• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What do you think of James Turner being the art director for Sword and Shield

Do you like the fact that James Turner is the art director for Sword and Shield?

• Yes

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 11.9%

• Total voters
His confirmed designs are fine. Perhaps his only major mistakes being Vanilluxe not really looking like a banana split (it should have been one ball on top of other) and Poipole looking more like a mythical than like an Ultra Beast (but it's cute anyway).

But like others, I'm not sure if I like the current approach Galar mons are taking. The shapes are more simple and the color palettes more basic, like something from Gen V. Hopefully they look more varied and creative when the full roster is revealed.

I think it's been a good decision because the Pokémon of this region do feel like they cohesively belong there... If that makes sense. As a director, he seems to have an eye on what works to bring a cohesive character to a region in terms of its Pokémon. All the designs also seem purposeful in adding depth to the region. Hard to say if that's just because they're only revealing those that do so far.

In terms is design independent of anything else, it'll be very hard to beat gen 7 for me. I had the hardest time choosing team members for SM because I loved so many. For the Pokémon revealed for SwSh so far, I only really find myself being excited about using only 3-4 of them. But we'll see... Only a relative few have been revealed.

I suppose that explains why nothing that has been revealed has caught my interest in the slightest. Never really liked his designs all that much, honestly. They're either bland or hideous. It makes sense to have a UK designer for the UK region, but still.

So far, I feel rather distant from these games due to this. I'll have to see the rest of the roster, of course, but this whole vibe and lack of interesting reveals has me underwhelmed.

I think the he is using pokemon forums because many fan wishesh are getting done right, could be better ability and move wise but it's the right direction.

because many fan wishesh are getting done right

I don’t really see how Turner has satisfied many fan wishes. Outside of the continuation of regional variants and cross generation evolutions as well as a possible jerk rival in Bede, none of the new Pokémon nor characters seem to be popular fan requests.

I don’t really see how Turner has satisfied many fan wishes. Outside of the continuation of regional variants and cross generation evolutions as well as a possible jerk rival in Bede, none of the new Pokémon nor characters seem to be popular fan requests.

Manidubzz with overcoat
Grass/ghost trevenant and poison/dragon where my and I wrote about them on many forums.

I think the he is using pokemon forums because many fan wishesh are getting done right, could be better ability and move wise but it's the right direction.
Manidubzz with overcoat
Grass/ghost trevenant and poison/dragon where my and I wrote about them on many forums.
I’m sorry but James Turner did not read your posts on a forum and turn them into Pokémon lol. That’s 100% not how the design process works. If you got something you asked for it’s purely coincidental. With all due respect you post like 20 ideas a day so it’s not crazy to think at least a few of them would come true.

I’m sorry but James Turner did not read your posts on a forum and turn them into Pokémon lol. That’s 100% not how the design process works. If you got something you asked for it’s purely coincidental. With all due respect you post like 20 ideas a day so it’s not crazy to think at least a few of them would come true.
Crazy but not impossible taking that they all research websites and social media with coworkers.

Crazy but not impossible taking that they all research websites and social media with coworkers.
Actually it's not legal for them to take ideas, even if they're coming from fans wanting their ideas to be taken, and so they would be better keeping a profile of plausible deniability- meaning that they wouldn't be browsing websites to see what ideas fans have for inspiration.

Actually it's not legal for them to take ideas, even if they're coming from fans wanting their ideas to be taken, and so they would be better keeping a profile of plausible deniability- meaning that they wouldn't be browsing websites to see what ideas fans have for inspiration.

they would , who would not? funny if they would hire someone incognito afterwards as a reward.

they would , who would not? funny if they would hire someone incognito afterwards as a reward.
Do I have to mention again how Sega and that one Star Trek writer got sued by doing that?

EDIT: Or almost got sued. I can't remember the details right now. Point is, you can't use fan ideas or you will end up in court.

I think the pokemon he designed such as Trevenant and Guzzlord and Poipole are great. The Galar pokemon look really cool and the only ones i'm not either indifferent about or love are Drednaw and Corvinight

Frankly, I'm fine with it. I rather like most of his designs, and I think he's been doing a great job with the character designs alone (except Milo, who looks a little... odd to me). Sure, there have been a few hits-and-misses (I can't stand Mandibuzz, as I find it really ugly, even for vulture standards), but overall I think he's been doing great on Sword/Shield.

We don't even know what designs he's actually done for Sword and Shield since being the art director just means you make the decisions not that you made the designs yourself so... the better designs of SwSh might not even be his and we can only thank him for letting them through.

Ken Sugimori still does the final art, as well.

Got to love his consistent style.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom