• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think Ash Greninja is?

Desdar300

Reaction score
Okay this thing is the hardest curve ball the anime has ever thrown at us and I for the life of me can't figure out what sort of evolution method this might be.
Is it a new mega evolution variant? Is it going to be a anime only thing? How on earth is all this going to translate game-wise?

In short it's a way of giving Ash a Mega Evolution without actually giving him a Mega Stone and Ring. Olympia's description of Frogadier's future does make me believe that it is an actual variant of ME, a view that Sycamore kind of shared, similar to how Primal Reversion is a variant. So in a game sense ORAS introduces PR while Z introduces... this. I don't know what to call it. :S

The way they've described how to obtain Ash-Greninja is something that's possible to do in the games by maxing out both happiness and affection in Pokemon Amie, and from experience the modified text you get at 5-star affection sounds like something out of the anime anyway, lol. However, with the general amount of customisation, even just down to how you have three different variants of the one gender to start with, seems like it could be difficult to get these aesthetic changes that represent the trainer. That's my major concern with this being a game mechanic, so I'm not willing to deny just yet that this may be an anime-exclusive thing, there needs to be more info for a definitive answer.

I see this as an anime exclusive more than anything else. At best, I can see it being like the Cosplay Pikachu in the games. I suppose it is the writers' way of giving Ash a Mega Evolution without giving him an actual Mega Evolution, but for the life of me, I cannot comprehend why they would do that. Then again, I should have expected something like this... Ash can't have nice things!

I don't know what it is, but I hope it stays exclusive to the anime.

honestly, it would not surprise me if Ash Greninja is indeed Mega Greninja, or at least a variant of Mega Greninja. I recall when everyone thought Mega Mewtwo Y was "Mewthree". And even then, Genesect movie Mewtwo became Mega without a stone/ring, or a trainer for that matter.

we'll probably get more info or clarification once Z or whatever the third gen 6 version gets revealed inevitably.

I bet that Ash Greninja is just Mega Greninja minus the Stone/Ring, because Ash=Special

Probably an anime-excusive version of Mega-Greninja, which will apparently debut in Pokémon Z Version.

honestly, it would not surprise me if Ash Greninja is indeed Mega Greninja, or at least a variant of Mega Greninja. I recall when everyone thought Mega Mewtwo Y was "Mewthree". And even then, Genesect movie Mewtwo became Mega without a stone/ring, or a trainer for that matter.

we'll probably get more info or clarification once Z or whatever the third gen 6 version gets revealed inevitably.

I bet that Ash Greninja is just Mega Greninja minus the Stone/Ring, because Ash=Special
Yeah I do sense that they're pulling a Awakened Mewtwo here too and it certainly wouldn't shock me

Yeah I do sense that they're pulling a Awakened Mewtwo here too and it certainly wouldn't shock me

i agree
i just want them to announce pokemon Z and Mega Greninja/kalos starter evos
then not only will we have confirmation, but it will put and end to people complaining about "No Mega Evolution" for Ash

I guess it could be a new mechanism of evolution.
But I personally think it's more likely to be a Mega.

i agree
i just want them to announce pokemon Z and Mega Greninja/kalos starter evos
then not only will we have confirmation, but it will put and end to people complaining about "No Mega Evolution" for Ash
I hope they clear all this up in next month's Corocoro

Last edited:
Ash's Greninja takes on a mysterious new appearance in the latest season! Ash-Greninja is the form that Greninja takes when the bond between it and Ash is raised to the limit. The strength of their bond changes Greninja's appearance, and it takes on the characteristic look of Ash's attire. This phenomenon is also said to have happened just once several hundred years ago in the Kalos region, but it remains shrouded in mystery.

Ash's Greninja takes on a mysterious new appearance in the latest season! Ash-Greninja is the form that Greninja takes when the bond between it and Ash is raised to the limit. The strength of their bond changes Greninja's appearance, and it takes on the characteristic look of Ash's attire. This phenomenon is also said to have happened just once several hundred years ago in the Kalos region, but it remains shrouded in mystery.

I'm guessing that it's another type of mega evolution to be honest.

It's an anime-exclusive gimmick and it looks very silly. The former is what I'm hoping, and the latter is an opinion that's 100% confirmed in my mind.

I just find it a little odd that this Greninja, who has been with Ash for only one (incomplete) journey somehow bonded with him to the point of pseudo-Megavolution. Why has this not happened to his omnipresent electric rat best friend yet?

It's an anime-exclusive gimmick and it looks very silly. The former is what I'm hoping, and the latter is an opinion that's 100% confirmed in my mind.

I just find it a little odd that this Greninja, who has been with Ash for only one (incomplete) journey somehow bonded with him to the point of pseudo-Megavolution. Why has this not happened to his omnipresent electric rat best friend yet?
TPC would never touch Pikachu so I'm not surprised .

Whatever it is, I doubt that it'll be strictly anime-exclusive. The anime exists primarily to advertise the games, so it seems a little odd that they would feature something as major as a new pokemon form and not give players the opportunity to use it themselves.

That said, this particular form seems very weird and gimmicky, so much so that it's kind of hard to envision how it's going to work within the game mechanics.

I Didn't expect that amount of negativity when coming to this thread. I know some people are desperate for a game announcement but things shouldn't be judged ahead of time. It's like what happened in ORAS, everyone begins saying that X Mega is ugly and unnecessary, and some months later everyone is using it for competitive purposes.

I think it's a Forme change, because just like Zygarde Complete & Hoopa showed, just because it can be a Mega doesn't mean it will. This forme change will be usable in the games, exclusive for Chesnaught, Delphox & Greninja and will be usable from the 6th gym onwards. (prediction)

Lmao, you know why. These special evolution's(mega, ash greninja) only happen when the pokemon is in it's final evolved form or doesn't have an evolution at all.

Pikachu doesn't fit any of those categories. So I don't see why Greninja having this is a bad thing.

Last edited:
There's a youtube video showing Ash-Greninja usable in the games. Probably an event gimmick based on the anime for fanservice.

There's a youtube video showing Ash-Greninja usable in the games. Probably an event gimmick based on the anime for fanservice.

I'm fairly certain that it was mentioned as being a texture hack, and not a standalone thing. If we're talking about the same thing.

I Didn't expect that amount of negativity when coming to this thread. I know some people are desperate for a game announcement but things shouldn't be judged ahead of time. It's like what happened in ORAS, everyone begins saying that X Mega is ugly and unnecessary, and some months later everyone is using it for competitive purposes.

I think it's a Forme change, because just like Zygarde Complete & Hoopa showed, just because it can be a Mega doesn't mean it will. This forme change will be usable in the games, exclusive for Chesnaught, Delphox & Greninja and will be usable from the 6th gym onwards. (prediction)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY-idi6S8Rc

The OP shows that it's an in-battle thing alike Mega Evolution. It seems to also disappear after battles.
If it's not Mega, then I'd imagine it's a new form of evolution that's awfully similar to Megas, with slight changes. (such as, maybe a different amount of stat change)

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom