• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think of Sun & Moon?

What do you think?

• I'm totally hyped!

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • It looks kinda cool...

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I'm not too big on it.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I hate it and hope it dies in a fire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too early to say...

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters
All I will say is; absolutely nothing until we know more.

Simply because I find it amazing how a bland first pair of games (XY, story terms), can push people into wanting a potential new bland pair of first games, over closure and a good closing story to the Kalos region. They could make the same mistakes, if not worse for the second time, who knows? I'm not saying they will, but the argument against a 'Z' for a new pair is somewhat funny :D I'm fine with either, it's just, I don't understand why you'd want games that "scratch the surface" and introduce awesome new things like a new region, Pokémon ect, WITHOUT even coming close to understanding how or why they've left Zygarde as they did.

If there is a potential third mascot for the 7th gen (of the original pairs), and people like it more than Zygarde (namely those who are pushing so hard for Gen VII) and it doesn't get it's time in the limelight, don't come back here and complain with sentences like "erghhhh, let's just move on, GEN 8, GEN 8!"... cause that's where things could get really really messy. If you don't like the third game formula, fine, some people don't but it still no reason for people to say "let's move on, to some more great bland games" lol.

Not really sure on whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand, a new generation is a great way to draw attention to a new region. Not only that, but now that Game Freak has 3D models they can reuse, they can put more resources into new side-features, post-game content, and a proper storyline (XY at least tried, but they didn't really do good in those regards. They're still decent tiles in their own merit, however). On the other hand, there are also a few reasons why this move could blow up in Game Freaks faces:
  • Since the first paired versions aren't really heavy on content, and the fact that Kalos has way too many loose ends, even when not taking Zygarde into account, it makes me wonder if Game Freak is even going to bother fleshing out the Gen. 7 region in a way that they most likely aren't bothering to do with Kalos.
  • Announcing Gen. 7 towards the end of the 3DS' life cycle without fleshing out their previous generation is not only unfair to Kalos, but to the Gen. 7 region as well. Assuming Game Freak don't want a repeat of the Black and White dilemma when they were still on Gen. 5 on the DS even with the arrival of the 3DS, it is quite possible that Gen. 7 will only have one pair of games. Assuming they keep up the near-yearly release plan, that doesn't give us a lot of time to appreciate Gen. 7 if there are no plans to lengthen the generation via either remakes or third versions.
  • Game Freak didn't show anything about Sun and Moon other than concept art and a confirmation that they exist. This makes me question how long they've been developing these games, and whether or not the only reason they exist is to subvert our Z expectations. That doesn't give me high hopes about the quality, especially if this means that they're trying to rush the game out. Of course, Game Freak is most likely farther along than that, but I still can't help but worry.
  • We already have plenty of pandering towards past generations, with Kanto overshadowing Kalos, and Hoenn remakes taking place of the typical third version (both with only the Mason, though at least ORAS had Contests and Secret Bases while Kalos had little-to-no side content). I'd rather they keep this nostalgia trip contained into one generation rather than it hindering Gen, 7's potential to have its own identity... unless the other regions overshadowing the new region's culture becomes a part of the plot, which I can totally get behind!
Overall, it could go either way. However, the things that I've mentioned don't fare well for Sun and Moon. I just hope that these games are better than I expect. As long as they try to consider and subvert/avert one of those negative points, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
it's cool and i'm hyped!!
when does release the leaks from coro coro magazine!!! XXD

I will try to be positive about it. It is great that new games were announced but the downside was the dismissal of Zygarde's forms. But I will wait and see more info about the games before judging them. Zygarde maybe post game for all I know.

Too early to say.

Personally, I wished they didn't jump into Generation VII so fast. At first, I thought them releasing core games every year was bad and it couldn't get worse than that. I was wrong. New core games a year are not nearly as bad as having new generations come up so soon. I don't care for that. I wish they would go back to releasing a new core game a year, or, even better, releasing more spin-off games to give us our Gen VI Pokemon fix. Nice we got some Mystery Dungeon games and Pokken Tournament, but what about a Stadium-esque game? I would have rather had that than Pokken Tournament since we already have Smash Bros! I would have even loved another Pokepark game with Gen VI Pokemon! I am getting a sickening feeling that is what the series is leaning towards to nothing but the handheld core games as being the only games to look forward to, with them pumping out a new generation every 3 years.

On the other hand, I am happy we are getting new games that aren't remakes. I kind of wished they focused more on Kalos instead of going back to Hoenn, because seriously, what a waste. I loved ORAS, but to go from something as full of potential as Kalos (X and Y had their flaws, but a return trip could have fixed them), to remakes of something already established only for them to make things more confusing, and now to a new generation... wow. I thought Unova had it bad. Kalos was basically screwed over any real world building.

Again, I am just typing what I feel. For all I know Sun and Moon are going to be fantastic. So far I am not impressed with what tiny bit was revealed in the form of Magearna. The Zygarde formes are neat and they could be a connecting link to the two generations for all I know. I just hope them jumping to Gen VII so soon is worth it.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom