• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think of Ash's new design from Pokemon Sword and Shield anime?

Do you like his new design?

• Yeah

Votes: 38 54.3%
  • It's ok

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Not a fan of the design

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
I like it. He looks younger, but it's still the XY character design.

i like the design, but I wish he looked like a teen. like he has been travelling for regions and won a league, he should look just a bit older, 14 at the very minimum

I like it. It looks like a nice combination of different styles. Also, I appreciate the fact that he actually looks his age again, like in SM. Honestly, I'd rather him look a bit on the younger side than inappropriately too old, but I don't think he looks drastically younger than he does now.

The outfit is...eh. It seems super generic to me, honestly. But I don't hate it or anything. It's just fine.

I'm very curious to see it in motion. SM's style doesn't always look great flat, but in motion it's so much fun and really comes alive. The only thing bothering me a little bit with the art is Ash's eyes...they start to look a bit wonky if you stare at them too long. But I thought the same thing about his M21 design and in motion, he looked fantastic.

Its face looks like a mix between SM and M21. Not horrible but it will take a while to get used too. And it seems his OS-XY design won't come back outside of movies :cry:

The clothes look OK. Much better than the childish copypasted-from-the-games disaster from SM and fits the touristoc tone, but it looks a bit childish and like M21 it feels a bit too familiar. I don't know if I prefer this or a Victor-inspired outfit.

Something that I really like is that Pikachu's design got fixed. Its eyes on SM looked off and not cute at all most of the time, this design is more similar to XY's.

Of course his companion would get the more appropriate type of clothing style for a kid that's from the UK and presumably athletic, lmao.

Ash's style is okay and certainly different than what the male protagonist will have by default in the game, but they definitely could have done better with his vest. The blue and yellow completely clash with the rest of his outfit. It just seems like Ash got out of bed and put on a crappy vest over his pajamas and called it a day. I get the simplicity they're going for, but you can be simple and stylish at the same time. Overall it's not a disappointing design, but they certainly could've tweaked it better.

Last edited:
The shorts clash with the vest and backpack.
Ash needs to retire. I feel like they've ruined him by regurgitating him over and over. He's not the reason people get into Pokemon, if he were, then how do you explain the success of the games.
New fans don't require Ash and the best way to do Ash and long time fans justice is with a good ending to his story.

It's a franchise called Pokemon, not Ash and his Pikachu. Finish the story and tell us new stories about other people in the Pokemon world. Brock literally left the show because it was time to finish and move onto something else.

Not really a fan of his clothing but I think his art style looks good. Ash new design does not look as goofy as he was before. The overall art style is similar to Sun and Moon with a thin outline that makes me think that the animation would have the same fluidity of the current anime.

The shorts clash with the vest and backpack.
Ash needs to retire. I feel like they've ruined him by regurgitating him over and over. He's not the reason people get into Pokemon, if he were, then how do you explain the success of the games.
New fans don't require Ash and the best way to do Ash and long time fans justice is with a good ending to his story.

It's a franchise called Pokemon, not Ash and his Pikachu. Finish the story and tell us new stories about other people in the Pokemon world. Brock literally left the show because it was time to finish and move onto something else.
SM
A good conclusion for Ash
Pick one

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom