• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think of the XY saga so far?

P0KEM0N

Reaction score
Like the title says, what do you think of the XY anime so Far? I personally have mixed feeling about this saga because I'm not much of a fan of the filler episodes and I already know Ash is going to lose in the Kalos League. The only thing that keeps this from unwatchable is how the game characters are going to portrayed, and the Ash and Serena relationship turns out.

It's been great so far. The non fillers especially have been some fantastic episodes. We're getting to see the main cast pokemon personalities and Ash is visibly training his pokemon. The group is quite fun. Bonnie and Clemont are great. Serena's a tad stalkery haha. And the Battles have been a massive improvement this saga. Both Animation and Strategy.

I've never cared for filler so that doesn't bother me, since I just don't watch them. Do get annoyed with Team Rocket just showing up now though.

The XY series has showed a lot of promise in its first seventeen episodes. Ash, Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena make for a nice group of people to follow and its refreshing to have a group where most of the characters are around the same age, instead of Ash and his female companions essentially being babysat by a Brock or Cilan. The animation is good, and makes the battles look far better than they ever have before. I actually look forward to the next episodes of the show with some reasonable expectations that they’ll be at least enjoyable, and while there’ve been episodes I found boring (XY011-XY013, XY016) I don’t outright hate any of them.

While I don’t know if Ash is exactly where I want him to be as a character (that would be the Sinnoh League version of Ash that Diamond & Pearl left off on, before BW came along...), he’s still more enjoyable than the last 3 years. There’ve been two episodes, XY006 and XY017, where he’s taken losses and then improved from them, which is something I haven’t seen him do since DP ended. The opening sequence of him and Froakie training in XY017 is a good sign that he’ll be doing that a bit more. Froakie is on-track right now to be Ash’s best Water-type Pokemon yet. It’s taken a lot of losses right now, but I imagine they’re all for the purpose of building it to be stronger later on. The starters being distributed between Ash, Clemont, and Serena means that there’s less of a chance for it to be upstaged later on by an Infernape/Pignite, and there’s more of a chance for it to evolve later - which would finally break that annoying trend of all of Ash’s Water-type Pokemon, Kingler excepted, not evolving. Fletching, sadly, is the usual ignored Flying-type Pokemon now - but the fact that it evolves into a Fire-type later on gives it a chance to be used more later-on (unless Ash should catch another Fire-type, that is). Pikachu also seems to be taking a backseat to, so let’s hope that’s something that sticks.

Clemont has already surpassed Brock, Tracey, and Cilan in the role of “knowledgeable male companion who cooks” as far as I’m concerned - a funny character with a running gag who actually has enough of a human side so that he has less of a chance of devolving into nothing but a gimmick. His Chespin is a fun enough Pokemon and Bunnelby is at least a strong enough battler (though, much like Fletchling, I wish we’d see more of it). We’ll see if that sticks. Bonnie is pretty cute and entertaining, but (IMO) more so when she’s off to the side of the action than when she’s in the focus of an episode. I do like that she’s Dedenne’s unofficial trainer, so that she can sometimes take part in the action.

Team Rocket remains in-character, for the most part, and XY has finally realized that they can do that while not being a part of every episode. Their appearances usually have some meaning behind them.

That all being said, there are three worrying elements to the series that I hope get addressed later on. The first would concern the filler episodes (XY008, XY011-XY016). While I enjoyed XY008, XY014, and XY015, I find the plot/character-heavy episodes to be far better than them. The issue I have with that is that when a series only has one major story arc, Ash’s, to follow that means there are going to be a lot of filler episodes, and I would hope that the majority of them are entertaining or it’s going to make for a boring series going forward.

The second concerns Serena. I don’t mind her general characterization. I think she can be entertaining when she plays a prominent role in an episode. But I don’t really like how she’s only had one focus episode so far, XY007, and her next one won’t be until XY021. So from late November to late March, she’s just been on the sidelines while Ash, Clemont, Bonnie, and their Pokemon have been taking up all the action. That might not be a problem if she’d become the “Brock/Cilan” of the group and did the cooking and general care-taking, but since Clemont has also taken that role, you start to wonder just what niche she’s supposed to fill. I don’t think Serena needs a goal, especially when her only choices are Rhyhorn Racing, PokeVision, “be the greatest [BLANK] Pokemon Master/Breeder/etc.”, and so on. But I do think she needs to be seen gaining something out of the journey, even if it’s just that she’s slowly coming to find a goal. Hopefully XY021 is the start of that, otherwise what we’re left with is another “Brock” - an only-occasionally-entertaining character who doesn’t really do much (and again, even Brock filled a role) and only gets overshadowed by everyone else.

The third concerns Ash. While I like him now, I worry that - without a good rival (and it doesn’t look like Sanpei will be an actual rival who’s challenging the Kalos League, unless I missed something in that last episode) - he’ll become just like Advanced Generation Ash was, stagnant with a story arc that’s really just a boring rehash of an arc that’s been done several times beforehand. And that’s not a period I really want the character to revisit again. I hope XY can keep Ash and his quest entertaining in spite of this, because unlike AG there's no May nor is there a secondary storyline to keep things interesting this time.

All that aside, the XY anime has been pretty fun and I’m enjoying it. While there are some things I hope it fixes as time goes on, it’s been a definite improvement over the last saga in just about every possible way so far. I hope it keeps its momentum.

The most important thing I'm looking for out of XY is that is doesn't repeat the "mistakes", as I prefer to call them, that BW made. So far, there's been a noticeable improvement in storytelling, characterisation and battles, which is very promising, and if it continued in this way I think it'd end being a pretty solid saga. By all accounts, it's off to a good start.

What I believe to be the most noticeable thing is the number of character-centric episodes, particular on Clement, that we've already had. They're doing a good job of establishing what sort of characters we're going to be following for the duration of the saga and are making a good effort to make them three-dimensional characters, which is something I felt BW didn't do very well. The return of the focus on the Pokemon is also very welcome, and already Froakie stands out as a personality. And of course, Ash re-discovering his battle brain is fantastic.

Balancing this out, though, is a number of bland filler episodes that neither focused on a character or made an effort to be particularly funny or intense and just ended up being forgettable. Inevitably we're going to get plenty of filler, so I hope they improve the quality of them otherwise the series will drag.

I'm not overly concerned about Serena at this moment in time since it's still early days. I'll start to worry if we get to around episode 40 and no progress has been made.

OMG OMG OMG I REALLY LOVE X&Y!!! I love Ash's voice, I love Serena! I really think Ash has grown up a lot despite the fact that the show says he's still 10. :/ lmao He sure doesn't act 10. :) I love Ash and Pikachu's friendship. INSEPERABLE! it is physically and mentally impossible for them to be apart. it's so sweet, and so beautiful! and lets talk Romance! Ash and Serena! I really think they're going to have some serious advances this season! I'm sure of it! This is huge! concidering he's been completely OBLIVIOUS with ALL girls in the past. which pisses me off big time because it's completly obvious and it's right in front him yet he doesn't see it! I pray to Arceus that he'll finally see it with Serena! Something good is definately going to happen this season!

I like the series so far. I love the pokemon and I like the cast. What I don't like is that no one seems to be doing much of anything quest wise. It was difficult for me sitting through BW where barely anyone did anything for their so called goals, so it hurts me to watch such a large cast with nothing to do so far.

The characters are entertaining in their own way and I like that the group seems to be close in friendship. We haven't seen that in a while so it's kind of nice.

I'm loving it so far. I can't really say there's anything I really dislike about it. It definitely already beats it's predecessor in everyway possible in my opinion.

I love all of the characters and let me also mention how much I love their interactions with each other. They all feel kind of like siblings, which is why I like that they're all around the same age rather than having two who are around the same age and one who's much older and/or younger.

Clemont is my favorite character so far. I like how he's trying to gain more confidence from Ash and become more courageous. It's really the first time we've had another trainer traveling companion look up to Ash like a big brother figure rather than the other way around. He's got something he wants to accomplish and is working towards it. I like his lack of confidence, since he actually has flaws, unlike the previous boys who I felt were a bit...I don't want to say Gary-stuish, but they really didn't have much they were trying to work for imo. In addition, Clemont is also pretty frickin' hilarious, which I also like. A character who can be serious and have a goal and also be entertaining and not annoying.

Bonnie is adorableness personified. She has frickin Tyrantrum pajamas. I LOVE her. I love how much she loves Pokémon and wants to take care of them. It's also great that she's taking care of Dedenne so she can work more on her trainer skills with an actual Pokémon that's with her all the time. I like her cute little marriage proposal gag with Clemont. It's adorable, and so far isn't in excess. I definitely hope she gets to do more battles with Dedenne in the future. Not really official battles, but practice battles with the group would be nice.

Serena is nice too. I don't have a problem with her not being as active in these first 20 or so episodes. After all, it's not like she really knew what she wanted to do after finding Ash. It's actually rather realistic that she's spending a while just looking for a goal. She's just a child after all. I like her personality as well. She's really nice, but can be a bit sassy. I also found her hilarious in the Espurr episode where she kept scaring Ash and Clemont with her theories. I just wish that she'll get more screentime with Fennekin in whatever she chooses to do.

And last Ash. Much better than the last season. He's a great battler using his interesting battling style, he's badass stopping Garchomp from destroying a city, he hasn't had anything that I'd call a BS or DEM battle. So I'm really liking Ash, he reminds me of his AG/DP self and I'm trilled.

I'm also liking the Pokmon much more. None of them have been annoying and I'm liking their personalities.

So overall, really loving it XY so far, and I hope it continues to impress.

I'm loving it so far. I can't really say there's anything I really dislike about it. It definitely already beats it's predecessor in everyway possible in my opinion.

I love all of the characters and let me also mention how much I love their interactions with each other. They all feel kind of like siblings, which is why I like that they're all around the same age rather than having two who are around the same age and one who's much older and/or younger.

Clemont is my favorite character so far. I like how he's trying to gain more confidence from Ash and become more courageous. It's really the first time we've had another trainer traveling companion look up to Ash like a big brother figure rather than the other way around. He's got something he wants to accomplish and is working towards it. I like his lack of confidence, since he actually has flaws, unlike the previous boys who I felt were a bit...I don't want to say Gary-stuish, but they really didn't have much they were trying to work for imo. In addition, Clemont is also pretty frickin' hilarious, which I also like. A character who can be serious and have a goal and also be entertaining and not annoying.

Bonnie is adorableness personified. She has frickin Tyrantrum pajamas. I LOVE her. I love how much she loves Pokémon and wants to take care of them. It's also great that she's taking care of Dedenne so she can work more on her trainer skills with an actual Pokémon that's with her all the time. I like her cute little marriage proposal gag with Clemont. It's adorable, and so far isn't in excess. I definitely hope she gets to do more battles with Dedenne in the future. Not really official battles, but practice battles with the group would be nice.

Serena is nice too. I don't have a problem with her not being as active in these first 20 or so episodes. After all, it's not like she really knew what she wanted to do after finding Ash. It's actually rather realistic that she's spending a while just looking for a goal. She's just a child after all. I like her personality as well. She's really nice, but can be a bit sassy. I also found her hilarious in the Espurr episode where she kept scaring Ash and Clemont with her theories. I just wish that she'll get more screentime with Fennekin in whatever she chooses to do.

And last Ash. Much better than the last season. He's a great battler using his interesting battling style, he's badass stopping Garchomp from destroying a city, he hasn't had anything that I'd call a BS or DEM battle. So I'm really liking Ash, he reminds me of his AG/DP self and I'm trilled.

I'm also liking the Pokmon much more. None of them have been annoying and I'm liking their personalities.

So overall, really loving it XY so far, and I hope it continues to impress.

:')

What do I think of the XY saga?

It SUCKS.

This series was hailed to be many things: Diamond & Pearl 2.0, an "apology" for Best Wishes!, a "return to form", etc. Serena was supposed to "clean up the mess that Iris made". TR would be "back to normal"! Ash would be "awesome" again! Bonnie would be Max, but better!

So, how much of that was actually true?

CHARACTERS:

Ash Ketchum: The main character, who nearly everyone wanted to be replaced, and for good reason. He's been stale for many years, having no real redeeming qualities aside from his battling skill (which went to hell in BW). How is he in this series? I, for one, think he's worse here than in either DP or BW. The writers seem to think that if they exaggerate his emotions (see: His reaction to Alexa/Viola not bending to him), that automatically makes him more human, but instead, it just comes off as artificial. Need I even mention his overglorification or how predictable he is today? He's not even a character anymore, he's just an avatar for Sarah Natochenny/Rica Matsumoto. Enough about him, let's move on to...

Serena: Nothing more than a tool used to glorify Ash. She is very bland, and very much blends in the background, not unlike DP Brock. Any personality traits (see: the Pancham episode and her sassiness with her mom in the beginning) are either used only once and never brought up again, or disappear altogether. Before this series was released, the main thing she was known for was having known Ash from childhood (as well as Amourshipping). This is a problem in and of itself, because her character is too dependent on Ash, but sometime after the Rhyhorn episode, they've stopped promoting Amourshipping in the actual episodes (I heard Kindergarten Chaos! hinted at it more than the episode would have you believe, but I don't watch XY episode previews). This should be a good thing, right? Well, like I said before, she doesn't really have much personality, so now she has no two legs to stand on.

Also, as a side note, many try and deflect criticism of her by saying "It's only been X episodes, wait" (did you give Iris that chance? No). But if Serena isn't a compelling character, then why should we?

Clemont & Bonnie: Bonnie is okay when interacting with Clemont, but any other time, she grates on me (this is a problem). Almost everything they do with her feels forced. So she's not the least bit entertaining without Clemont? Gee, that sounds familiar... however, one thing I will say is that at least they haven't overused her gag. As for Clemont... I like him, actually. He's the only character that I think is actually - get this - good. He actually feels like a young boy (unlike Ash), and shows signs of character development. Really, the only problem I have with him is that the gag of his inventions blowing up on everyone and then giving them frizzy hair has wore thin for me already.

Team Rocket: I combined the three of them into one entry because they're no longer distinct characters. They talk and act the same. In Diamond & Pearl, they got a bad rep for their flanderized personalities, but they were still personalities, no matter how much we didn't like it andhow exaggerated they were. Here, they might as well be generic Rocket grunts. They don't provide humor or conflict, they don't feel like main characters even. You know those random trainers in the games who keep bothering you when they want to lose yet another battle? That's basically Team Rocket if you put them in the antagonist role. Enough about them, let's move on to...

Humor: I'm sure I'm not the first one to say this, but I'll talk about it anyway. I briefly brought it up in the Clemont & Bonnie sections, but never really touched upon it. I have to say, this series is extremely weak in the humor department. Wait, that would imply that there's any in the first place. It's lacking. This show's sorry excuses for "humor" include, but are not limited to: Ash fawning over Clemont's inventions, Team Rocket, Clemont's inventions blowing up in his face and Bonnie making some "snide" comment, Team Rocket, Bonnie's proposal gag - and did I mention Team Rocket? - over and over and over again. (Quick question: Did you get sick of me saying "Team Rocket" over and over again? Well, that's pretty much what XY's humor is like, and as you can imagine, it gets really old really fast. The dialogue and interactions are pretty generic for the most part and nothing to write home about. There aren't any really memorable quotes or moments (other than maybe XY019's ending), but that's been a problem for the longest time.

I'll cover episodes, and other things later on tonight.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about it. XY saga started of pretty strong, but like most other sagas plot and characters are starting to enter grinding game feeling like things are stagnationg.

I mean yes it can be said how its still early to judge "book by its cover" but since point of this topic is to provide impression on Kalos so far im going to post my own somewhat formed impressions on current pacing, story, plots and characters based on first 17 episodes.

On positive side i find Kalos group to be pretty good. I like Ash character portrayal so far staying faithful to intelligence and maturity feeling like he continued from where he left in Hoenn and DP ignoring mess which happened in BW imo. But he also radiates with certain charm, individuality and brash, exciting nature being unselfish and passionate indiovidual which would risk his life to save other pokemon, throw himself in ground to soften fall for other pokemon(like Fletching and Froakie) and challenge thiefs or villains to protect friends and pokemon. It may not be handled most consistently as character, but so far im enjoying in Ash, his interactions with Clemont being fascionated over his inventions and serving like "most mature, experienced" figure to cast. Kinda ironic, given how it was usually other way around.

Clemont is my favorite of new companions being refreshing to see male sidekick getting certain development, focus on his story and motivation to become more courageous and skilled learning from Ash. With fruits of being in his company really starting to show of more and more. In fact another very good thing going in his favor is more active approach writers are taking with secondary male this early in series having motivation in becoming more collected and asertive as character leading to culimination in Ash battle vs him fior 5th badge. Which i presume would serve as test to how much his journey with Ash and collected experience helped him in becoming better trainer.

Hopefully afterwards he wont start stagnating losing steam to continue further. Though im not that much wirried because his passion for invention and gadgets opens potential to dive more into whole thing not just staying on gimmick. Such as there exiosting events for inventors, opportunity to dive more in past and have him strive on becoming better at perfecting them. Be involved in Team Flare plot and whatever role his father Limone may play in it with mega Blaziken infiltrating Clemont to play important part in mega evolutions subplot too.

There is also that sister aspect going between Serena and Bonnie admiring their close bond and cute interactions they established rather quickly accompanied with funny moments like imitating together TR, Bonnie looking for Serena protection when scared, joking about bugs etc.

With XY cast radiating with certain optimism and peaceful atmosphere. Though if there is never conflict involved, competitive spark or agitation interactions can in longer run often feel contrived and one dimensional which is one minor nitpick i have with their portrayal so far getting too along for their own good. Especially given how they barely know themselves. But ill wait little moe before bringing full analysis on this to see how will things play out with time.

Architecture and setting where towns are placed, portrayal of gym leaders and battles are pretty good for most part. Enjoying in more detailed and varied battles going on like whole Ash vs Viola rematch using ice field to his advantage outsmarting her, Clemont battle vs Citroid or against that Delphox with even TR posing more of challenge with quite decent use of Wobbufet or Inkay in utilizing ink spray to his benefit.

Since nothing much else happened so far, this is where things ive been content with Kalos series so far ends.

On negative side /aspects im not very thrilled about Kalos series and way they are handled is lack of any direction for main characters aside from Ash to be taken in. As well in general still lacking prelude toplot and more concrete storytelling aside from gyms which was somewhat established by now with each past series(not necessarily referring just to character goals but also main plots which defined each saga having each member be part of it). There are no rivals established yet which would cause strife and provide template through which main characters would have to defend their stance and have someone wanting nto surpass. Filling them with motivation and steadiness in keep improving. There are no main vectors which would keep up steam and inject extra reason for story and its characters to gp forward filling up journey with more relevance. Like it was case with plots like St. Anne arc, stories revolving around legendary pokemon and crisis caused by humsan factor or some natural disaster, important errands like GS ball was or personal conflicts, unresolved flaws which would requitre character to start facing them in order tomove forward and succeed in his own ambitions. For most of them there dont exist any that is.

Not saying there wont be any but as of now XY series are kinda falling behind in establishing much of anything yet as far as im concerned taking things at slower pace.

Current treatment of Serena currently isn't something im especially thrilled about either. I guess i do appreciate that she does have that serene, bright attitude which imbues cast with certain tranquility and optimism. But lack of any direction, desire or agency which would drive her character forward, very, very passive approach not being in real battle or any action for that matter being invoplved to higher extent(something each past female so far outpaced her in terms of development and contribution to story in early stages of region)accompanied with unusually submissive and reticent approach isn't doing her character much favor at all imo.
Rhyhorn racing seemed like promising idea at star, which i find had foundation for some very good development. In sense of building on conflict between Serena and mother in learning how to stand out for herself and gain more independence, inner strength in wanting to choose life path on her own rather than through indoctrination of someone else. But that fell in water.

Granted whole idea of selfsearching trying to find goal on her own might explain Serensa current treatment. Offering room for quite engaging different way of growth.

But im still skeptic over current abnormally passive demeanor and lack of desire to take charge of anything.

Whole romance angle writers decided to implement in Kalos series isn't very thrilling either imo not being sure if i even appreciate direction in which this is taken through retconed past of Ash , blushing and promotional materials. Ending destined to fall apart given how pokemon has no groundwork and way that romance plays important part in story serving as vector for deep, quality growth(like some other anime do) . Sure you could say how May had romantic felings for Drew or Misty for Ash(sopme would say she still do judging by reason behind rejecting date from Georgio) . But they also had their own story, agency, hidden desires wanting to achieve in form of dreams, various fears and flaws haunting them from past or happening due to bad experiences driving characters forward. Ultimately appearing as more independent and filled with more substance.

Something Serena well currently lacks not posessing reasoning or more substance put into her character missing identity to differentiate herself from Ash and be stronger in characterization and her own right. Rather than just being someone extension trying to make notice her.

So far Kalos series are overall getting passable grade from my side because they have potential to be very interesting and meaningful. Whether we are talking about lot of mystery surrounding main cast allowing to take them in unexplored directions(that is if writers dont screw up), Team Flare led by megalomaniac who lost faith in humanity wanting to shape world to his own preference by commiting genocide, mega evolutions, Battle Chateau or that determination and confidence from Ash side wanting to accomplish his aims more than ever which could finally pay of at league making step further.

But current way things are unfolding out leaves room for skepticism deciding not to raise up my expectations too high.

I think it's...solid, to say at least.

It lacks the 'wow' factor that Best Wishes had through constant experiments and creativity (like Iris trying to catch Meowth or Team Rocket becoming serious agents) but it is really solid so far. The XY quartet has an enjoyable chemistry. The bond between Serena and Bonnie is unmistakable and Bonnie is a cute, not even slightly annoying, little girl whose fun gag IS NOT overused like Brock was making me love her even more. I also love how she doesn't stick to the stereotypical definition of cute, but has her own taste.

Ash is not acting like an idiot anymore and his Pokemon have all gotten some nice focus (even Fletchling, who at this point, is already much better treated than Ash's Pidove ever was during Best Wishes). Froakie is the next Sceptile, I can feel it and Pikachu is well, Pikachu. Clemont is the best character imo and I like everything about it, but I think his Bunnelby should get some more focus.

Serena is a character I like, but not surprisingly, the most controversial character of XY. She is very passive and hasn't got that much screentime. Episode seven was amazing in regards to her development (both shipping and character-wise) and I like the fact that she met Ash prior to his Kalos arrival. Plus, her affection for him isn't thrown in our faces, it appears only briefly from time to time. But she needs to battle, she needs to catch Pokemon. Fennekin deserves some action, imo. :/

Not much to talk about in regards to plot, but that Malamar looks like a promising, recurring villain. I am also very interested to see in what way the Blaziken Mask (Limone) will get involved with the plot (Team Flare?) He'll definitely become important later on.

So far it is a solid series, with SOME interesting and lovable characters, like Clemont and Bonnie. No, seriously, they are amazing characters, especially Bonnie. There have been some awesome CotDs so far too, like that ninja boy with a Frogadier, the robot in Clemont's Gym and Malamar. The main and biggest issue I have with XY so far is called Serena. She adds absolutely nothing positive to the series, on the contrary, she is nothing but a tool to glorify Ash, "a love interest". I really dislike this kind of character. She has no personality, no memorable traits (like every other main female character had), she doesn't use her fucking Pokémon (aren't the characters supposed to use them? I mean, the show is called POKÉMON, not HUMANS). And that is a damn shame, because her design is actually really good and she has a Fennekin :| I honestly don't get how people can hate Iris and like her. Certain opinions blow my mind some times.

Anyway, the series does some stuff right, like the dynamic battles. The battles aren't as good as the battles in Diamond & Pearl (sorry, they really aren't), but visually they never were so good. The camera pans, the versus screens and some of the move animations are simply gorgeous. I feel that the CotD's are being handled pretty nicely too... so far. I also like how they are building some misteries, like Blaziken Mask and the mysterious evil Malamar. Also, I wonder if Ash isn't going to have a rival this time around? I am itching for a new rival on the vein of Paul (NOT in terms of personality, the last thing we need is another Paul clone, but in terms of potential as a trainer and rival). I kind of disliked how he had no rivals until late back in Advanced Generation, so I hope that isn't the case in X&Y. I would even take another annoying Gary Oak over no rival whatsoever.

So... yeah, solid series, better than Best Wishes (comparing the first 20 episodes of both series), but sadly I feel like X&Y isn't reaching it is full potential, it isn't even close, actually (exactly like the games didn't reach their potential). Also, I can't help but feel that the writers are playing extremely safe this time. I didn't like Best Wishes that much, I won't deny that, but at least the writers TRIED different stuff in that series and that was amazing. Serena, among other things I mentioned, in my opinion, are certainly dragging down the quality of the show.

Well, we're a good amount of episodes in for me to give an early opinion of the series.

I think XY is a fantastic series so far. Much better than BW in my opinion.

First off, the characters have been vastly improved, which I am ever so grateful for. No longer do we have a regressed Ash being the butt of every joke, but a strong group leader. This is the first time the entire group has looked up to Ash in such a way and I think he deserves it after all this time. He's also gotten his swag back because his few battles so far have been miles better than all of this BW fights. Clemont and Bonnie are a hilarious duo, much better than May and Max were by a long shot, in my opinion. Bonnie's adorable and an awesome aspiring trainer and Clemont's very funny, as well. He always has something interesting to offer, and even though it almost always backfires, it's still awesome to see. Now...Serena. As of now, I can't say I really like her. She's done nothing so far but stalk Ash and talk about stupid girly things, which is irritating. But at the very least, she isn't Iris and is highly supportive of Ash and the rest of the group, so...that's a plus. Team Rocket...also not very good. They've gone back to their foolish ways again and it's a bit of a downer after BW was able to make them useful and somewhat a threat. I'd also like to not Meyer and Sycamore. They're also pretty cool characters. Sycamore in particular is refreshing because Juniper didn't really do much for me. In fact, I find her rather forgettable, which is probably bad for a regional professor, so...good job Sycamore~

The series is also highly entertaining and interesting. I've found these first few episodes funnier than the few things I could find funny in BW as a whole. I also like that everyone in the group (for the most part...Serena) is getting a lot of development and have serious goals this time around.

Another thing, the show is just much better looking in terms of presentation. I don't know what it is, but I found BW, and AG for that matter to be...not pretty, let's just say, in terms of animation. Whereas AG appeared too dark to me, BW seemed...too bring at times with overused, unfitting effects. The animation just didn't do it for me. XY? Beautiful. Nice bright colors, smooth, fluid animation, it all looks great. The battles are amazing, characters' reactions are hilarious all makes for an awesome presentation. Only thing I dislike is how serious they make Team Rocket's eyes look when they themselves don't fit that description.

Finally, and most importantly of course, the Pokemon are ten times better. It seems like each Pokemon has some kind of unique character here and has gotten a good bit of focus. Froakie is probably my favorite so far, along with Bunnelby Dedenne. Froakie made me like the species as a whole. He's amazing and very entertaining. Dedenne and Bonnie are a very funny duo and it's nice that he serves as a first Pokemon for her and isn't completely useless. Bunnelby is also great for being a regional rodent getting some focus for once. Probably because we want him to evolve into Diggersby tho and be a monster. Fletchling and Chespin are also cool in their own ways, each getting a bit of development. Then there's...Fennekin. I actually like Fennekin; it wants to put in some work and help the squad out. It's just (let's just say "her") love-struck trainer won't let her do anything. So hopefully we'll eventually see her in some more battles and maybe even evolve.

Overall, XY is an amazing series so far and is right up there with DP and Episode N in terms of quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I have high hopes for it as the show goes on.

As far as the dub is concerned I think it's too early to call. But from what I've seen, I prefer it this way. DP-BW tried too hard to be dramatic for my taste, it for me it came off as cheesy and melodramatic. The more slice-of-life approach XY has feels less overexcited with itself, with it's toned-down music, toned down yelling about "giving it all you've got" and better animated battles. Would we ever have seen strategies like using Double Team and Dig during DP, filled with exploding attacks and cross-counters?

This is all my personal preference, of course. But I haven't enjoyed watching pokémon this much since at least AG

I think it's pretty cool, it pretty much got me really interested that I'm watching the Japanese version as well!(with subs ._.)

I'd love to see Brock, Misty or Gary make a bit of a cameo, would be really fun to watch(if not in person, then in videophone pl0x) would really love to see Ash reunite with his Pidgeot(maybe when his Fletchling evolves, 'cause y'know...his bird Pokemon always evolve in a bird focused episode :p) or his Butterfree..(even Lapras) since they show a bit of the previous Gen Pokemon around this region...it's just my own little prediction >.>

Would also like to see Ash use different kinds of Poke Balls as well like back in Johto..and I hope his rival will be like Barry from DP, with a little mix of Stephan from BW I even hope Ritchie returns maybe? To compete in the Kalos League as well(although highly unlikely).
Like the other female companions, Iris would probably return for some episodes..maybe to catch a Tyrantrum..or compete in something..(or it'll be May because of the Gen III remakes?) Ash's battling/training so far has been pretty decent imo finding out how to counter attacks or avoid it, but I hope he adapts the Counter-Shield tactic from DP....

Also, I've noticed that his new companions haven't even seen/met Prof. Oak yet..think there would be an episode where he visits Prof. Sycamore after Ash vs Clemont/Citron? Just another hunch from me, though, would also like to see some 2-part Gym battles as well :x

Overall, I'm giving this saga my full support, getting some of the AG roots and some DP styled progression(took Ash awhile to get all 8 badges there, still holding the 52 episode record, lulz) also a nice touch seeing some of the older Gen Pokemon in a new region.

This series is decent so far.

Ash: Little has changed with him other than him now being impressed by Clemont's inventions. He just keeps doing what he has always done. He hasn't trained his team as often during the same time periods for AG, DP, and BW.

Serena: The main female lead, and one of the weakest leaks in the series in my opinion. Serena had little to no buildup with her story or travel. It seemed that she only decided to travel so she can see Ash again. I never understood why Serena needed to get a Pokemon from Professor Sycamore if she just wanted to know where Ash was. Even up to this point, we still don't know what Serena plans to do on her journey. I hope the writers focus on her a bit more in future episodes, because more should be expected from the main female protagonist. Even Iris had a goal when she traveled on her journey.

Clemont and Bonnie: These two are XY's saving grace, in my opinion. They had a really good background story; Clemont had a legitimate reason for not being able to fight Ash right away, and Bonnie was there to help her brother out. Clemont capturing Bunnelby to counter the Electric-type Pokemon in his Gym made sense, and you can tell that he really appreciated how his challengers would have felt when they tried to fight his own Electric Pokemon. Clemont does serve as an interesting foil for the other main characters, who are far more assertive and confident than he is. Nevertheless, Clemont has learned a thing or two from travelling with Ash; he put his life on the risk numerous times to help the others out, even though he is not the athletic type. Clemont also began to appreciate people more once he started to travel; before his journey, all Clemont cared about was inventing more machines. In many cases, Clemont used his scientific and technological prowess to help the others out; some of his mechas were really useful in solving certain problems, even if they were failures. Bonnie serves as his counterpart and direct foil; she is hyperactive, confident, energetic, and very brash for a little girl. It's nice to see Bonnie trying to set her brother up with women much older than he is, which serves as both comic relief and characterization. Unfortunately, Bonnie's Dedenne hasn't contributed much, with it essentially being used as a plaything like Misty's Togepi was in OS.

TRio and Wobbuffet: TRio appeared to have their BW pre-Decolore Islands personalities for the first few episodes, with them appearing to be a bit more competent during battles. Even Wobbuffet got a major buff to its agility. It moves around more often when it is in battle, which is nice considering we're used to seeing Wobbuffet stand still when it performs Counter or Mirror Coat. After Ash got his first badge, TRio seemed to go back and forth from their pre-BW and BW series personalities. They are definitely around more often than they had been in BW, which is a nice change of pace.

Pacing: So far, the series had a decent pacing, although it would have been nice to see Aquacorde Town. I have no clue how Serena made it from Vaniville Town to Lumiose City in less than one episode, though; Ash and the others spent a good two episodes on Route 4 alone. As expected, the first Gym Battle was awarded fairly quickly, since Ash vs. Viola was set up even before BW ended. There is a bigger gap for Ash's second gym battle, though. Hopefully during this time, Ash will begin to train up his Kalos team a bit more.

...I just realized something.

This might be the first generation where Ash has a water starter that evolves.

If that happens, that(along with creating something of a back story for Ash,having him use his head in battle again, and having one of the best travel partners EVER with Clement) might be just enough to make it one of the best in the entire series.

This series has been good so far.

The pacing has been handled really great so far, Team rocket still have their evil BW personalities and that is a goodthing.

Ash might have a fully evovled water starter this time around.

Last edited:
One of my favorites so Far some thing about it attracts me to watching it cant put my finger on it though.

It's okay. Not the best that I've personally seen tbh.
- Clemont is great; I have no problems with him. He's getting character development, and enough focus. He also has a cool personality and I like his running gag, constantly building inventions.
- Bonnie's gag attempting to ask people to marry Clemont can get creepy, but aside from that I like her.
- Ash seems more intelligent than he was in BW, but so far I have found him to be kind of boring. It doesn't help that he gets more focus than all of his other companions put together. I can get tired of him very easily in this series.
- Serena needs to be more active in the show. She has potential to be a fun character but that's not happening because Ash and Clemont get all of the focus. ;/ She hardly does anything at all that contributes to the development of her pokemon.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom