• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think a "Pokémon Master" really is?

DarkraiKnight

Master of the Shadows
Reaction score
For the past 20+ years, we've been watching Ash on his journey to become a "Pokémon Master." There have been many tidbits of information dropped over the years, which have allowed fans to form their own theories and speculations as to what exactly a Pokemon Master is and how one goes about becoming one. However, even after all this time, we still don't have an outright, clear-cut answer. The Pokemon Company themselves have gone on record saying that "it is the intent of the Pokémon creators that such questions be left to the imaginations and interpretations of Pokémon fans, adding more excitement and mystery to the Pokémon universe."

So...what do YOU think Ash's dream really is? What does being a Pokemon Master actually mean?

img000004-1.png

Pokemon master is final stage and to me it is bigger than beating the champion and taking the champion name from the past region champion

Beating the champion is step to be pokemon master

Pokemon master is final stage and to me it is bigger than beating the champion and taking the champion name from the past region champion

Beating the champion is step to be pokemon master

Since the Champions are arguably the most powerful trainers that we've seen thus far in the anime, I find it hard to imagine what would come next after defeating one if defeating them is merely a step on the ladder to becoming a Pokemon Master.

Since the Champions are arguably the most powerful trainers that we've seen thus far in the anime, I find it hard to imagine what would come next after defeating one if defeating them is merely a step on the ladder to becoming a Pokemon Master.
Firstly let me thank you for posting to my post and i am really greatful for that. And really I agree with you but still I don't master = champion because master to me is bigger than champion

It is a meaningless title.

For the reasons of:
1. No one other than Ash used this term.
2. No one other than Ash know this term.
3. Everyone other than Ash deemed Champion be the greatest title and there is nothing more greater than that. Even in the RGB game, when you beat Lance and become the champion you also automatically become the so-called "Pokemon Master". ("Become" may not be the best word in here, you are rather "branded" as the Pokemon Master by Lance)
4. If there does exist any level beyond the achieveavble Champion level, than it is inachieveavle by normal means. It is like saying LV.100 is not high enough, I want to go beyond to LV.255 or even LV.999 (where by normal gameplay it is impossible, unless you GameSharked it)
5. Is "Pokemon Master" a title given by someone, or you deemed yourself as one? If it is the latter case, you are like saying I want to become the "$&&)#&$-'whateveryoumaycall&$-#$&@&"! What is that? Well, it is the greatest something I want to become! It is something far greater than the cleverest Albert Einstein, far richer than the richest Warren Edward Buffett, far more authoritative than Donald Trump, far more powerful than Superman, far more heroic than Captaon America! Oh you really don't know this "$&&)#&$-'whateveryoumaycall&$-#$&@&"? (Sorry folks, I don't really think there exist such a noun in the dictionary to describe such "$&&)#&$-'thatgreastestsomethingwhateveryoumaycall&$2-#$&@&" you mentioned. If it does exist, I guess the closest noun will be "God".)
6. Since no one other than Ash know this title, therefore this isn't a title given by anyone when you achieved something, it is rather a kind of self-branding, only Ash himself can deemed himself a Pokemon Master. Hence, he will be a Pokemon Master whenever he wanted, or he will never become a Pokemon Master if he forever dissatisfy with his own self.
7. Ok, if this is indeed a title given by some authoritative body, then where is the preceding Pokemon Master? Anyone in the Pokemon World knows the name of the previous Pokemon Master? Does anyone even know there exist any preceding Pokemon Master? No? Then it means this is a non-existent title.

TL;DR? In short, Ash's "dream" is just a dog chasing his own tail.

Funny how no Pokemon Master was ever shown. Also, Satoshi used to say he wanted to become one way more in Kanto than anywhere else, similar to how he said he was 10 every time he could.

It just seems to be Ash's personal way of judging or evaluating his own talent. When in the future he feels he has became strong enough he might say that now he is the Pokemon Master.

But if I had to ever write a fanfic with Pokemon Master as main concept, I would show that it is a person who has won every major league, beaten all the Elite Fours and Champions of every region, caught all the Pokemon (except the legendaries), and has seen every legendary Pokemon at least once.

I think that is hard to give "Pokémon Master" a description. To me, being a pokémon Master, is also a sign of personal growth. I think there are different kinds of Masters: Dragon type Master, Water type Master... A pokémon Master is something in general, as Ash doesnt focus on one type.

It doesn't mean anything. It's just a plot device to justify Ash's journey.

Not even writers know what it means since they refuse to answer.

He will be a Pokemon Master when there stops being new regions as he’s never going to win so his version of master might just be something simple like exploration?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom