• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What do you think of James Turner being the art director for Sword and Shield

Do you like the fact that James Turner is the art director for Sword and Shield?

• Yes

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 11.9%

• Total voters
All of those (other than that Grass type boar) are derivative and/or boring. And that’s mainly because we don’t have a plethora of pig based Pokémon, and the fact that wild pigs/boars are inherently tied to forests.

All of those (other than that Grass type boar) are derivative and/or boring. And that’s mainly because we don’t have a plethora of pig based Pokémon, and the fact that wild pigs/boars are inherently tied to forests.
We do have quite a number of piggies already, though. Mankey, Swinub, Tepig, Spoink? XD

But yeah, definitely agree on the fan designs. Main point though was the rule that he can't look at them.

I'd like the kangaroo even tho the design in itself is pretty boring.
i want a fighting type kangaroo pokemon

We do have quite a number of piggies already, though. Mankey, Swinub, Tepig, Spoink? XD

But yeah, definitely agree on the fan designs. Main point though was the rule that he can't look at them.

I always think of Mankey as a weird monkey with a pig snout. I was only thinking of the Spoink and Tepig lines; completely forgot about the Swinub line!

Though for what it's worth I like the designs, and I think Churagon, Chaivory, and Trawlure are more unique than they're given credit for.

And now we go back to the original question-why bother risking legal action by taking part of someone's idea while still putting in the creative work? They still have to go to the trouble of creating a new design. They've added challenges to their workload, by having to create a distinct design and avoid legal action, with no benefits from it. No matter how many times you smugly tell everyone "Some people plagiarize", that doesn't change the fact that it's not worth the risk for Pokemon to do so.
For Pokémon? It's not about a company, it's about individuals. Like said before, I don't expect nor believe GF to endorse this behavioir, but one cannot so easily and in a naive way exclude the possibility of someone doing the things that I've mentioned.

Are you talking about actual designs here? Or are you referring to vague concepts?

Because I’m sure I’m not the only one who was salty that there was no Grass Evee in Gen 1/2 (I mean, the Leaf Stone is one of the original evolution stones and Grass is one of the core mechanic types!), but I don’t think anyone from GF plagiarized an idea of mine. And obviously it was on their minds early on, because one of the scrapped ‘mons from the “Pokémon 2” beta was a Grass-types eveelution.

At the end of the day, people are people; the original concept of “memes” was the idea that there is a certain amount of cultural osmosis. For example, the idea of not wanting to disturb a fickle cat who has chosen to sit on your lap is a common concept in art and stories across centuries and multiple countries/cultures. So until someone has tangible evidence that their design for an Electric/Fire penguin was stolen wholesale, I think we can just assume that both the design team and fans of the franchise just have similar ideas.
Both. Like I said, it'll depend on how it's done, where it was obtained, etc (as mentioned with the teapot Pkmn example).

For Pokémon? It's not about a company, it's about individuals. Like said before, I don't expect nor believe GF to endorse this behavioir, but one cannot so easily and in a naive way exclude the possibility of someone doing the things that I've mentioned.
Those problems still exist for the individual. An individual employee choosing to copy someone's design but altering it enough to seem original is still getting the same workload and risking legal action. It's not at all reasonable for someone to do that, and recognizing that isn't being naive.

No one was discussing whether it was possible for anyone to ever scout the internet for designs and concepts to steal. This was never the focus of this conversation.

These posts?
I think the he is using pokemon forums because many fan wishesh are getting done right, could be better ability and move wise but it's the right direction.
Crazy but not impossible taking that they all research websites and social media with coworkers.
This is what we were addressing. The fact that the artists at Game Freak are not presumably scouting the internet for ideas because they're simply not allowed to. We're not being "naive," we are asserting a fact- they are not allowed to do this and there is no reason to believe that they are.

Sorry about quoting you, Matleo, but this conversation has gotten ridiculous. They're not scouting the internet for ideas, period.

No one was discussing whether it was possible for anyone to ever scout the internet for designs and concepts to steal. This was never the focus of this conversation.

These posts?

This is what we were addressing. The fact that the artists at Game Freak are not presumably scouting the internet for ideas because they're simply not allowed to. We're not being "naive," we are asserting a fact- they are not allowed to do this and there is no reason to believe that they are.

Sorry about quoting you, Matleo, but this conversation has gotten ridiculous. They're not scouting the internet for ideas, period.

there is no way to avoid zoos, movies, series, legend and myths... also I would rather want that they listen to us fans, then the games are affordable and get better... and not so many people complain then.

there is no way to avoid zoos, movies, series, legend and myths...
Literally nobody was saying that. What we're saying is that Pokemon employees are looking to inspiration sources out of copyright, and they're not going to steal from fans.
also I would rather want that they listen to us fans, then the games are affordable and get better...
They are not going to lower the price because they stole an idea from somebody.

Last edited:
Literally nobody was saying that. What we're saying is that Pokemon employees are looking to inspiration sources out of copyright, and they're not going to steal from fans.

They are not going to lower the price because they stole an idea from somebody.

Seriously we use why they gave us. We use type combinations and imagine how it could work...
O even send my idea to the pokemon company via quora and hope they like it and use it realy.

Also I would not think of stealing but rather of showing abilities and hoping for maybe a form of contact.
I rather think that if I'm a fan, and gave anonymously my ideas in the past I did it for something I liked and love to play and see.

For me a gratification is that they used Polish word "Galar" as the regions name and created a European Badger pokemon. If we get a lux , or a dragon or goat pokemon inspired on Cracow I'm also happy.
The European motives are superv when now Ponyta came into play, we even disscussed Ponyta and Rapidash and Unicorns here remember TechSkylander1518 ?

Seriously we use why they gave us. We use type combinations and imagine how it could work...
O even send my idea to the pokemon company via quora and hope they like it and use it realy.
Honestly they probably just throw any ideas sent to them out. They have a pretty clear policy on not wanting ideas from fans.

That doesn't make things any more legal to use.
Via Quora, the question/answer site? I don't see how that would make it to Pokemon.
Also I would not think of stealing but rather of showing abilities and hoping for maybe a form of contact.
But you were suggesting taking ideas from forums and social media, not idea submissions through contacting them.
For me a gratification is that they used Polish word "Galar" as the regions name
Why would they use Polish to name a region that has nothing to do with Poland?
The European motives are superv when now Ponyta came into play, we even disscussed Ponyta and Rapidash and Unicorns here remember@ TechSkylander1518 ?
You discussed that idea with PkmnTrainerV, not me.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom