell of death mocking you as her Garchomp walked all over your team.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom