• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think of Sun and Moon so far?

Because it is a movie, with a movies length and a movies budget, just because its set in a alternate universe doesn't mean its not a movie.

Because it is a movie, with a movies length and a movies budget, just because its set in a alternate universe doesn't mean its not a movie.

Well, I didn't say it is not a movie my friend, but to me it doesn't have an impression of movies. I still think that they should put it as a special episode

1 M20Universe is only the universe created for this film or SM is the same worl
We don't know, yet.
2 Why Ash dindn't mention any of his companions since 2013?
Usually he don't mention them.
3. In XY Ash said something about Piplup- which one- Dawn's or Makoto's?
Dawn's.
4. Did writers want to forget about the past during making XY?
No.
5. Ok, in SM Ash mentioned Tauros, we have Wobbuffet, Mimey, we saw May's and Brock's hair ...but Ash' s memories were like: ,,Well Pikachu, I met you in Oak's laboratory and now we're here"- isn't it ridiculous?
It is ridiculous.
6. This whole ,,starting from zero" thing we saw in the final of XY- what does it mean, especially now?
I don't remember anything about "starting from zero", except what Alain said.
7. Did writers say ,,Goodbye" to all of past characters in the last BW episode? It looked like that to me...
It would be weird if that's the case.
8. Think about Ash's memories about childhood in XY- little Ash didn't look like Ash from OS and didn't act like him...
He's younger than OS Ash.
9. In XY we saw a lot of characters from Hoenn, Serena went there...so why didn'T they bring back or even Max? It's weird....
Dunno.

Their is the problem that it is literally called the 20th movie, meaning even Game freak and the anime staff think its a movie and making it like its a movie.

Also to stay relevant to the thread, while I think Sun and Moon is one of my favourite Series so far and I love how its going for slice of life, I must agree that I would prefer more battles my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th favourite episodes of Sun and Moon so far is Hala's, Lycanroc's, and Gladion's episodes all of which I love for their battles.

@martianmister
Actually he did mention them.
AG- he told May and Max about Misty. When they saw her, they said: ,,We heard a lot about you"!
DP- Dawn knows who May was...she even asked her about Max.
What is more, Brock and Ash told her about Misty too.
BW- Iris and Cilan found it was interesting to listen about Ash's past adventures.
XY- OOOOPS
In one of last XY episodes Ash said: ,, I gonna back to Pallet Town and start everything from scratch"
Ok, little Ash was younger but that's a problem cause 10 years old OS Ash acted like a boy in his age should. 7 years old Ash acted like an adult...but it could be only Serena's imagination :D
@Wishy-Washy
As you said, it's probably about continuity...or lack of it. Now. Cause, OS, AG, DP, BW look like a saga.
On the other hand I'm really happy you also enjoy SM. Speaking about it...as far as I like alolan pokegirls (especially Mallow) and alolan Ash sometimes...they (girls) act like cheerleaders to me...especially when he's doing something...I don' t know...battling or training...what do you think about it? :D

As you said, it's probably about continuity...or lack of it. Now. Cause, OS, AG, DP, BW look like a saga.
On the other hand I'm really happy you also enjoy SM. Speaking about it...as far as I like alolan pokegirls (especially Mallow) and alolan Ash sometimes...they (girls) act like cheerleaders to me...especially when he's doing something...I don' t know...battling or training...what do you think about it? :D

Well, good thinking. I do see it as you see. the three girls in alolan are really one of my friend pokegirls; and they are unique. I do love all of Mallow, Lillie, and Lana, and happy that they are enjoy to be with Ash, and I also like Mamane, and his pokemon togedemaru

Their is the problem that it is literally called the 20th movie, meaning even Game freak and the anime staff think its a movie and making it like its a movie.

Also to stay relevant to the thread, while I think Sun and Moon is one of my favourite Series so far and I love how its going for slice of life, I must agree that I would prefer more battles my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th favourite episodes of Sun and Moon so far is Hala's, Lycanroc's, and Gladion's episodes all of which I love for their battles.

This is the thing that I meant. The movie is looks like a special episode that made like movie, but still I think it will a good movie. I do agree, of all things that you liked in alola season

7 years old Ash acted like an adult...but it could be only Serena's imagination :D
He isn't acting like an adult, he act like a child.
AG- he told May and Max about Misty. When they saw her, they said: ,,We heard a lot about you"!
DP- Dawn knows who May was...she even asked her about Max.
What is more, Brock and Ash told her about Misty too.
BW- Iris and Cilan found it was interesting to listen about Ash's past adventures.
XY- OOOOPS
XY- He mentioned Dawn's Piplup.

I still prefer to primarily follow the dub, so I haven't seen everything that has aired up to this point. However, I think I have a better general impression of the series ten episodes in as opposed to just the first two.

I like the series thus far. It's nothing outstanding, but I do find it to be pretty entertaining at least. I liked most of the focused episodes on the characters thus far. Lillie and Lana probably have had the best ones out of the batch, although I'm a bit biased with Lana's episode due to how much I like Popplio. Lillie is probably the most interesting due to her fear of Pokemon and how that could be explored down the line, I like how Lana comes off more like how I expected her to be in the games, mainly with being a bit shy and soft spoken, and I hope that Kiawe becomes more interesting since I liked how he reacted to Ash in the first couple of episodes. I'm not a fan of Sophocles and Mallow is just okay, although her friendship with Lillie is already pretty endearing.

I also like how they have generally handled having a larger cast. Instead of forcing in everyone in every episode, they are episodes where some or none of Ash's new friends have lines. There have been plenty of episodes in previous where Ash is separated from one or all of his friends to have a different adventure, but they had to figure out some way for them to be separated because they're traveling together. They don't have to worry about that here because the characters are classmates right now and they have their own homes to go to. That makes it feel much more natural when they aren't all together. I do hope that they'll have more moments to develop their group chemistry though. I actually really liked it when Ash's friends helped him to figure out Hala's question for the trial since it felt like they were already pretty comfortable with each other and everyone wanting to help Ash was kind of sweet too. It still probably wasn't the best idea to increase the cast so much, especially when previous series haven't balanced out the screentime for three or four characters, but for the most part, I find the new characters to be okay with some potential in them.

The comedy generally works for me. There are some times where the over the top facial expressions are a bit much, such as Ash's reaction when he realized that the Lapras were about to hit some rocks, but it can be pretty funny. Bewear's running gag is pretty good and it provides something different for Team Rocket too. I honestly kind of wish that Ash's first day off from school was just about him struggling and failing at basic things like cooking and cleaning instead of turning into a Sophocles episode because the concept was so ridiculous that it became hilarious. Granted, I'm not surprised that they threw in one of Ash's classmates in the episode just so he'd have someone else to bounce off of and they might have been stretching to fill that concept for just one episode, Ash not being able to cook or do any household chores right sounded like a hilarious concept for a filler episode.

Now some of the common complaints about the series do make a bit more sense to be, particularly how little the school setting is used. I was actually pretty shocked when they mentioned writing a report about the Pokemon Egg because that was the first sign of actual school work eight episodes into the series. Not to mention they already had a day off from school episode just five episodes into the series as well. Admittedly, I don't think that this bothers me all that much. The school setting is basically a backdrop for the current part of the series and an excuse/reason for Ash to be in Alola. I wasn't sure if I was expecting much more from the Pokemon School concept either. Plus, I still think people would be upset even if they did make more use of the school setting given how the initial reaction to the series was, so that might make me more indifferent towards this issue too.

I like how Ash has been presented thus far. He's clearly more like a kid and is used for comedy relief much more often, but he still has pretty good skills as a trainer. His battles in the first couple of episodes and especially the Grand Trial shows that he hasn't regressed as a trainer, or at least not considerably. Being in one location for so long is different for both Ash and the series in general, but I think it's kind of nice and refreshing. That could change later on, but I don't think I mind that change too much. It helps that I have generally enjoyed most of the episodes thus far too.

People have pointed out how long he's been on Melemele Island without making any progress with the Island Trials, which I can understand too, but to be honest, even his desire to take part in the first Trial came out of nowhere. He talked about taking part in it at the end of the second episode, spent the next few episodes catching, attempting to catch Pokemon and/or hanging out with his new friends. But then he just woke up one more, realized he didn't have any Z-Crystal and jumped right into the Trial. There was no buildup to the first Trial, which I do think was a problem. Part of it could be how I'm used to Ash always being on the move towards his next destination since that does give an idea of how close he is for his next badge, but there was no mention of the Island Trials for six or seven episodes. It felt too sudden for my tastes and that was probably one reason why it felt too lackluster for me. I wouldn't go say that they've ruined Trials either. I don't like potentially eliminating the Trial Captains from the concept and the battles against the Yungoos and Gumshoos were a bit too short, but I'd want to see how they handle at least a couple more Trials before declaring that the anime has ruined them.

I do think that the Grand Trial was really good though. Ash was able to make use of his small team, there were good strategies on both ends and Ash's victories felt really satisfying and believable. It was a really solid and enjoyable match. It probably helps it was just a direct battle instead of battling against strong wild Pokemon, but it was still really good. Although, taking care of the Trial and Grand Trial so soon probably wasn't the best idea either. There's not a lot more to do on the island in regards to the Island Trials, so that does make Ash's decision to be on the island all the more strange. It probably wouldn't be so bad if there was a reason he was still there beyond the Pokemon School or working with his Pokemon to get stronger for the next challenge, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. I won't be able to say if that really bothers me until I see more of the episodes, but I can already understand why people would be upset about that, especially when traveling around has always been associated with Pokemon. Not just the anime, but pretty much the entire franchise is about going on a journey with your Pokemon. I'm sure that they'll still have Ash travel around the other islands at some point and part of the issue could be not wanting to go too fast due to how Alola only has four islands, but I can understand that issue.

It's still pretty early in its run and I can see why this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I like SM so far. It's not amazing, but it's generally fun and I'm curious where the series will go.I hope that I'll enjoy some future episodes, especially the Rockruff and Litten capture episodes given how much I like Rockruff and the first Litten episode was pretty neat too.

He isn't acting like an adult, he act like a child.

XY- He mentioned Dawn's Piplup.
He said Piplup- not Dawn's Piplup.
@Hidden Mew
I'm glad to see another person who likes SM :D Except of characters (I prefer Sophocles and Mallow to Lana) I totally agree with you.
I think SM is so good cause this season is the first one which shows us private life of Ash and his companions- it's simply funny: D

He said Piplup- not Dawn's Piplup.
@Hidden Mew
I'm glad to see another person who likes SM :D Except of characters (I prefer Sophocles and Mallow to Lana) I totally agree with you.
I think SM is so good cause this season is the first one which shows us private life of Ash and his companions- it's simply funny: D

XY exists in the same universe as BW.

XY exists in the same universe as BW.
Of course...Alexa, Cilan...I know.
But for me...there is something...mysterious...strange...DIFFERENT in XY...maybe it's just an atmosphere but...now after M20 trailer I think XY was a temporary period- time to forget about the past and to prepare to M20 Universe- it would explain why they strongly avoid any memories there.
But, thinking about SM- for me, after last 6 weak years (and this humiliating surprise called M20 Trailer) this series has shown me PokeAnime has still a great potential :D

I think its interesting not too bad
but I will prefer more battles not too munch battles in my opinion compare to XY have shown

Ash not being hyper-focused on his goal has been a good thing, though I'm probably alone in thinking that. I find that when he's fixated on a goal his personality becomes restricted, whereas at the moment other parts of his personality - the ones we don't see that often - are allowed to come out. So for me at least he becomes a better-rounded character.
FYI you're not alone.

If you think that was "over the top", you see nothing yet. There is much more to come, both quantitatively and qualitatively.

Oh that makes more sense. I thought that you meant something else. I have seen images of some of the more extreme over the top facial expressions from later episodes. My main problem with the example I mentioned wasn't even how over the top it was. It was that seeing Pokemon potentially getting injured from falling onto rocks wasn't really the best time for a comical facial expression. I don't recall if there was another instant where the expressions/reactions felt too jarring for me out of the first ten episodes, so maybe that won't be as much of an issue down the road.

It's not about listing personality traits, but rather what we're shown of a character in different situations. SM's characters have a bit more to them because I don't just see them in action, I also see them in rest, in casual moments and amongst their own family. By seeing more aspects of their lives, I feel like I get to know them better than I did other characters.

See more aspects of their lives? But if they barely have a role in episodes not featuring them or introducing their families. And when they don't have a role, we don't even see them or what they do.

Some people call that "realism". I call that "the writers not even knowing what to do with them most of the times and as such eliminating them from the episodes in which they are deemed unneeded".

If they really wanted us to see more of their lives, we would actually see them while Ash isn't around. Kinda like Pokémon Chronicles expanded on the various pre-AG characters, if you get what I mean.

In other words, "show, don't tell". Don't make us assume that they are doing whatever we may believe they are doing. For all we know, they could be snoozing and doing homework all day while they are off-screen. Just show us them while they do their "mundane" stuff, if people really care about this kind of (otherwise irrelevant) material.

Taking your May example, yes we knew she liked travelling, and yes we knew she liked food, but these have little to do with her personality. "Likes travelling" isn't a personality trait. What was May's life like before she became a trainer? Did she have friends in Petalburg she hung out with? What was she like around the house? What did she do to relax/kill time? You might ask why any of that matters, but it's the mundane things like that that give you a more complete picture of a person. For example, a loner at home who lazed about all day and watched TV to pass the time gives a completely different impression to a social butterfly always helping around the house with a ton of different hobbies. You can then use this information to either reinforce or contrast something about a character, creating a stronger character as a result.

Simple answer: because it isn't a priority.

Keep in mind that this is an anime for children. It doesn't need to have overly complex characters with thousands of trivial things tied to them, unless they have some relevance in the future. We're talking about a fiction, not a reality show.

I mean, just look at Cilan. He had thousands of hobbies, but at the end only few of said hobbies did have some relevance to the plot, namely his detective and fishing hobbies. And, honestly speaking, I would have rather have them (the writers) focusing more on those aspects than adding stuff just for the sake of adding stuff. It would have made the character a bit more consistent and maybe even give him some nice development.

Basically, I'd much rather have something with few well-defined details than something overloaded with random things pieced together just to make it feel more "complete".

Your Clemont/Sophocles comparison proves nothing. Firstly, you're taking a character barely 30 episodes old and comparing it to one that's had an entire season behind them, so one character has yet to have the opportunities to show more of themselves. Secondly, Sophocles has the least amount of focus far, and you've cherry picked him to prove your point without acknowledging the other characters. Thirdly, the recent episode about Sophocles showed us a lot about his character which you've ignored.

For what it's worth, I don't think Sophocles is a better character than Clemont. However, I do think there's more potential with Sophocles, because I've seen things about him that could be interesting when placed in certain scenarios.

I actually believe he picked him because Clemont went through the same ordeal already. At the beginning, people actually believed that he had the potential and he would break the "third wheel boy" curse. And yet, look what happened to him.

The latest episode revealed more about Sophocles? Well, the "Retake the Gym" episode showed us more about Clemont than what we originally knew, like why he was traveling and the whole mess with the robot. Also, that episode had a longstanding impact to the series, which is seen when Lumiose is being overtaken in the Team Flare arc. We saw the dedication he has given to his robot, and his heartbreak when he was forced to shut him down. It may not be much, but it sure as heck was relevant.

And, frankly speaking, I don't see how Sophocles sulking will have any relevance in the future. Unless it will have a role where he is afraid to lose a friend in a wormhole and goes "Full Hero Mode" to go save said friend, that's it. If all, he would get over his crybaby status and show some guts, I suppose.

…But I'm forgetting we're talking about the comedic SM, and that would imply actual "action".

How unfortunate… I guess he will just save a friend by sipping some tea with an Ultra Beast while his friend sneaks away, since that would be way more funny.

And yeah, a part of me would like to see that happening, for some odd reason.

Ash not being hyper-focused on his goal has been a good thing, though I'm probably alone in thinking that. I find that when he's fixated on a goal his personality becomes restricted, whereas at the moment other parts of his personality - the ones we don't see that often - are allowed to come out. So for me at least he becomes a better-rounded character.

I suppose, but don't completely forgo his actual role and goal in the process, though.

I wouldn't have a problem if we actually saw him working in achieving his dream, from time to time, and making plans to get a Z-Crystal, or going to some place to hone his skills, or battling. After all, he is a Pokémon Trainer, so he is expected to behave like a Pokémon Trainer true to his name. And yet, he has spent 99% of his time with silly stuff that has nothing to do with training. Heck, he isn't even doing much school-related stuff, which was one of the most hyped things of the saga. He surely won't get his diploma by goofing around all day.

So far, he has done very little to achieve his main goal or even to graduate, and that's simply unacceptable. There is more in life than just taking break after break after school, after all.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom