• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think is the most disappointing attack animation?

Solarbeam's attack animation has been displayed wrong. It suppose to be the Pokemon shoot the beam towards the opponent, not the sky.

I thought of a few more.

Hyper Voice in Gen 4. There's like an awkward pause between the shockwave things. It looked a lot better in gen 3. Also Swift in Gen 4 and 5. In previous games it looked like ninja throwing stars or something, but now it's this really sparkly, non-threatening attack.

Tail Whip. It doesn't even do anything with its tail. It just sort of... shakes around a bit.

I also hate how Fly and Bounce now look like your Pokémon turned into a bubble and floated upwards. It's like "What?"

Then there's Outrage, which was cool in Generation III, but then in Generation V, it just looks like a spiral coming out the user's back, which is disorienting because when you're using it, it looks like it's been used ON you, and when it's being used on you, it looks like YOUR using it.

Also, Splash Attack. How cool would it be if it caused mass tidal waves and energy to shoot out of everywhere and generally just look like a really huge attack and then despair as you read "But nothing happened."

Solarbeam's attack animation has been displayed wrong. It suppose to be the Pokemon shoot the beam towards the opponent, not the sky.
Not wrong so much as they decided to change the move's concept itself into one that is a bit weird since we've always been used to beams coming from the user. A beam from the sun(?) looks awesome to me honestly, even if it doesn't make sense. As if calling the power of the sun.

I don't like the final part of Frenzy Plant's animation. It has the same problem as Doom Desire's; great build-up and then a non-painful looking attack.

Non-painful? A bunch of tree roots burst out from under the ground to unleash a devastating pummel. o_o; At least in PBR, I haven't seen Frenzy Plant in the DS games yet...

Replaying HGSS reminded me how how silly Sacred Fire looks in the DS games. D: Purple flames, nice. But the background is really what gets me. It's just...kinda...it's just there. It should look more epic.

Non-painful? A bunch of tree roots burst out from under the ground to unleash a devastating pummel. o_o; At least in PBR, I haven't seen Frenzy Plant in the DS games yet...
PBR battles are beautiful.
In the DS games, the roots just sort of appear slowly after epic build-up, then the target shakes and green stuff appears.

Frenzy Plant (move) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
^ There, though the animation isn't as slow in-game.

Ooh, that does look rather weird indeed. D: And yes, PBR battles do look very lovely! Ice Beam especially.

DPPl's Spacial Rend looks kinda lame for Palkia's ultimate attack. You'll expect something more exciting, but at least the background is pretty. The anime doesn't do the move any justice either.

Last edited:
Fly, what the actual f***?

And as for Sacred Fire, I can't even, the purple fire is nice, as said above, but it's not purple in any other media, and it's a physical move...

Dig's animation... I'm appalled, I still think your mon should emerge in the other pokémon's ''field''

Also, even though I love Gen III, I have to admit, their Solarbeam and Hyperbeams are stupid, DNA BEAM!! I now want this move

Bulbapedia is having some problems right now apparently, so I can't look it up, but I think it's Gen V's Earthquake animation. It just doesn't even look like an earthquake. All the previous generation animations were fine for it though

Bulbapedia is having some problems right now apparently, so I can't look it up, but I think it's Gen V's Earthquake animation. It just doesn't even look like an earthquake. All the previous generation animations were fine for it though
I think it looks decently like an earthquake, but I will give you that it doesn't look nearly as intense as the other generations.

That freaking Night Daze...

In the anime, it was this amazingly awesome explosion of crimson-pink energy blasting everything in sight! In the game, it's just this weird purple thing that looks like water ripples, WTF!?

Magical Leaf. It just shoots rainbow leaves at the enemy and when it hits it looks...weak. Looks epic in Gen 3 though.

Magical Leaf. It just shoots rainbow leaves at the enemy and when it hits it looks...weak. Looks epic in Gen 3 though.

I thought that the leaves turning rainbow colors made it look sort of like the leaves were under the influence of some sort of hippie psychic power, so I thought it all looked pretty cool... plus pretty @3@ - But yeah, in Generation IV and V, it doesn't even really look like the leaves are actually attacking him. It just looks like they're just sort of existing next to him.

Probably already mentioned, but Dragon Rush. I expected more than a Tackle with a few rocks thrown in.

Leaf Blade had been more cool in Gen3 when it was actually depicted as leaves slicing through the opponent. I was disappointed to see that Gen4 and onwards changed it to a green sword...

Generation V's Close Combat sucks. It sounded like them slowly being punched and kicked to death, but then bambambam, finished. The noise sucked too.

Last edited:
I find steel wing to be pretty disappointing in general for the animation.
and gen 3 Hyper Beam looks really weird to me.

Hi Jump Kick has been a disappointment in nearly every Generation. In Gen 4 and 5, there isn't even a picture of a freaken FOOT. Almost makes me want to use Jump Kick or some other move so I can see a foot.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom