• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think is the most disappointing attack animation?

I'm not sure is this counts, but Overheat in Pokemon Battle Revolution. I expected a big flame to encase the opponent, but no. It's just a little wave that goes on the ground.

Gen 4 Water Gun. The Gen 3 version was just barely acceptable because you could imagine the orb of water exploding on contact to cause damage, but the Gen 4 version is seriously pathetic.

Also, Hyper Beam sucks now. It looks like its damage should be on par with Spark/Bubblebeam.

Gen 5 Solarbeam. Why give up the perfectly good Gen 4 animation for something that looks like Thundershock levels of power? Same goes for Blizzard - not that its animation now is terrible, but the one in Gen 4 was perfect.

Also, Tri Attack. The anime people got it right: we want a triangle laser beam, not a multi-colored Bubble attack.

And finally, Gen 5 Earthquake looks like it's a Level 3 Magnitude from Gen 3. Fix it.

I find Overheat and Flare Blitz in Gen IV and Black to be lackluster two of most powerful fire type attacks. Overheat is just a wave of fire blobs and then smoke... And Flare Blitz is just bits of fire followed by tackle with a flurry of unfitting sparks. Not to mention they have a crappy blue background that doesn't fit at all... At least B2W2 made them more interesting

I usually don't care much about animations, but every time I used Surf on Gen I it looked more like 3 bolts unscrewing upwards over the enemy sprite than a colossal wave.

SolarBeam is pretty disappointing for me, at least in Gen IV. It's just a flash and then a beam of light falling onto the target.

Generation 3's Hydro Pump. Gen 2's was pretty epic, and all we get now is some blue circles and that's all??

Hyper Beam in Gen 3 looks like a bunch of red and white pellets being shot at the opponent more than anything else.

Generation 3's Surf is just the screen filling up with water, not that exciting.

looking back... Hydro Pump in Gen I, now I kinda go like ".....really?", also, but it's a given, splash (in every Gen) :D

Energy Ball. For some strange reason, I always thought that the Gen III Dragon Breath and Flamethrower looked more powerful than Gen IV's.

I hope Game Freak changes the animation for Fire Blast back to 大.

Also I really liked the Gen III Solar Beam and Hyper Beam...

Frenzy plant on gen V. I expected more from such an attack, but no, its just some roots coming out of the ground like an opposite ingrain.

Gen 3 Weather Ball. Personally, I like the attack itself, but Castform throws up a ball in the air, and suddenly small fragments fall from the sky. It could've been due to the limitations of graphics at that time, but still...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom