• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think is the most disappointing attack animation?

Hmm, no one likes GenIV attacks. I thought Solarbeam and Flamethrower looked awesome, there. But to answer the question:

Gen III Water Gun disappoints me. It shoots three drops of water at you; how is that a gun? I also didn't like its portrayal of Fire Blast. The Kanji just doesn't look right to me. Compared to others, it looks too small.

Upon viewing older games like Stadium and the gen 3 games, I'm actually dissapointed with how certain beam moves look in gen 4, especially in PBR; particularly Ice Beam, Psybeam Hyper Beam, and Solar Beam.
In Stadium these moves looked very similar to how they look in the anime; like a literal beam being fired from the Pokemon's body. But then in gen 4, you start charging a Solar Beam attack...and it comes down from the sky. And judging by the XY trailer, it looks like this is staying.
Ice Beam also looks better in Stadium since it mirrors the anime animation in which it looks like a ball forming in the mouth and smaller beams being fired at the opponent. In PBR it's a thin beam of ice with snowflakes around it. Not really bad, but I prefer the other one. Hyper Beam is really similar to this one in animation changes.
Psybeam looked awsome in which, like the others, it was more anime like and was a large colorful beam. If I recall correctly since my memory is off, in PBR it's a swirly looking combination of 2 beams rather than one large blast.
As for the handhelds, I also find Water Gun's gen 3 animation really lacking. Bubble looked stronger than it. Gen 4 and 5's Ember animation was also pretty lame. It was just a little flame appearing on your opponent, instead on little flames shooting at it.

Psychic in Gen III. The animation itself is okay, but even today I can't tell what's different from confusion...

DoubleSlap in Gen IV. Bullet Seed and Fury Attack were also bad- who am I kidding? Every repetitive attack in Gen IV took way too long!

Night Daze is pretty disappointing. In the anime, it was like a nuclear blast of crimson-colored dark energy exploding everywhere! Then in the games, it just looks like tiny little purple viabrations that caused some damage.

Movie Night Daze was really awesome.

I wish they brought back Gen3's Leaf Blade ._. That cartoon sword from Gen4 and 5 isn't all that epic compared to actual blades of leaves cutting through in Gen3

Most of the attacks themselves look terrible. Although some looked great, most were just a simple ray or ball directed at the victim with rotating leaves/feathers/flames/other stuff and quick size pulse. The best looking moves can be found in 3D games like Colosseum or XD. Perhaps the looks of moves would improve drastically in Gen VI, now with more 3D.

I never seemed to like the animation of Superpower in Gen III. I always expect something like an explosion or something, but instead the opponent throws some rock instead. I always complained how bad of an animation it was as a kid. :p

I also don't like ExtremeSpeed in Gen IV. It is too slooow... That even puts me to shame because ExtremeSpeed is one of my favourite moves. I prefer the animation in Gen III.

Not to mention Return in Gen IV and many repetitive moves in Gen IV...

DoubleSlap in Gen IV. Bullet Seed and Fury Attack were also bad- who am I kidding? Every repetitive attack in Gen IV took way too long!
Speaking of animation length, I think multiswipe moves should collate all the animations and damage together.

So instead of...
- animation
- effect on HP meter
- animation
- effect on HP meter
- etc....

It should be:
- animation, animation, animation (per # hits)
- Total effect on HP meter

In other words, more like how they were rendered in Stadium and Colosseum.

I don't like Hyper Beam in any Gen after 1. It's just never had that same impact.
I don't think anything will top that screen-flashing animation, but IMO the current gens still render it pretty good.

Honestly? Leaf Blade\Storm and Quake.

Leaf blade has a ridiculous cartoon sword, and Storm is just a leaf ball directed at the opponent, more like a shotgun. If it was rendered more like Heat Wave or Ominous wind... oh yeah.

Quakre just shakes the screen and chucks a few rocks. Has anybody here played Wipeout before? if Pokemon VI renders it as a wave across the terrain slamming the opponent with a wall of fire and stone, that'd be an amazing use of the 3DS hardware :p

As far as Leaf Blade goes, maybe Pokemon in VI have "hardpoints" on their models set to glow for Physical\Special attacks. As such, Servine's tail or arm would glow with Leaf Blade, and a Psychic type's eyes would illuminate when using a special attack.

I don't like Hyper Beam in any Gen after 1. It's just never had that same impact.

Yeah, the seizure-inducing screen flashing and shaking was just too epic to beat. Current generations do try though.

judgement in Gen V and Gen IV were horrible. It looks like a white blob of light that sprays out more light. The beams aren't even hitting the opponent! :bash:Compare that to the movie, where it looked like Arceus launched a bunch missiles/meteors at the town.

I agree! I was dissapointed with the Leaf Blade animation in Gen IV, especially since Treecko was my starter in Gen III. I really don't like Lugia's Aeroblast in Gen III and IV(to me, the best was the first one). In Gen III, it looked like giant flying toe nails!!

Crush Claw in Gen III. It sounds so awesome but its just derp. Then Metal Claw in Gen IV because it sounds like a cash register instead of metal. And leaf blade looks stupid in every gen after Gen III.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom