• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What do you think of James Turner being the art director for Sword and Shield

Do you like the fact that James Turner is the art director for Sword and Shield?

• Yes

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 11.9%

• Total voters
Do I have to mention again how Sega and that one Star Trek writer got sued by doing that?

EDIT: Or almost got sued. I can't remember the details right now. Point is, you can't use fan ideas or you will end up in court.
Seriously a real fan never would sue a company... Maybe if he send it directly via mail and wanted money for it? Seriously taking that ideas can be predictions? If a company would be smart then they would hire fans with best and most ideas.

Seriously a real fan never would sue a company... Maybe if he send it directly via mail and wanted money for it? Seriously taking that ideas can be predictions? If a company would be smart then they would hire fans with best and most ideas.
Taking ideas from fans still opens them up to lawsuits, so they don't do it. Period.

Here, their policy makes it very clear that they don't want your ideas- How do I submit my ideas or suggestions to Pokémon?

The Terms of Idea Submission is really only there to protect them if any of their ideas happen to be remotely similar to anything that a fan sent in, not because they actually use them.

Last edited:
Taking ideas from fans still opens them up to lawsuits, so they don't do it. Period.

Here, their policy makes it very clear that they don't want your ideas- How do I submit my ideas or suggestions to Pokémon?

The Terms of Idea Submission is really only there to protect them if any of their ideas happen to be remotely similar to anything that a fan sent in, not because they actually use them.

Talonflame... I wont. Am happy they use some because we wouldnt get such good games.

None of his works aside from Phantump really stick out to me as particularly appealing, BUT - aside from the Ultra Beasts (which IMO are pretty much all abominations of designs to begin with no matter who designed which) - they're not particularly horrible either.

So far Gen VIII has some appealing designs to me and some that are less exciting, but I feel like that is always how it goes for me, so there's nothing too bad happening here.

Seriously a real fan never would sue a company..
And how can you tell a "real fan" from a fan that would sue?

Also, count me as a fake fan, then, because I could prove Game Freak was making money off an idea I posted for free, I'd be mad. Being a fan of something doesn't mean they can exploit you.

Also, count me as a fake fan, then, because I could prove Game Freak was making money off an idea I posted for free, I'd be mad. Being a fan of something doesn't mean they can exploit you.
Same here.

naganadel is my favorite poison type pokemon so i don't mind

So people think that it's nearly impossible for someone to scout sites in search of ideas from fans?
First of all, is a possibility, even if they don't spend that much on it, secondly they wouldn't be so obvious as to came out in the open to say that they inspired themselves or copied someone's concept - that would be their death. I love how some are so naive to think that others wouldn't do certain things. :sneaky:

secondly they wouldn't be so obvious as to came out in the open to say that they inspired themselves or copied someone's concept - that would be their death.
Obviously, but if you can prove an idea was taken, then it doesn't matter if Game Freak says "we didn't copy their idea!". That just proves that Game Freak stole a concept and lied about it, which makes them look even worse.
I love how some are so naive to think that others wouldn't do certain things. :sneaky:
If Game Freak was really looking on the internet to steal people's ideas and then putting them in games, then you're asserting that nobody in Game Freak has told anyone about this (even though people have already violated NDAs with leaks), and that everybody with a stolen idea chose not to speak out about it at all. Which is a more likely "wouldn't do" scenario-nobody would ever leak this information, and nobody would defend their stolen idea? Or a video game company would avoid behavior that would lead to potential lawsuits?

I love how some people actually think a company would hire and pay professionals for practically coming up with ideas just to instead steal concepts from random people on the internet who might as well be literal kids who have no clue how well/poorly their idea would actually work out.

Back to topic, though - not sure how I feel about this. In the end, I won't like or dislike any design more just because a specific person made or approved of it (or whatever part in the process he takes in this position, which is probably something that's a case by case thing anyway) but out of all the Pokémon he designed so far, it's all Pokémon that I personally don't really dislike but...at the same times ones I would definitely not miss should they not exist anymore. Which isn't really giving me that much hope, to be honest.

But I'll keep an open mind, designing and directing are different after all. (And for now the only designs I really don't like are Cramorant and Obstagoon which is fair compared to the ones I do like or at least feel neutral about)

So people think that it's nearly impossible for someone to scout sites in search of ideas from fans?
First of all, is a possibility, even if they don't spend that much on it, secondly they wouldn't be so obvious as to came out in the open to say that they inspired themselves or copied someone's concept - that would be their death. I love how some are so naive to think that others wouldn't do certain things. :sneaky:
If they were to scout the internet for ideas from fans and they took an idea from a fan who chose to pursue compensation for their idea being taken, it could reach a point where an investigation would occur. Just clearing your internet history would not be sufficient enough to hide your digital footprint- a computer expert could track the accused thief's internet usage to determine whether or not they even had contact with the idea in order to take it. They need to maintain plausible deniability in the event that should occur. It's legal protection for the company and it's honestly more naive to think that they could just scout the internet for ideas without any risk of repercussion.

It’s extremely unlikely. Their job is to design not to steal.
First of all, is a possibility, even if they don't spend that much on it, secondly they wouldn't be so obvious as to came out in the open to say that they inspired themselves or copied someone's concept - that would be their death.
Right so then please point out to me all the Pokémon whose designs were stolen.
I love how some are so naive to think that others wouldn't do certain things. :sneaky:
Your post screams naïveté lol if you’re gonna be condescending at least make sense while you’re doing it.

Less impossible, and more unlikely that a designer would purposefully search on forums for a design and then use it knowing they’d probably have to alter it severely in order to avoid legal trouble.

First of all, is a possibility, even if they don't spend that much on it, secondly they wouldn't be so obvious as to came out in the open to say that they inspired themselves or copied someone's concept - that would be their death.
It probably takes less effort for a designer to come up with design on their own rather than to search online, find a good Fakémon design, and then tweak it enough so that it’s not easily recognizable. Not only that, but I bet most designers are prideful enough that they wouldn’t borrow ideas from some random hobby artist.

If they were to scout the internet for ideas from fans and they took an idea from a fan who chose to pursue compensation for their idea being taken, it could reach a point where an investigation would occur. Just clearing your internet history would not be sufficient enough to hide your digital footprint- a computer expert could track the accused thief's internet usage to determine whether or not they even had contact with the idea in order to take it. They need to maintain plausible deniability in the event that should occur. It's legal protection for the company and it's honestly more naive to think that they could just scout the internet for ideas without any risk of repercussion.
Less impossible, and more unlikely that a designer would purposefully search on forums for a design and then use it knowing they’d probably have to alter it severely in order to avoid legal trouble.

It probably takes less effort for a designer to come up with design on their own rather than to search online, find a good Fakémon design, and then tweak it enough so that it’s not easily recognizable. Not only that, but I bet most designers are prideful enough that they wouldn’t borrow ideas from some random hobby artist.

If you go the internet and forums, you can see a lot of designs and ideas. If someone was to be inspired on a design, then yes, they would have to change it a lot and/or add their inputs to not cause suspicion and to have a good explanation for the design, but if we are talking about ideas, that's easier to just get inspired on them and them make your own design of it. Of course a company wouldn't endorse these activities, but who's to say that individuals in companies do not go search for inspiration in sites and forums and worse, that they don't copy or use it as inspiration?
Assuming that the thief doesn't go into much trouble to hide the similarities and unless the original artist has received good comments and feedback from the community in general (that can also spot and compare and so came into some attention), I doubt that someone would sue the company and it would most likely think that's a great coincidence.

Many good ideas.
I since gen 4 give them and amount of years.
One idea is a good prediction.

Many good ideas.
How does that relate to my post, like...at all?
I since gen 4 give them and amount of years.
One idea is a good prediction.
Why not prove it, then, instead of making vague references to it?
If someone was to be inspired on a design, then yes, they would have to change it a lot and/or add their inputs to not cause suspicion and to have a good explanation for the design, but if we are talking about ideas, that's easier to just get inspired on them and them make your own design of it.
So, you think it's more likely that Game Freak would need ideas for what to base a Pokemon on, but they could handle being totally original from there? Why would they go to the trouble of looking through forums to find an idea if all they were going to use was the real-life basis? Why would it be easier to look through fan forums and say "Oh, I like this suggestion of a teapot Pokemon" instead of just looking at teapots and saying "I bet I could make a Pokemon out of this"?

Not gonna lie, the only naive person here right now is you for thinking that the art designers would scour and search forums for Fakemon that look cool just so they can copy their ideas and heavily, HEAVILY alter them to make them look “original”. Not only does that not make any sense, like...at all, to do since your job is to create original ideas and you’re getting paid for it, but you can get fired because of that. Literally no designer would risk their job and income just because they feel lazy and can’t be bothered to think of something.

I don’t doubt that GF (or any team with a popular franchise, be it video games, collectible toys, etc) take a stroll through forums occasionally to get a feel for what fans want.

But if/when they do, it probably focuses more on “fans hate Fire/Fighting starters right now” or “yeah, this character/mechanic was a huge hit, does adding it in again fit our vision?”. They aren’t clicking through Seribii or DeviantArt, desperately looking for ideas to use.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom