• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What do you think of James Turner being the art director for Sword and Shield

Do you like the fact that James Turner is the art director for Sword and Shield?

• Yes

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 11.9%

• Total voters
How does that relate to my post, like...at all?

Why not prove it, then, instead of making vague references to it?

So, you think it's more likely that Game Freak would need ideas for what to base a Pokemon on, but they could handle being totally original from there? Why would they go to the trouble of looking through forums to find an idea if all they were going to use was the real-life basis? Why would it be easier to look through fan forums and say "Oh, I like this suggestion of a teapot Pokemon" instead of just looking at teapots and saying "I bet I could make a Pokemon out of this"?

First of all and to be clear, when I say people, I'm not thinking of GF as a company doing it or endorsing. I'm speaking about indiduals.
I can't say if it's easier to do one or the other, but there may be an instance where one cannot even come up with a basis for a Pkmn or think about what to be inspired. Picking ypur example, someone could have explored their teapot Pkmn but though that it wans't good, went to the internet and found a better ideia, perhaps both visually and pertaining types.

Right...because we have yet to seen any cases of plagiarism. :sneaky:
Also, I guess you know all the designers in this world to say that "no designer would risk their job and income just because they feel lazy and can’t be bothered to think of something". :ROFLMAO:
I'm sure some designers do, but they don't get to hold their job for very long for very obvious reasons. I'm sure that GameFreak doesn't have so many designers that they wouldn't notice that they have an unoriginal idiot on their team who needs firing.

First of all and to be clear, when I say people, I'm not thinking of GF as a company doing it or endorsing. I'm speaking about indiduals.
I can't say if it's easier to do one or the other, but there may be an instance where one cannot even come up with a basis for a Pkmn or think about what to be inspired. Picking ypur example, someone could have explored their teapot Pkmn but though that it wans't good, went to the internet and found a better ideia, perhaps both visually and pertaining types.
Right...because we have yet to seen any cases of plagiarism. :sneaky:
Also, I guess you know all the designers in this world to say that "no designer would risk their job and income just because they feel lazy and can’t be bothered to think of something". :ROFLMAO:
It’s blatantly obvious that everyone has been talking about GameFreak and their designers up to this point. They’ve been mentioned in literally every post of this conversation.
Telling people “btw people plagiarize sometimes!” is like saying “did you know some people eat eggs?!” This is specifically abt GameFreak allegedly using fan designs from forums which is preposterous.

And, again, if they stole someone's Pokemon design, why wouldn't the creator sue them for it?

I 100% support the idea that he is Pokemon's new art director. I thought that many of the previous Pokemon designs played too safe, but with the introduction of his designs, especially of the Ultra Beasts. My hope for them getting the complexity that they needed is restored.

I 100% support the idea that he is Pokemon's new art director. I thought that many of the previous Pokemon designs played too safe, but with the introduction of his designs, especially of the Ultra Beasts. My hope for them getting the complexity that they needed is restored.
Eeegh, strong disagree- pokemon need less complexity, not more. Not a fan of the too many details and too much to look at.

My hope for them getting the complexity that they needed is restored.

Eeegh, strong disagree- pokemon need less complexity, not more. Not a fan of the too many details and too much to look at.

I think there needs to be a balance, with a slight leaning on the more complex side, which the Galar Pokémon achieve for the most part. Too simple, like Krabby or Seel, and it’s a boring and bland design that feels uninspired. Too complex, like the Kyurem and Necrozema fusions, and the design is too busy, difficult to picture in one’s mind (and therefor harder to draw), and unappealing to look at.

I think the ultra beasts worked very well for what they were: otherworldly Pokémon. I don't see how any of his other designs were really that complex. Maybe I'm forgetting something?

Anyway, I don't think what we've seen from Galar is too complex. If anything, a number of designs that I thought might be base stages actually look to be the final stages. That tells me that some of them could be more complex than they are. Lol

I'm sure some designers do, but they don't get to hold their job for very long for very obvious reasons. I'm sure that GameFreak doesn't have so many designers that they wouldn't notice that they have an unoriginal idiot on their team who needs firing.
Like I said before, it'll depend on how it's made and of course, of the volume/number of times it's made.

Like I said before, it'll depend on how it's made
So they'll avoid stealing someone's design....by making something different.
and of course, of the volume/number of times it's made.
Being part of the highest-grossing video game franchise means it's going to be made a lot and be seen a lot.

So they'll avoid stealing someone's design....by making something different.

Being part of the highest-grossing video game franchise means it's going to be made a lot and be seen a lot.
Yes,you don't have to steal the entire thing.
As for the chances of it being made, I discussed that already.

And now we go back to the original question-why bother risking legal action by taking part of someone's idea while still putting in the creative work? They still have to go to the trouble of creating a new design. They've added challenges to their workload, by having to create a distinct design and avoid legal action, with no benefits from it. No matter how many times you smugly tell everyone "Some people plagiarize", that doesn't change the fact that it's not worth the risk for Pokemon to do so.

Are you talking about actual designs here? Or are you referring to vague concepts?

Because I’m sure I’m not the only one who was salty that there was no Grass Evee in Gen 1/2 (I mean, the Leaf Stone is one of the original evolution stones and Grass is one of the core mechanic types!), but I don’t think anyone from GF plagiarized an idea of mine. And obviously it was on their minds early on, because one of the scrapped ‘mons from the “Pokémon 2” beta was a Grass-types eveelution.

At the end of the day, people are people; the original concept of “memes” was the idea that there is a certain amount of cultural osmosis. For example, the idea of not wanting to disturb a fickle cat who has chosen to sit on your lap is a common concept in art and stories across centuries and multiple countries/cultures. So until someone has tangible evidence that their design for an Electric/Fire penguin was stolen wholesale, I think we can just assume that both the design team and fans of the franchise just have similar ideas.

At this point, since the forum posts are more than likely long gone or at least lost....There's no substantial evidence even if that were the case in the supposed "stealing" of the ideas.

So even if someone were to stupidly sue over some vague ideas that are probably long since deleted and purged from the internet...it would be thrown out and laughed at. Just like everyone else who has tried suing Nintendo over other vague concepts that happened because two people had the same idea at the same time before one of them went public with the idea.

Besides, suing major companies or smaller companies backed by major ones always seems like a cheap cash grab. Like unless you do something like accidentally spill scolding hot coffee on your self and have firm evidence in undisputable pictures and medical reports or a loved one dies at a tragic theme park accident...it literally sounds like you just want money quick. Especially in this day and age when things like tweets, FB status updates, texts, and forum posts can be easily faked.

In Terms of Human Designs
Like unless you do something like spill scolding hot coffee on your self and have firm evidence in undisputable pictures and medical reports

I've been told McDonalds paid people to make that lawsuit look frivolous, downplaying how hot the coffee actually was and how badly it burned that women. However, I don't know if that's true.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this thread has gone off topic a little, I want to kinda reel it back in with a question:

If the thread title was rephrased to "What do you think of James Turner being the art director for Sword and Shield in terms of human character designs only," would your opinion on him being the art director change?

One thing is that fan-made and official designs can be coincidences sometimes and honestly, I don't see that as a big deal, it's really not the designer's fault for not knowing a fan put out a similar design at a similar time. After all, the character designer is often focused on his job that he doesn't have the time to look throughout the internet to find something a fan has done it first. This is especially true with Pokemon names, as there have been fan-made Pokemon names where they were simply coincidences that they ended up in an official game.

If the thread title was rephrased to "What do you think of James Turner being the art director for Sword and Shield in terms of human character designs only," would your opinion on him being the art director change?
Not really, since we have no confirmation that he drew any of them that I know of? We can still only pat him on the back for approving them.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom