• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think of Ash's new design from Pokemon Sword and Shield anime?

Do you like his new design?

• Yeah

Votes: 38 54.3%
  • It's ok

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Not a fan of the design

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
I'm more worried that the other character looks too much like Gladion. The games have the same problem with Hop and Hau having the same animations. I hope the characters of the new generation won't be copy-pasted from the previous generation.

I'm also worried that there will be too many characters like in SM. There seem to be more characters in the background but the focus is on Satoshi and the other guy. Will the other characters be underdeveloped just like the classmates?

The hair mostly, and the softer edges.
It's how his hair in XY style supposed to look like. Compare:
His XY design's hair only looks like that because it was a callback to his original design, same as his narrower than others eyes.

Okay, so I did a 5 minute Photoshop job and got this result.
View attachment 125796
I made his irises smaller and he ended up looking like a healthy mix between his XY and SM variations. Besides, they didn't necessarily follow the art work design in the anime itself because the official Ash artwork for SM does make him look mature and older whereas the actual anime art made him look weird.
Here's hoping they don't necessarily use the artwork variation and actually make him look better in the anime itself, for the next series.
Those eyes manage to look even less natural than his old eyes, new eyes, and newer eyes

He looks like he's about to eat the next person he meets

Okay, so I did a 5 minute Photoshop job and got this result.
View attachment 125796
I made his irises smaller and he ended up looking like a healthy mix between his XY and SM variations. Besides, they didn't necessarily follow the art work design in the anime itself because the official Ash artwork for SM does make him look mature and older whereas the actual anime art made him look weird.
Here's hoping they don't necessarily use the artwork variation and actually make him look better in the anime itself, for the next series.
You should decrease the entire eye's size (eyeballs, lids and everything) instead of just the iris. This way it looks unatural (as if he's on drugs or something)
Not an insult, just trying to point out.

His Sword and Shield artwork looks closer to his in-episode appearance in SM than his SM artwork LOL

I mean just look at his face proportions in the SM art:
Ash_SM.png

Now look at him in the actual show:

His Sword and Shield artwork looks closer to his in-episode appearance in SM than his SM artwork LOL

I mean just look at his face proportions in the SM art:
Ash_SM.png

Now look at him in the actual show:
No, that second picture is after that they gave up on SM style.

2nd worst after Sun and Moon. Seems like a very popular opinion. I hope it will look better in the actual anime.... I liked Iwane's drawing of him.

Which is why I hope they don't use his artwork version in the anime. Instead of making him look like this...
index.php
... they make him more like this, albeit with slightly softer edges.
index.php
I Agree!! I Loved his design from pokemon the series: XY-XYZ & in Pokemon the Movie: I Choose You!

Ash's SwSh design is more akin to The Power of Us (Everyone's Story) art style than Sun & Moon or XY.
423px-Ash_M21.png
241px-Ash_SM.png

Softer art style like SM, but the eyes are noticeably bigger and the hair is more spiker. The reason why the new design appeals me more than the SM design despite using the general art style is because these changes make Ash actually look like he's part of the Pokémon universe. The small eyes and round hair spikes made him stand out among his supporting cast, and not in a good way. The rest of the Alola cast (not counting Kanto visitors) were all faithfully drawn to match their game counterparts' art models. Take Lillie for example:

255px-Lillie_SM.png
264px-Sun_Moon_Lillie.png

Aside from having less shading, translucency, and small details for easier animation, the anime design is almost identical to the game design, right down to the size and pupil. And the game design still follows Ken Sugimori's art direction. And that's kind of the problem with SM Ash because Sugimori's designs for the player protagonists look like this:

448px-Ultra_Sun_Ultra_Moon_Protagonist_male.png
397px-Lets_Go_Pikachu_Eevee_Male_Trainer.png
225px-Sword_Shield_Male_Trainer.png

The spiky hair is as sharp as ever, and all protagonists have big anime eyes with large pupils. Now granted, Ash's pupils weren't as cartoonishly large as theirs (being thin and all), they harken back to a time where Sugimori's art direction was more like Dragon Ball as opposed to today, so it makes sense that Ash's eyes should reflect Sugimori's art evolution if everyone else in the cast is doing the same. Which is what the new series did.

A little trivia here: Ash is back wearing an open jacket rather than a shirt or a closed up jacket. Except not quite. If you take a closer look, it's not a jacket; it's a vest. Now why is Ash suddenly wearing a vest?

800px-Red_LGPE_concept_art.png

Oh, that's right. GameFreak's Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee concept artworks revealed that Gen I Red's "jacket" was a misinterpretation. He was always meant to be wearing a red vest. I presume that the anime team didn't realize that when they first looked at the artwork of Red when creating Satoshi, and thus they gave his anime incarnation a jacket rather than a vest. Well, now it's time to correct that little misinterpretation with Ash now wearing a vest that similar to Red's vest in Pokémon Masters

Ash's SwSh design is more akin to The Power of Us (Everyone's Story) art style than Sun & Moon or XY.
I disagree. Biggest differences between the new style and SM/TPoU are the width between his eyes and the wider mouth line. If anything, he looks like a typical XY character. Even "softer like SM" art style us quite similar to how XY characters drawn.
The rest of the Alola cast (not counting Kanto visitors) were all faithfully drawn to match their game counterparts' art models. Take Lillie for example:
Even though that supposed model is an exact match of her game design, Lilie's actual SM design looks nothing like that, with her wider mouth and wider space between her eyes. It's especially noticeable in old episodes.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom