• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you NOT miss about the older games?

I genuinely hate the low health music from Gen 5. That is the one exception to my otherwise unanimous praise for that Gen’s experimentation with dynamic music, because the low health theme pretty much only ever interrupts themes that are already good. Idc that I’m about to faint, I want to keep listening to Colress’s or the Gym Leader’s Last Pokémon theme.

It’s especially bad when you’re on a Gym Leader’s last Pokémon, with that epic, triumphant music playing, and then you take enough damage to end up in the red, and you win while that incessant peril music is still playing. Spoils the whole victory.

Another thing I'm glad is gone are the Weather Wars. While Gen 5 was the most well-known gen for them, since that's when they peaked, they really started in Gen 3, thanks to Groudon, Kyogre, and Tyrannitar getting their weather-based abilities (especially since Tyran's Sandstorm was basically all over the place in the metagame, constantly chipping away at everything that wasn't Rock, Ground, or Steel). It only got worse once Hippowdon got Sand Stream and Abomasnow got Snow Warning in Gen 4. And, of course, once Politoad got Drizzle and Ninetales got Drought via the Dream World escalated it to insanity, especially in Politoad's case, since Rain is clearly the most powerful weather of them all. Thank God Gen 6 nerfed weather abilities to the same level as their respective weather-based moves, as things were just going to hell in a handbasket if they allowed weather wars to continue. Really, only Groudon and Kyogre (and, by extension, Rayquaza) deserve weather-based abilities, as that's part of their whole schtick, so getting Primal forms (or Mega in Ray's case) with more manageable abilities that better represented their respective weather is more fitting for them than it is for something like Politoad. While I, myself, never really experienced the Weather Wars, as I rarely did online battles outside of a sadly defunct group that was formerly on these forums ages ago, I'm well aware of what an absolute nightmare they were from what I've seen and heard. You either abused weather or got abused by it. Glad those days are over.

The everywhere PC in LGPE/SwSh is nice, but I actually don't mind having to go to the stationary PC in older games. :p Something about it just feels "right," still. But perhaps that's just because I make frequent stops at Pokémon Centers anyway, and don't tend to change my team around very much.

The everywhere PC in LGPE/SwSh is nice, but I actually don't mind having to go to the stationary PC in older games. :p Something about it just feels "right," still.

I think this is a great example of light friction that makes the exploration gameplay that much more satisfying - you have to get your team in order before setting off for a challenging route or battle, and you're lightly penalised by the trip back if you don't take it seriously. Other great examples of deliberate awkwardness include wild encounters in caves and seas, giving such areas more 'teeth' and creating the impression that the world doesn't exist for the convenience of the player.

There's a limit though, and examples of awkwardness that I'm very glad are gone are the abysmal movepools of the early Gens. All I ask for is a good STAB move by level-up with a moderate Normal attack as backup, but some species can't even manage this (looking at you, Electrode, Ledian and Illumise). 'Different play styles' be damned, I'm not going through another Gold run by Leech Seed-ing everything to death again.

I think this is a great example of light friction that makes the exploration gameplay that much more satisfying - you have to get your team in order before setting off for a challenging route or battle, and you're lightly penalised by the trip back if you don't take it seriously. Other great examples of deliberate awkwardness include wild encounters in caves and seas, giving such areas more 'teeth' and creating the impression that the world doesn't exist for the convenience of the player.

Yeah. Since you put it like that, it kind of reminds of countless other RPGs that'll have like a "base camp" sort of area in between missions, where you can restock on stuff and prepare the best equipment and such.

Incidentally, I know it isn't long on function, but lately in my Ultra Sun playthrough I've been really liking stopping by the café for a drink from time to time. I love the QOL services that Jack provides in the SwSh Pokémon Centers, but I wouldn't mind the option of an occasional refreshment as well. He does have what seem to be a set of juice dispensers. (Maybe bring back in some form the role of the Juice Shoppe from XY?)

There's a limit though, and examples of awkwardness that I'm very glad are gone are the abysmal movepools of the early Gens. All I ask for is a good STAB move by level-up with a moderate Normal attack as backup, but some species can't even manage this (looking at you, Electrode, Ledian and Illumise). 'Different play styles' be damned, I'm not going through another Gold run by Leech Seed-ing everything to death again.

Definitely. With regard to PC function, I was just now thinking as an amendment to my post, "... but having to manually change the boxes is just a bridge too far!"

Finite bag space has to be a big one personally, especially since it's been cast away for so long now you just, kind of forget it's ever been a thing until you replay gen 1-3

No running Shoes

No Scaled Exp formula

The grinding of some Pokemon was tedious back in the day.

Single use TMs.

Also the lack of charms
Now most mons have better and bigger movepools it's a bit less of an issue. But I rarely used TM's cause 'WHAT IF I NEED IT MORE LATER". Same with the Master Ball. I do like the semi-return to this in the form of TR's though. The TM section gives decent coverage and infinite access while TR's are more powerful and something to look out/hunt for. But they can also be obtained again, so it's not a single use and never again deal. It feels like a good balance.

And like others have said, I don't miss HM's either, but I severely miss their function and the element of gameplay they add to the overworld. It was a little noticeable in Gen VII (which had ride Pokemon which doesn't quite feel the same). And Galar has nothing, which makes practically all environments feel like large hallways.

And lastly, I don't miss move relearners and the like being only accessible in one specific place. Same for the name rater.

Last edited:
- I hated HMs. I never really even used an Hm slave, I just slapped some ''Fly, Surf, etc'' on my main team and called it a day. And the fact that I always wanted to use some move like Brave Bird, or Drill Peck, Or Hydro Pump or Scald, but I just couldn't cuz I needed those things to finish the game.

- I have always HATED grinding with a passion. Hated that I had to stop my adventure just to spend 1/2 hours in a single route, battling the same 4 pokemon just to get my team to a decent level for the next Gym.

Something came to mind recently that I'm glad is gone. Fixed natures upon acquisition. Thanks to the addition of Nature Mints (which are technically more like hyper training for natures) now any Mon can be viable for whatever you need it for. I'm glad we now have that option, as needing to constantly breed or try to hunt down the "best" nature for a certain Mon was very tedious, especially for ones like shinies (mainly wild caught ones), where you'd often get screwed over by the nature being "bad". Now, it doesn't matter what nature the Mon starts out with, as all it needs is the Nature Mint of your choice and BOOM, everything is in order. It especially helps with fixed encounters like major boss battle Mons or certain event-based encounters so you don't have to go through it all over again. It certainly makes customizing your ideal team even easier and without much hassle. Sure, Nature Mints are decently expensive in the BP department, but we've seen worse prices for valuable items like that so it's worth the investment. So, yeah, I hope GF keeps Nature Mints in the games from here on out, as they remove a huge amount of hassle and stress trying to find/acquire the "correct" nature for certain Mons.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom